FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Chicago Archdiocese: Shortage of Priests, Future Closing Churches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/mas...rchdiocese

Quote:Chicago Archbishop Blase Cupich told priests and advisers in meetings in recent weeks that the shortage -- an estimated 240 priests available in 2030 for Chicago's 351 parishes -- could necessitate closings and consolidations, according to the sources.

Based primarily on those projections and on future capital needs, the priests who attended the meetings say a large number of churches could close over the next 14 years. Several of those priests who attended the sessions with the archbishop shared details about the reorganization process with the Tribune, some requesting anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the discussion and because they didn't have permission to speak on behalf of the archdiocese.

Officials at the archdiocese, contacted Thursday, said they could not answer any of the Tribune's questions.

I get the Tribune and this was front page news alongside other things, of course I found this out after mass today. The irony.

And venture into the comment section at your own risk. It's the NCR, so the environment is par for the course. All the bitter Catholics and anti-Catholics have smelled the blood and come a knockin'. (Apparently since woman can't be clergy they're being "pushed out" of the Church and celibacy for priests should be lifted.)
(02-07-2016, 12:47 PM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ]All the bitter Catholics and anti-Catholics have smelled the blood and come a knockin'. (Apparently since woman can't be clergy they're being "pushed out" of the Church and celibacy for priests should be lifted.)

LOL Maybe they should try going to Mass more, and they'll see it isn't the women that have been pushed out.
(02-07-2016, 12:47 PM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ](Apparently since woman can't be clergy they're being "pushed out" of the Church and celibacy for priests should be lifted.)

I thought it was supposed to be spelled "womyn."  LOL

(02-07-2016, 12:47 PM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ]And venture into the comment section at your own risk. It's the NCR, so the environment is par for the course. All the bitter Catholics and anti-Catholics have smelled the blood and come a knockin'

You weren't joking. Wow. Those comments made my colon cringe. I can honestly say I wish I hadn't seen the comments.

(02-07-2016, 03:16 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]LOL Maybe they should try going to Mass more, and they'll see it isn't the women that have been pushed out.

Yup. Preach the righteous, sister. Sadly, you're right.
This is one reason why I think the ICRSS should consider taking a church from the Archdiocese rather than building anew.  (Assuming the current Shrine ends up demolished, that is.)  They could save one of these certainly-beautiful churches from its own destruction, and save millions of dollars to use for better projects.
The Fruits of the New Spring. How much longer will they keep up the charade?  Huh?
(02-08-2016, 03:08 AM)knish Wrote: [ -> ]The Fruits of the New Spring. How much longer will they keep up the charade?  Huh?

The leadership of the Archdiocese of Chicago is rather lazy. It's like a fat guy sitting on the couch who says, "Eating healthy is important as well as exercise!" He's right, but you can't really dismiss him because he's the manager of the local gym you go to, and that gym has a leaky roof near the entrance. Ain't gonna be fixed anytime soon. Most of the positive activity have been done by individual priests and nuns; the the leadership in the Archdiocese of Chicago sorta mirrors the city's political leaders as well - a lot of talk.

Here's one of the magnificent churches slated for closing http://www.preservationchicago.org/Chica...albert.pdf i visit this church every Good Friday, and the thought of closing a masterpiece like this is beyond my comprehension.
That's beautiful. That kind of art and architecture just sets the ambience for prayer. I can't believe they'd close that before one of the NO commie architecture inspired monstrosities.
(02-21-2016, 08:02 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: [ -> ]That's beautiful. That kind of art and architecture just sets the ambience for prayer. I can't believe they'd close that before one of the NO commie architecture inspired monstrosities.

From my understanding closure is mostly due to poor numbers of members and since each parish depends on member donations it's often correlated of a closure is due to low numbers, amongst other reasons. St. John Cantius Church was near closure but members of the parish and the parish priest helped restore it and revitalize its identity.
(02-21-2016, 06:34 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]                                                                                              Here's one of the magnificent churches slated for closing http://www.preservationchicago.org/Chica...albert.pdf i visit this church every Good Friday, and the thought of closing a masterpiece like this is beyond my comprehension.

My mom works at nearby UIC hospital and every time I head north on Damen Ave. towards her workplace I can always see the church's steeples. I believe there's a Ukrainian Catholic church also nearby.
Pages: 1 2 3