FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Way More Churches Should be Built....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This Russian church is absolutely gorgeous. Just wait til you see the pictures!

Quote:The true miracle of the Yasenevo church, though, lies not in its richness, but its poverty. Astonishingly, this church, constructed in just seven years, had no major individual donors. There was no great oligarch or wealthy institution footing the bill. Rather, the money came in small donations from ordinary people and pious organizations – 80,000 donors in total.

Likewise, the astonishing mosaic work was not the work of a professional studio, but of students and amateurs, all volunteers. There was one professional iconographer hired to draw the great Pantocrator, but beyond that, the work was planned by highly-capable art students. They could not afford to buy Italian tesserae for the vast areas of gold, so they asked for donations of gold jewelry from across Russia, and developed their own technique for depositing the gold onto ceramic tile fragments. The mosaic workshop was run by a retired master who taught anyone who showed up. On the day I visited, she introduced me to her crew for the day – a hairdresser, an economics student, an architect, all there on their day off from work to come lay tesserae, and doing work like skilled masters. In total there were at least 225 of these volunteer mosaicists, some of whom arrived with no skills, but only a life-long dream of making an icon, and ended up creating works of incredible beauty.

Here is the link:

http://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/a-mir...-yasenevo/
Very beautiful! I wish more churches were still built like that.

I get the impression there won't be any liturgical dance there anytime soon. LOL
(02-13-2016, 06:42 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: [ -> ]Very beautiful! I wish more churches were still built like that.

That's the thing ~it was built recently!

Quote: I saw a group of mostly volunteers and amateurs, working with small donations, building a church to rival any monument in the history of Christendom. The project was recently completed, consecrated by His Holiness, Patriarch Kirill, on December 27th, 2015.
That is amazing. Quite simply stunning!

What a far, far cry from the most recent church built in our diocese...
Words cant describe the beauty of that church, but maybe music can bring the experience a little closer,  Imagine you are there worshiping  God, and this is the music that you hear...

Very beautiful!!!!

One church I attend frequently looks just like this. Is Byzantium revivalism and is a huge mosaic inside

[Image: 7bb1cf30904fe1b4593d97300f775033.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just wish it were Catholic.
(02-14-2016, 01:59 AM)Qoheleth Wrote: [ -> ]Words cant describe the beauty of that church, but maybe music can bring the experience a little closer,  Imagine you are there worshiping  God, and this is the music that you hear...

There is something so incredibly powerful about male voices like that, with the rich textual harmonies.

This is more my style of Russian Chant. Znammeny chant was the way the Russians chanted before the polyphonic operatic style came in vogue. I admit I can't stand modern Russian Orthodox liturgical music,but prefer something like this....I love that place Valaam, on the shores of Lake Ladoga. I suppose before I die I'd love to visit that place.
(02-14-2016, 08:03 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I just wish it were Catholic.

Yes! I am sorry if posting it here caused anyone confusion. It didn't seem to fit in with "Secular News" though. I suppose I could have put it under "Art", but yet building beautiful churches is such a part of our "Catholic History and Culture", that I thought it fit here best.

I wonder why it is that now, with all of the advanced technology and tools where we could be turning out absolutely gorgeous edifices in which to worship God, we instead spend millions on ugly monstrosities? I have heard the argument that it would just be too expensive, but I think these Orthodox folks proved that it isn't! We have so many talented Catholic people here in the States! We seriously need to start putting them and their talents to good use! Really, wouldn't it be any Catholic artist's dream job? Getting to take part in crafting something like this? And unlike in the middle ages, where you would be lucky to see the thing through to it's completion, you could spend years worshiping God in a church you had taken a part in building! I am still reeling at the fact that it took them only seven years!
Pages: 1 2