FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: marriage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everyone would love to have a happy marriage. Unfortunately human nature doesn't always work that way. what recourse does a wife have if unfortunately her husband starts becoming abusive both physically and mentally towards her? I find it cruel if she is forced to separate without remarriage. What if after serious reflection she realizes that her former boyfriend has pity for her and the woman wants to marry him instead.

This is a question of apologetics
What recourse does she have? She can leave her abusive husband.

She cannot attempt a second marriage because Christ told us that "what God has joined, no man may put asunder." 

While you might find it cruel that she not able to be remarried, your thoughts are not God's thoughts.  Everyone has a cross to bear in this life.  The fact of having an abusive husband does not provide her license to engage in adultery.
She can leave her husband if he's abusive.  Without trying to sound flippant or callous, I'd advise this woman to seek the advice of her pastor first and foremost.  I'd also advise against rushing into a relationship with a former flame, to avoid adultery.

I'll pray a decade for this person.
Why is forcing her to separate without remarriage cruel?  ???

She can separate or divorce him, but that doesn't mean they are no longer married. Marriage is a sacred bond between two souls only separable by death. Its not always pleasant but its the way marriage works. I don't mean to sound uncaring but to attempt remarriage to another man is like attempting to fly, it just won't work. It would be a grievous sin against the sixth commandment as well as, in my opinion, a form of sacrilege akin to "rebaptizing" a person or attempting to ordain a woman.

Just because she can't remarry doesn't mean her life is over, she would just have to learn to work around it. There is much more to life than romantic relationships, many many great saints were in similar situations and although they must have struggled through it, their struggling earned them a far greater happiness than what "remarriage" can offer.
(02-22-2016, 11:15 AM)a83192 Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone would love to have a happy marriage. Unfortunately human nature doesn't always work that way. what recourse does a wife have if unfortunately her husband starts becoming abusive both physically and mentally towards her? I find it cruel if she is forced to separate without remarriage. What if after serious reflection she realizes that her former boyfriend has pity for her and the woman wants to marry him instead.

This is a question of apologetics

The Church would allow her to separate from her husband for a serious reason. However she is not free to remarry without having received a canonical annulment from her first marriage.