FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Essay in Catholic History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My girlfriend is taking a course in "Christian History to the Reformation" and has to write a 10-12 page paper on a topic that falls under that purview. I have agreed to help and we brainstormed some topic ideas which I will post below. Any ideas for topics or suggestions for the topics below are welcome.

Mass of Ages: The History of the Holy Mass

Theotokos: Patristic Marian Theology

This Is My Body: The Eucharist in Christian History

St. Michael the Archangel in the Christian Tradition

Seasons of the Church in the Middle Ages

Rites in the Church and How They Were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seasons of the church.
Before the reformation, everyone's life revolved around the partying and fasts of the church year. Carnival's purpose was to use up salted meat that would get warm and bad during spring, in addition to the getting rid of it before Lent. Easter and All Saints' were the most important holidays, I believe. And back then people partied and drank during holidays. I imagine a lot of feasts were important for farming
Easter-spring
St. John- summer
Michaelmas-autumn
Christmas-winter

with Candlemas, Ascension/Pentecost, Lammas day and All Saints' coming in between
Health care crisis caused by the Reformation. As countries purged anything "popish," that included the monks and nuns who ran hospitals. At that time, the clergy were some of the few educated people in Europe, so there was no ready replacement to step in and fill their shoes.

I like the seasons idea, too. I find the Church's seasons and feasts, the way they're all celebrated, the Embertides' marking of the seasons, etc., all very interesting and beautiful!  Stuff on these pages might help you:

http://www.fisheaters.com/time.html
http://www.fisheaters.com/customs.html

Good luck with the paper!

How about:

Sicut Judaeis Non: The Church's Policy Toward the Jews  (that'd make people's hair stand up)
Usury: The Forgotten Sin
The Great Heresies before Luther

(01-27-2016, 09:25 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]How about:

Sicut Judaeis Non: The Church's Policy Toward the Jews  (that'd make people's hair stand up)
Usury: The Forgotten Sin
The Great Heresies before Luther

As much as I would love to help her write any of those papers, I don't think that she would be up for a paper written on the Jewish question.

These are all really great! Thanks for the advice guys. I will keep you posted.

These are all great ideas, but be sure not to be too broad.  "Sicut Judaeis Non: The Church's Policy Toward the Jews" sounds excellent, but it might be helpful to add something like "after the unification of Italy."  You mentioned that she probably wouldn't want to touch that subject, but that's just an example.  The healthcare crisis that followed the reformation is a very good topic.  "Heresies before Luther" sounds good as well, although focusing on one heresy (especially a lesser-known one) might work better with that length requirement.