FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I Have Designed An Abbey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
If some of you might've recalled, I have designed a Cathedral in the English Gothic Style using Trimble SketchUp, and even promised Vox that I would design an Italian Gothic Chapel along that cathedral.

Well, since my laptop got stolen, so do this fine building design (well, it is one of the finest things that I have designed, others are a mis-match of Neo-classical and Romanesque; Durtal of Hussyman's En Route would be furious) and it did sent me into a creative slouch. I became depressed even. Not until one day when I decided to further strengthen my desire to become a Benedictine monk and establish a monastery dedicated to the devotion of the Santo Niño Cautivo (The Captive Holy Child), an image of the Child Jesus holding chains and is a favorite of those people who wanted liberation from the chains of vice, alcohol, drugs and even actual abduction.

Pardon the pictures. They are of low quality and I intend of having good ones taken later.

[Image: 17a5bb11bbbf8434fd52445582d6ce0c.jpg]

That is the nave before completion. The entire monastery is inspired by Cistercian Gothic architecture and Italian Gothic churches, especially the Abbey of Chiaravalle della Colonna.  I somehow fulfilled my promise to Vox Smile

[Image: 380f97a381039516402e6e4a29ee8c18.jpg]

The entire complex when viewed from afar. It was not yet finished when I photographed it. The walls are not yet done at this point, and so does the parlor for receiving guests.

[Image: 0d54ba5d38939958de5dee08517f96a3.jpg]

The Southern Façade, with a large door for receiving future pilgrims. The Philippines is notorious for having a large crowd pushing through the doors after Sunday Mass, due to the relatively larger congregation and the smaller doors of many old churches.

[Image: 80ad70218556e6b80635a5dcc5d2c6db.jpg]

A view of the unfinished monastic complex.

[Image: 6462f6c1212125bfc8d28035a0de1f88.jpg]

A part of the cloister

[Image: 68d68056cea820bdf933d85a873c5bdf.jpg]

For scale comparison, here is a figure of a monk and the cloister window.

[Image: 465227e42889a7bc899c397fe5ddaaa5.jpg]

The corridors of the monastic cells.

[Image: 775c37ddfe2354b44441f1a7498a8cae.jpg]

The monastic library and scriptorium. I dream of a printing press.

[Image: 656d90f0ee3746e43629966feff6dd43.jpg]

The cloister. The large area of the cloister is a Spanish influence.

[Image: 2d05b81925ed2ad922d111d0e8e9e5f2.jpg]

The Western Façade of the Monastery church and the monastery itself. The English Perpendicular Gothic/Tudor Renaissance influence is felt at the entrance of the monastic enclosure itself.

[Image: d7e35ffab84f1804080fdfb98bfdc0af.jpg]

A close-up of the entrance. The shield above would display the coat-of-arms of the monastery, and I plan a good motto for it, as well as a notice to anyone entering the monastic enclosure.

[Image: 111b3413347c6dfc8e2aa143249f2d09.jpg]

At this point, I have finished the spires of the belltower. A German Romanesque/German Gothic influence. The façade is unabashedly French except the Rose Window, which is proudly Italian.

[Image: fd8155739b3f42baac30042a06b32260.jpg]

The spires.

[Image: 40fdcfbec223f8450d361c4980801930.jpg]

The High Altar features the image of the Infant Child, along with Saint Michael and the Benedictine Saints (from upper left to lower left and upper right to lower right): Saints Benedict, Gregory the Great, Scholastica, and Gertrude the Great.

There is also a Rood Screen, a wooden pulpit, and choir stalls present, which I have not as of yet have photographed. Perhaps later.

[Image: c59761700c0b9f18f2c74d7de79260a1.jpg]

The Lady Chapel and the extreme end of the church, at the back of the High Altar. The image would be sculpted out of wood and with the heads and hands out of ivory, and so it has been enthroned up above the altar, out of reach of thieves  and secured with a bulletproof glass case with metallic fencing (not shown in the picture). The image is to be dressed in fabric, and thus would have a mannequin body.

[Image: 00f3e553874baa4e79dfedad5b455abd.jpg]

I did not really follow the entire Cistercian spirit in this church, for I have filled the side aisles with side altars.

[Image: 9245376c8a3673a7d3d4094017276182.jpg]

The night stairs on the northern transept that leads to the dormitory of the monks. Convenient for use after Compline.

And for those who are curious on how the Santo Niño Cautivo looks like, here is a photo of the original image from Mexico:

[Image: 91ff4a9a4469670c5507b7a1b3a01ca8.jpg]

Sent from my MY31 using Tapatalk

LOVE it! Love it all! (because I assume that the ivory comes from ellyphants who died naturally, of course. Right?!) (I love me some elephants). Wow, just beautiful Smile

This must've been a TON of work! Do more! And don't forget:

* the beautifully appointed parish meeting hall (with a huge attached kitchen) for parties, feasts, wedding receptions, after-funeral meetings, making of food for people who are mourning, and such;

* a smaller room, also beautifully decorated, off the kitchen for more intimate gatherings;

* a daycare center/play room (with washing machines) so women can get together with other adults while their children play or get babysitting services while they go about needed business (and do laundry at the same time);

* a store room for things people can pool and share and donate so other families won't have to buy new (e.g., cribs, high chairs, playpens, kids' clothes, etc.); and

* an auditorium for speakers and Mystery Plays and the like!

Ooh!  And a parish pantry with extra food to help families in need!  How about a clothes closet as well? 
Stunning! I wish churches were still built that elaborately.
(05-01-2016, 04:35 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]LOVE it! Love it all! (because I assume that the ivory comes from ellyphants who died naturally, of course. Right?!) (I love me some elephants). Wow, just beautiful Smile

This must've been a TON of work! Do more! And don't forget:

* the beautifully appointed parish meeting hall (with a huge attached kitchen) for parties, feasts, wedding receptions, after-funeral meetings, making of food for people who are mourning, and such;

* a smaller room, also beautifully decorated, off the kitchen for more intimate gatherings;

* a daycare center/play room (with washing machines) so women can get together with other adults while their children play or get babysitting services while they go about needed business (and do laundry at the same time);

* a store room for things people can pool and share and donate so other families won't have to buy new (e.g., cribs, high chairs, playpens, kids' clothes, etc.); and

* an auditorium for speakers and Mystery Plays and the like!

I am actually considering dead mammoths as source of ivory. Or perhaps walrus tusk.

I am actually designing a second building after the monastic complex. It can house those washing machines and even more.

An auditorium would be lovely! The monastery should be the center of intellectual culture, after all.
(05-01-2016, 04:38 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]Ooh!  And a parish pantry with extra food to help families in need!  How about a clothes closet as well? 

The kitchen in the monastery has a room adjacent to it. It was intended as a refectory for lay brothers. That could also serve as a parish pantry.

The clothes closet could be located in a new building that I am making right now.

I am proud to say that it took me 30 days to make many different designs. This one is the third attempt in making the abbey.
Oooh this is beautiful. Here's to hoping one day it becomes a reality!  Pray
(05-01-2016, 07:42 PM)jbean Wrote: [ -> ]Oooh this is beautiful. Here's to hoping one day it becomes a reality!  Pray
You can pray for that, again and again! Pray

(I was supposed to say: "You can say that again.")

But where are the felt banners and chairs?  Grin
(05-01-2016, 07:49 PM)Share Love Wrote: [ -> ]But where are the felt banners and chairs?  Grin
Felt Banners are for whimpsThe chairs? Well, we do plan a bit of pews and then chairs with kneelers behind them.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5