FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Christus Victor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is the Christus Victor view accepted by Catholics? From my understanding it was held more widely by the Church fathers and appears to be a more ancient view. It also seems to be more widely accepted by the Orthodox Church, hence my question.
No theologian, but I'm really into soteriology and studied it for a while. I'll add what I know.
It was accepted by the fathers definitely. Later Anselm of Centerbury in a work called 'Cur Deus Homo' or why God became man set forth a view used by most Catholics today, probably because scholastically, it was logical, whereas I've never heard the victor view actually explained well.  The orthodox / byzantine catholic view today has a name but I forget.

Is the victor theory allowed? It's not not allowed, I think, anyway.
Both of them make sense.  By dying, Christ conquered death and sin. He also satisfied Divine Justice, which required death due to sin. I don't see how these theories must necessarily be in competition with each other.