FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Communion and particles on floor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I couldn't go to the Latin Mass this week and I went to a nearby parish. After the Mass I wanted to go pray by the Tabernacle and as I was walking near the front of the church, I remembered reading about Communion in the hand... I read before that little particles stay on peoples hands and then fall to the floor. I was worried about potentially walking over the particles but I kept walking. But after I felt really horrible and I still do. I'm afraid what if I did step on particles of the Host? I don't know why I didn't just take another way :( I'm wondering is this some sacrilige that I committed? Could I even be excommunicated? But it makes me sad anyway to think that this could have happened. :( we should really go back to altar rails and patens...
You're not excommunicated. Even if you did step on some particles it wasn't intentional.
Communion bread is today rather firm.

It is horrible what goes on. Bishop Schneider, who works tirelessly to protect the Eucharist, said his priest in Khazakhstan, who was martyred, told his family to never enter a Church with this evil practice, and his mother wept when they couldn't find a Church in Germany that didn't practice communion in the hand.
This is also a dealbreaker to me, when I hear "apologists" defending communion in the hand I simply cannot take them serious (of course, its understandable when a priest, especially religious, cannot escape this practice when he prays the NO).
Your care is commendable, but I think you have some degree of scruples. You cannot unknowingly be excommunicated; if you've incurred a censure, you know you've incurred a censure, much in the same way that you know you're in the state of mortal sin when all the necessary conditions are met. If you're even slightly unsure, you are not excommunicated. :)

I think your fine. Even if you did step on some, you didn't mean to do so.

While I aqm against communion in the hand on the basis that it is "messier", I think people who practice it get a lot more bad reputation than they deserve. Most people or at least many who receive communion in the hand do so carefully and reverently. Until altar rails and patens are restored in churches, it may be "safer" to receive in the hand as this means there is at least something under the host when you receive rather than just having the priest dangle it over your tongue. The thing I dislike is when people take the host back to their pew and then receive it, that's when most of the trouble starts. Luckily most people at my church know what they are doing. I've yet to find any sacred host bits on the ground
(12-20-2015, 04:17 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]I think your fine. Even if you did step on some, you didn't mean to do so.

While I aqm against communion in the hand on the basis that it is "messier", I think people who practice it get a lot more bad reputation than they deserve. Most people or at least many who receive communion in the hand do so carefully and reverently. Until altar rails and patens are restored in churches, it may be "safer" to receive in the hand as this means there is at least something under the host when you receive rather than just having the priest dangle it over your tongue. The thing I dislike is when people take the host back to their pew and then receive it, that's when most of the trouble starts. Luckily most people at my church know what they are doing. I've yet to find any sacred host bits on the ground

That is so not my experience. In every NOM I've been to, even reverent NOMs, the majority of people receive it and pick it up with their fingers. There is, overall, a very irreverent ethos everywhere this Calvinistic practice spreads.
Also, its more than just being messier. I'd recommend +Schneider's books on the subject.
(12-20-2015, 02:16 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: [ -> ]I couldn't go to the Latin Mass this week and I went to a nearby parish. After the Mass I wanted to go pray by the Tabernacle and as I was walking near the front of the church, I remembered reading about Communion in the hand... I read before that little particles stay on peoples hands and then fall to the floor. I was worried about potentially walking over the particles but I kept walking. But after I felt really horrible and I still do. I'm afraid what if I did step on particles of the Host? I don't know why I didn't just take another way :( I'm wondering is this some sacrilige that I committed? Could I even be excommunicated? But it makes me sad anyway to think that this could have happened. :( we should really go back to altar rails and patens...

This very very bad news little_flower. You walk all over Jesus Like so many do. This makes Jesus very sad towards you little_flower. You no be excommunicated though. You just break His Sacred Heart. But you are right little_flower people must NOT receive in hands and go back to alter rails and patens. But dont feel horrible that why Jesus give great gift of Sacrament of Confession. You go confess this thing you carelessly did. But you no intentionaly breaK Sacred Heart. You sin not grave/ but vienal/ so you go confess now and all will be Kosher with Mashiach.
There is a vast difference between you intentionally walking over an area where there may or may not be particles and knowing there are particles on the floor and walking there with the specific intent of desecrating the Eucharist. I don't think you should worry. You didn't do anything offensive.
Whenever I remember this I just feel really sad and scared :( the reason I was walking there was to get to the area near the Tabernacle because I always do this after Mass and I wanted to pray. Yet at the same time as I was walking I thought maybe there are particles there. So I did it knowingly but not with the intent of malice to desecrate, I was walking there to pray. I hope that means I'm not excommunicated but I just feel like I was very careless towards Jesus. I'll try to go to Confession later this week and explain to a priest... There's a Latin Mass parish that has Confession every day
Have you seen this?

http://www.fisheaters.com/scruples.html

I think you should read it over carefully. It definitely sounds like you are falling into scruples. Like I said, you are by no means excommunicated; if you were, you would know without a shadow of a doubt.

"Maybe there are particles there" is very different in terms of tone than, "I bet there are particles there. I will go and trample them in order to desecrate them."

Please don't worry. It's okay. Obviously you care about Our Lord in the Eucharist very much.  :grin:
Unless you can see the particles, there's no way for you to know that any were there. It's not like you intentionally saw some bits on the floor and intentionally stepped on them.

We could talk about communion in the hand forever, there are so many issues with it and really very little to almost nothing to support it.