FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Evidence for SSPX jurisdiction during year of mercy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What is the evidence for the SSPX having jurisdiction during the year of mercy?  Who says?
Thank you.
That an infallible proclamation?
Does it meet the requirements for infallibility?
Once the year of mercy runs out, the SSPX's faculties run out as well?
How does that work?
(04-02-2016, 12:51 PM)Truecharity Wrote: [ -> ]That an infallible proclamation?
Does it meet the requirements for infallibility?

No. It's disciplinary, like the vast majority of everything that the Pope says, it's not infallible, but there's no need for it to be. It's the Pope, expressing his wishes for how the Church is run.

Being the Pope, so long as it's not against Faith or Morals, he kinda gets to do that.

People often seem to forget that the Pope is not only just some dispenser of infallibility, he is also the highest earthly authority and what he says goes. He determines how the entirety of the church is run and that means he also determines what sacraments are licit in what circumstances.
Very interesting. Soo, the SSPX's faculties magically disappear on Nov. 20, 2016.
On November 21st, they are no longer licit. They return to their "schismatic" status on the 20th.

This contradicts what has been happening since the 70's.
http://sspx.org/en/what-canonical-status-sspx

(BTW, I don't attend the SSPX)

(04-02-2016, 02:38 PM)Truecharity Wrote: [ -> ]Very interesting. Soo, the SSPX's faculties magically disappear on Nov. 20, 2016.
On November 21st, they are no longer licit. They return to their "schismatic" status on the 20th.

No, they return to their status of not having jurisdiction, which isn't the same thing as schismatic.
(04-02-2016, 02:47 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2016, 02:38 PM)Truecharity Wrote: [ -> ]Very interesting. Soo, the SSPX's faculties magically disappear on Nov. 20, 2016.

No, they return to their status of not having jurisdiction, which isn't the same thing as schismatic.

I'm not an SSPX supporter but I agree, not having jurisdiction and being schismatic are two different things.

One thing I am curious about watching is just how things play out after Nov 20th this year. I'm sure this whole issue will be blowing up the Catholic media outlets around that time.

My take is that Francis will quietly say nothing about it, leaving individual Catholics to make up their minds. I highly doubt he will say anything about how after sunset in Rome on November 20th SSPX priests can no longer absolve sins! The post conciliar style is one of being intentionally vague about things.

Time will tell, but I don't think the door of mercy will ever close on this issue, leaving Father Z, Mike Voris, and the rest of the Catholic talking heads all using whatever arguments they can to tenaciously fight for whatever positions they might hold on this business of the SSPX.

(04-02-2016, 12:20 PM)Jan313 Wrote: [ -> ]What is the evidence for the SSPX having jurisdiction during the year of mercy?  Who says?
Pope Francis, although I believe they have supplied Jurisdiction.
Pages: 1 2 3