FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "I’m a Muslim But Here’s Why I Admire the Catholic Church"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.strangenotions.com/im-a-musli...ic-church/

Strange Notions is a site where non-believers and believers can come together in an attempt to carry out respectful dialogue.

Just a taste of what was written -
Quote:First, allow me to start this short article with what might be deemed a startling confession: I am not a Catholic, nor am I even a Christian. In fact, I am a secular Muslim and an avid reader of philosophy and history with an unswerving commitment to the unmitigated truth no matter where it is even, nay especially, if it runs counter to commonly held beliefs.

I have spent the last few years researching the history of Christianity, especially the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages, and was shocked to discover that almost everything we had been taught about Catholicism was erroneous and apparently affected by anti-Catholic bias. In contradistinction to what most people both in the West and Middle East think, the Catholic Church and Church Fathers did not suppress science, reason, and knowledge. Quite the opposite, in many cases they even encouraged the acquisition of secular learning and the pursuit of science, and placed a high premium on man’s rational faculties. I was also astonished to discover that the “dark" Middle Ages were not intellectually barren after all. This period was not one of utter stagnation, superstition, or the persistent persecution of natural philosophers. In fact, the universities—where unhindered scholarly and intellectual debates were held—were founded in Europe during the High Middle Ages. In addition, 12th- and 13th-century Catholic scientists, who were committed both to their Christian faith and the scientific method, laid the groundwork for the Scientific Revolution. It is becoming more and more evident that this revolution, which began with the publication of Nicholas Copernicus' On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres and Andreas Vesalius' On the Fabric of the Human Body, was not an abrupt outburst of creativity but a continuation of intellectual headway reached in previous centuries, namely the High Middle Ages. What is equally stunning is the importance medieval Catholic theologians and philosophers attached to human intellectual capacities, and their relentless pursuit to create a synthesis of reason and faith. In a nutshell, years of intensive research have made me respect and even admire the Catholic Church even though, as I have said earlier, I hail from a secular Arab family that has taught to investigate all issues without any pre-conceived dogma and to accept the truth even if it turns out to be incongruent with generally accepted views.

I suggest to read the entire article.

Bless this man. I soooo pray that the Holy Ghost gets to him, if you know what I mean (rather, that he allows the Holy Ghost to get to him!). It's rare to see anyone defend the Church, and here's this guy, a "secular Muslim" (whatever that means  ??? ) defending the Church while self-professed Catholics do nothing.
(02-23-2016, 03:51 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Bless this man. I soooo pray that the Holy Ghost gets to him, if you know what I mean (rather, that he allows the Holy Ghost to get to him!). It's rare to see anyone defend the Church, and here's this guy, a "secular Muslim" (whatever that means  ??? ) defending the Church while self-professed Catholics do nothing.

I agree, good for him. He had the patience and the restraint to learn for himself and it paid off.

bold: Haha! I was confused as well. Maybe it's akin to secular Jew? Maybe the use of the word Muslim also means ethnicity besides the followers of Islam. I don't know. Any Muslims on FE or anyone who has accurate knowledge about this?
(02-23-2016, 04:59 PM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-23-2016, 03:51 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Bless this man. I soooo pray that the Holy Ghost gets to him, if you know what I mean (rather, that he allows the Holy Ghost to get to him!). It's rare to see anyone defend the Church, and here's this guy, a "secular Muslim" (whatever that means  ??? ) defending the Church while self-professed Catholics do nothing.

I agree, good for him. He had the patience and the restraint to learn for himself and it paid off.

bold: Haha! I was confused as well. Maybe it's akin to secular Jew? Maybe the use of the word Muslim also means ethnicity besides the followers of Islam. I don't know. Any Muslims on FE or anyone who has accurate knowledge about this?

I think it would be something akin to secular Jew. Also, I think in Muslim-dominant countries one goes through the externals without belief to avoid persecution.

But "secular Jew" makes sense in that one's Jewishness depends on one's mother's ethnicity. IOW, being Jewish is a religious thing and/or an ethnic thing. Most Muslims who don't practice their religion would be Arab or African, etc.