FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The “New” Rosary: It’s Time to Say Goodbye
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(02-11-2016, 07:42 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]My NO church has Rosaries before Mass, at least on Sundays. I've never seen anybody rolling around on the floor screeching and foaming at the mouth like a lot of charismatic Protestants I've seen so I think my church is mostly safe from that particular plague.

As for the Divine Mercy, I think its a nice simple devotion. Its not my favorite but I don't see anything wrong with it and its kind of charming in its simplicity.

Well, charismatic « catholics » are a real thing, and I'm not name calling. They refer to themselves as charismatics, and they know full well their practices are of a Pentecostal-Protestant origin.
To be fair to them, most charismatics I talk to insist that they don't want to mess with the Liturgy (I don't know if this is some sort of idle excuse after they learn I'm a TLM guy). They do look otherwise faithful and are incorporating traditional practices like veiling, skirts, Rosary, etc., which I believe is a fruit of the popularity Montfort and Marian devotions has among the Latin folk (European and American). At the end of the day I do hope they grow out of it and become good trads.

Now, of course this is simply anecdotal (as was my initial observation), but is the Rosary recitation well attended ?
At every NO Church I ever went people are chatting before Mass. At the SSPX there's Rosary recitation and confession. At another chapel served by an ecclesia dei priest there's confession and people are praying the Rosary in silence (absolutely no chat inside). At others TLMs the same thing : people praying the Rosary.
Of course, this is not a rule in either case. Some people before the TLM are just sitting there. Some people before the NO at the most reverent NOMs in town are praying, but frankly, most are just sitting there too.
At the end of the day I simply don't see the Rosary as much (or, in some churches, at all) in the NO churches. I might be wrong that the Rosary will die among NOers. For all I know every NOer could simply, instead of having a television set on their living rooms they might have a house altar and pray the full Rosary every day on their knees as a family. Who knows !

As for the Divine Mercy : I doubt it was some clever marketing campaign. Its just a devotion that took on. I never prayed the Divine Mercy, though, even though its comforting for a scrupulous person like myself. On the other hand I'm big on the Sacred Heart and the whole miraculous medal thing.
I bet there are a lot of beautiful and fruitful medieval devotions that lasted only a couple of generations too. The Rosary has all that promises and major appearances attached to it, so there's that force behind it too.
I suppose popular piety (or private devotions) has the advantage (or rather the particularity) of being directed to a certain time and circumstance, for instance the invocation on the miraculous medal is supposedly to be a protection against the evil times that were to quickly follow that private revelation, viz., the French Revolution.

Anyway, sorry for long, out-of-context post. I'm just rambling to my Lenten self here.
Pentecostals always scared me, I imagine that charismatic Catholics are much the same. I've only ever been to the Rosary at church a couple of times so I can't say much about it but people seem pretty reverent. They have one before the Spanish mass on Sundays and probably before one of the English masses. I don't get there early enough for the English Rosary and I can't stand the sound of them practicing their music for the Spanish Mass, as if the English NO wasn't bad enough, so I don't stay for the Spanish. Seriously people, why can't we just have Latin? It would solve so many problems.

Its the people that spend the next half hour after mass chatting their heads off that I can't stand, at least most of them filter into the other parts of the church rather than staying in the sanctuary.

So other than the after mass chatters, the annoyingly loud and inappropriately placed Hispanic music, the pervasive air of Neo-Catholitis, and just about everything involving communion its not so bad. After typing all of this, I'm not sure how I've managed at the NO without losing my faith entirely but it must certainly be a miracle.  LOL

The people are just sadly ignorant and too entranced by the shiny plastic faith of V2, they are fairly reverent considering.

Anyway, now I've had my Lenty rant, who's next?
Charismatic isn't my thing but to be fair it seems straight out of St. Paul. The sort of style they have seems closely linked to the early church,at least in part. In all fairness I'll say that there are many different ways of being Catholic. As long as you hold the essentials you can pray however you like.

Of course the question of how you prayer determines how you believe does come up again though. Must we all pray in the same way? It's really complex, and not easy to answer.

Charismatic is phony, phony, phony phony!

The last thing I want to see while trying to silently ponder on the sacrifice of Christ during the Mass, is watching some jackass jump up and down and rolling about the isles.
(02-13-2016, 11:13 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Charismatic is phony, phony, phony phony!

The last thing I want to see while trying to silently ponder on the sacrifice of Christ during the Mass, is watching some jackass jump up and down and rolling about the isles.

Tee hee hee... awesome! Where exactly do you go to Mass and is beachwear allowedHuh?

I'm sure you meant aisles, but image of donkeys hopping around on the beach brought me a smile.  Grin
I have nothing against the luminous mysteries, as there's been a long historical development of the rosary. About the only thing I could say is that there is some breaking with the 150 psalms, but this might be lost on some. I simple prefer praying the three mysteries, its a simpler rythm, but I don't make a fuss about it.

I have experience with a local group of Charismatic Catholics. They're nothing like Charismatic Christians. Usually they'll have an ordinary mass and then they'll proceed to have charismatic prayer, but none of them speak in tongues. They sing Taizé songs, engage in ejaculatory prayer which is repeated among them, they spend time in prayer groups focusing on a Biblical verse... all very good. Its lead by a humble, good jesuit priest (one of the good ones), who is one of the best confessors I've been to outside of traditionalist circles. And bar none the best spiritual director (he foresaw a lot of problems I'd have and gently suggested some ways of dealing with it I wish I had implemented sooner).

Charismatic Catholics can turn weird, heterdox and eccentric but then again Traditionalist Catholics can turn bitter and paranoid. I haven't met a spiritual movement within the Church where the devil isn't busy souring things.

On essentials unity, on the rest freedom.
(02-14-2016, 05:02 PM)Leonhard Wrote: [ -> ]I have experience with a local group of Charismatic Catholics. They're nothing like Charismatic Christians.

I only point this out for non-Catholics who might be lurking, but it is misleading to make a dichotomy between Catholics and Christians, as of course we know they are one
and the same thing.  Christians belong to the Catholic Church.

It is more accurate when differentiating to label them Protestants, rather than cede the title of Christian to them, and infer that we Catholics are something distinct from "Christians."

I know you did not probably mean to make such an inference, but this issue is something I am attuned to, being surrounded by Protestants who dont think Catholics are Christians, and even ignorant Catholics who have been brainwashed by Prots that they themselves arent Christians, and so hand over the name of Christian to Protestants- who were to the ones to break off from Christ's Church.

Ah yes, nicely spotted BC, I should have used the word "protestants" instead. I'll be more mindful of that in the future.
Pages: 1 2 3