FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Lent 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello Fishies,

Lent is a week away.  Anyone started their Lent prep?  Trying to determine what to give up this year/what prayers to etc and was looking for some inspiration.

Thanks!
I'm going to be doing the Montfort consecration to Jesus through Mary ending on Good Friday/Annunciation in preparation for Easter. Other than that I'm just going to work on praying my Rosary every day, going to confession more often, praying parts of the DO, etc. Its gonna be interesting.

As for penance, I sometimes take cold showers and I'm fasting some.
I will follow the traditional fasting rules that the Church gives to us.

I intend to also attend Mass during the week (when possible), be more diligent in praying the Divine Office and in praying the Rosary, and limit my internet usage by avoiding certain blogs that make me angry and that lead to my arguing with people. 

I'm also trying to find something good to read.
(02-03-2016, 01:50 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also trying to find something good to read.

Have you ever heard of this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Searching-Maintain...ning+peace

Two excellent priests, one a personal friend of our family, have said independently that every catholic needs a copy on his book shelf. I have one on order, and am planning to read it during lent.
Ah Lent. In a way it's kinda like the Catholic New Years resolution time.

I plan on working on my discipline in all aspects of life. Wake up earlier, work out and consume less entertainment.

I plan to work on cultivating a better prayer life. Include the Rosary into my life. Attend Mass during the week if possible, confession more often, Eucharist adoration.

I'm going to seek this Lenten season to start down a path of a more noble and Godly life.

Not sure Im  going to strictly give anything up but as stated above I am going to reduce my entertainment consumption. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gonna do an all life confession. Pray more times the Rosary. Wake up earlier.
I'll give up candy Sticking tongue out at you

I know, very childish. I reckon I've already gained a bit of discipline in the morning and whatnot : waking up early, praying, etc., and working out and rosary at night, so there's no point in doing that as a special thing. I might work on my concentration, though, but that's something I was going to do even without Lent. At the end of the day candy is the best option.

I'm also looking for something to read, but not anything depressing—my confessor told me to avoid depressing stuff, because of my temperament and whatnot. So, not anything very Lenty. Any recommendations ?
(02-03-2016, 04:18 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]I'll give up candy Sticking tongue out at you

I know, very childish. I reckon I've already gained a bit of discipline in the morning and whatnot : waking up early, praying, etc., and working out and rosary at night, so there's no point in doing that as a special thing. I might work on my concentration, though, but that's something I was going to do even without Lent. At the end of the day candy is the best option.

I'm also looking for something to read, but not anything depressing—my confessor told me to avoid depressing stuff, because of my temperament and whatnot. So, not anything very Lenty. Any recommendations ?

Nothing depressing? How about The Joyful Ways of the Saints, by Sr. Mary Eleanore, C.S.C.? It is very good.
I'm going to try to attempt a more traditional Lent with food. Fast Monday through Saturday (2 small meals + full meal variety), only one meat meal on Monday through Thursday, no meat Friday & Saturday.

Also return to daily Rosary and to whatever extent I can the Office.

No computer after 8pm. Something that will be quite difficult for me  LOL.

I'll also try to also give up the snooze button  Shocked.
(02-03-2016, 04:32 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to try to attempt a more traditional Lent with food. Fast Monday through Saturday (2 small meals + full meal variety), only one meat meal on Monday through Thursday, no meat Friday & Saturday.

I tried that last year, but making separate dinners wasn't a hit with Mrs Maccabees.  She does the no chocolate thing every year and no amount of whining/appealing was going to win her over.

This year I'm going to add Matins to my abbreviated praying of the Office.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5