FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Holy Week in Spain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Wouldnt it have been wonderful to have been there? Smile

**Edited by San Giuse.  Two things: First, please start posting either the article or (at an absolute minimum) a summary.  Second, since only the video really has anything to do with Holy Week in Spain, I've replaced the article link with the video.**

I'd love to be there. One day hopefully.

This from the article cracked me up:
Quote: NOTE ON THE WHITE HOODS: No, my neo-Catholic friends, it's not the KKK. We're not in America anymore, Toto.  The ancient nazareno or penitential robe for some of the participants in the processions consists in a tunic, a hood with conical tip (capirote) used to conceal the face of the wearer. They were widely used in the medieval period for penitents, who could demonstrate their penance while still masking their identity.

I actually had someone at work ask me why Catholics allowed the KkK to march in parades. It took a bit to convine him that the penitents had been doing this for400-500 years before the Klan came into existence, and that the klan hates Catholics. Some people...
Well, the Semana Santa in Spain influenced our own celebrations of the Holy Week, but we did not inherit the one that you saw in the video at the Remnant Website, but the more sober and "solemn" ones commonly practiced in the Castile region of Spain.

It's really a sad state of affairs. While Europe has been secularized, Mediterranean Europe has still kept at least part of the Catholic traditions in place.  Many towns and cities still celebrate the major feasts with town-wide celebrations and processions. The feast of the town's patron saint is especially a big deal. However, I far that many of these traditions are celebrated with some people who take it reverently and others as an excuse for a party. Meanwhile, we see what Europe is today and is becoming. A secularized society devoid of any belief in the religion which built it and the invasion of Muslim forces that will destroy it all. There's this part of me which desires to live in these parts of Europe and live in such a way that the Church is a regular part of my life and then another part which does not desire to see it all when it falls apart.