FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: halal food?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My mom bought me 'halal' yogurt probably because it has less additives and my family tries to eat healthy. I am wondering is 'halal' ok for us to eat?? I read a bit about it and how it doesn't have certain things that Muslims are against. But were any prayers said over it? How would that affect things? I know there's that whole debate about Muslims and if they worship the same God, - i'd rather not go into it now, - we can all agree that certain views they have of God are incorrect (Like how they deny the Holy Trinity as one example) though of course they intend to worship one God not many gods/goddesses. So... Can we just bless it with the sign of the Cross and eat it? Also I moved the yogurt to new containers as there was a huge Islamic symbol on the packaging...
St. Paul says

Quote:But as for the meats that are sacrificed to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no God but one. For although there be that are called gods, either in heaven or on earth (for there be gods many, and lords many); Yet to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Just make the sign of the cross over it. I'd be more worried about financing a islamic company.

I'd go with what Renatus Frater said. 

Halal means "allowed."  With non-meat foods, such as the yogurt you mentioned, as well as things like cosmetics, it means that it was prepared without the use of forbidden (haram) things; namely alcohol and pork products.  So I don't think there's any danger in eating yogurt.  For many non-muslim companies, halal is a marketing gimmick; it doesn't cost anything extra (for non-meat products) and it now can be marketed to another segment of the population.

Meat is a bit different.  The animal has to be slaughtered in a way similar to kosher procedures.  The throat slit, then the blood is allowed to drain from the body.  As the throat is cut, the person is supposed to say "bismillah" which means "in the name of God."  So I guess this could be considered an Islamic prayer.  That being said, it's never stopped me from eating it, both during deployment, and because, honestly, middle eastern food is darn tasty! Grin  Say grace, and make the sign of the cross over it, and enjoy.
I eat halal gyros all the time from the carts around NYC, it seems to be a nonconern.
(02-24-2016, 07:12 AM)little_flower10 Wrote: [ -> ]My mom bought me 'halal' yogurt probably because it has less additives and my family tries to eat healthy. I am wondering is 'halal' ok for us to eat?? I read a bit about it and how it doesn't have certain things that Muslims are against. But were any prayers said over it? How would that affect things? I know there's that whole debate about Muslims and if they worship the same God, - i'd rather not go into it now, - we can all agree that certain views they have of God are incorrect (Like how they deny the Holy Trinity as one example) though of course they intend to worship one God not many gods/goddesses. So... Can we just bless it with the sign of the Cross and eat it? Also I moved the yogurt to new containers as there was a huge Islamic symbol on the packaging...

St Teresa of Avila said "If it tastes good, eat it."