FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Suppression of Saints' feast days?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm finishing up reading a book about late medieval Germany and in some of its background, the author writes about the feast days that were being celebrated in the late 15th century.

My question has to do with the fact that the author states that the feast day of St. Margaret was suppressed in 1969, and another Saint's feast day (whom I can't remember the name of) was also suppressed in the early 1960's. I am not sure how much truth there is to this, or if it has to do with Vatican II or not? Or if the author used improper wording?

I admit I do not know much about "suppression of feast days" of certain Saints in the 1960's. Information please?
Are you thinking of St Philomena?

There was a lot of change to the calendar along with the new Missal. Some of the saints that were believed to be mostly legendary, or that we know hardly anything about were removed, as were many of the Roman martyrs that weren't among the more important ones like St Lawrence, St Agnes, St Agatha, etc. That freed up a lot of days on the calendar, so other saints were then moved to their actual date of death, when they had to be placed on another day previously.

While it didn't occur until after Vatican II, the revision of the calendar isn't something that started there. The problem of "too many saints" (if it is one) was the reason for the 1911 reform of the Breviary - and the calendar after the Council of Trent had even fewer Saints on it than the 1969 calendar did.
Gotta have room in the calendar for all the pope-saints . . . .
(02-21-2016, 08:58 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Are you thinking of St Philomena?

There was a lot of change to the calendar along with the new Missal. Some of the saints that were believed to be mostly legendary, or that we know hardly anything about were removed, as were many of the Roman martyrs that weren't among the more important ones like St Lawrence, St Agnes, St Agatha, etc. That freed up a lot of days on the calendar, so other saints were then moved to their actual date of death, when they had to be placed on another day previously.

While it didn't occur until after Vatican II, the revision of the calendar isn't something that started there. The problem of "too many saints" (if it is one) was the reason for the 1911 reform of the Breviary - and the calendar after the Council of Trent had even fewer Saints on it than the 1969 calendar did.

The author was specifically talking about the case of the feast day of Saint Margaret. I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but he was describing all the different "Saint Margarets" whose existence or identities can't be verified(?). The remark about the suppression of St. Margaret's feast day in 1969 was brought up in only half a sentence, with no explanation drawn out. It was mentioned almost as if a passing remark and as something minor.

There was another Saint the author mentioned earlier in the book but I can't remember who it was. He mentioned the suppression of the Saint's feast day as well in the early 1960's.

I know he used the word "suppression" in both cases. Hence, why I'm wondering. I already know the case about St. Philomena, that is not the Saint he was referring to; since this is a book about a heretical incident that occurred in 15th century Germany.
It is likely St. Margaret of Antioch, one of the 14 Holy Helpers, that was being referenced. 

Paul gave the background above--some Saints had their feast days suppressed in the universal Latin calendar, some were moved to different dates, and some were added.  Some that were suppressed, were later re-inserted, like that of another Holy Helper, St. Catherine of Alexandria.  A large suppression of feast days also happened under St. Pius V after the Council  of Trent when the calendar was cleaned up then.