FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Scalia's Requiem Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

It was N.O., sadly, but as good as the N.O. gets. There was no eulogy, and what his son, the priest who officiated, sad was absolutely perfect. I'm looking for a transcript, but can only find this so far, from ABC:

Quote: Scalia’s son spoke about his father’s deep but imperfect Catholic faith, calling him “a practicing Catholic … in the sense that he had not perfected it yet.”

“Christ was not yet perfected in him,” Rev. Scalia said, and instructed those present that “we are here then to lend our prayers to that perfecting … in freeing dad from every encumbrance of sin.”

Explaining why the Mass did not include a eulogy, the reverend said his father did not like them, feeling like they led to an overemphasis on the virtues of the deceased and a forgetfulness of the prayers the deceased still needed.

“He would not have exempted himself from that,” Rev. Scalia said. “We are here to pray for God’s inexplicable mercy for a sinner, to this sinner, Antonin Scalia. Let us not show him a false love and allow our admiration to deprive him of our prayers.”

In a moment of levity, Rev. Scalia evoked laughter during his homily while remembering a time when his father came to confession to find his son was the one offering them.

“He had found himself in my confessional line and he quickly departed it,” the reverend said. “As he put it later, ‘Like heck if I’m confessing to you.’ The feeling was mutual.”
Thank you for the article. It was touching.

Was the funeral taped?

Here it is, GRA. Fr. Scalia's words start at the 1:32:31 mark:

May Antonin Scalia rest in peace...
Thank you, Vox.
I have a question about the "act of reverence" shown during communion in the video. Is it mandatory to bow before receiving the host? From my own readings this is relatively new, implemented in 2004. Can anyone expand on this? I make the sign of the cross afterwards and some in my parish bow, but not enough that I notice as a custom.
(02-22-2016, 01:20 PM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question about the "act of reverence" shown during communion in the video. Is it mandatory to bow before receiving the host? From my own readings this is relatively new, implemented in 2004. Can anyone expand on this? I make the sign of the cross afterwards and some in my parish bow, but not enough that I notice as a custom.

i always thought it was supposed to be a profound bow, like how celebrants and servers do during mass. guess i read wrong.

When receiving Holy Communion, the communicant bows his head before the sacrament as a gesture of reverence and receives the body of the Lord from the minister. The consecrated host may be received either on the tongue or in the hand, at the discretion of each communicant. When Holy Communion is received under both kinds, the sign of reverence is also made before receiving the precious blood. (GIRM 160)