FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: It's so hard to find a spiritual director
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my yearning to be more holy, I wanted a spiritual director, and asked around, made a call, etc., but nothing has come of it yet and it seems people are nervous about the idea. The church I go to at present has a bunch of religious attached to it but the pastor said that so many people come to them for this that they generally just don't do that. All I would like myself is accountability in prayer and some confession. That can take like ten minutes to talk about. I'm not mad, just disappointed.
It has always been hard to get a good spiritual director. St Faustina prayed for one and she had to go to another country to find him. St Teresa of Avila wrote that there were confessors who told her that things were not sinful when in fact they were and other things were venial sins which in fact were mortal sins (sound familiar?) We just have to pray and trust in the providence of God.
I am blessed to have a very good one, and he is one of the best traditional priests in the city.  LOL
Call your diocese/archdiocese office. The archdioces of Boston has spiritual directors at its offices. Perhaps yours is the same. I couldn't find a trad spiritual director but that doesn't mean you won't be able to if similar are offered where you live.
(02-12-2016, 12:35 AM)randomtradguy Wrote: [ -> ]In my yearning to be more holy, I wanted a spiritual director, and asked around, made a call, etc., but nothing has come of it yet and it seems people are nervous about the idea. The church I go to at present has a bunch of religious attached to it but the pastor said that so many people come to them for this that they generally just don't do that. All I would like myself is accountability in prayer and some confession. That can take like ten minutes to talk about. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

Find a regular confessor.  They will be able to provide some spiritual direction within the context of confession.  Beyond that, if you know any wise, holy, lay people or religious who could offer some help, you might consider that an option.