FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A Snapshot of the State of Catechesis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

From a comment made at IMdb.com, the movie database:

[Image: idiocy.JPG]

When you get right down to it (and this is coming from someone who came to a solid faith through science and serious investigation and study), faith is very simple. I mean, when you study it, it's profound, but it is also simple. You take Jesus at His word or you do not. You believe Him when He says, "This is My body," or you do not. All the teachings of the Faith can be boiled down to this main point: will you believe Jesus and the Church He founded, or won't you? If you question a clearly defined teaching, the problem does not lie with the Church. Period.
See, if this is what you believe, don't start an analysis with "I'm Roman Catholic from birth." as if that gives your position more weight.  You can say, "I was Roman Catholic" or "I was raised Roman Catholic but.."  but don't state your belief in the present form.  If you don't believe in basic church teaching, don't use an affirmative statement of belief (I'm Roman Catholic from birth) to showcase your complete lack of comprehension.
(05-06-2016, 05:49 AM)Zubr Wrote: [ -> ]See, if this is what you believe, don't start an analysis with "I'm Roman Catholic from birth." as if that gives your position more weight.  You can say, "I was Roman Catholic" or "I was raised Roman Catholic but.."  but don't state your belief in the present form.  If you don't believe in basic church teaching, don't use an affirmative statement of belief (I'm Roman Catholic from birth) to showcase your complete lack of comprehension.

plus, no one is born catholic..

people who say they went to catholic school as some sort of "i know the faith trump card" are usually the most ignorant.
(05-06-2016, 05:32 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]From a comment made at IMdb.com, the movie database:

IMdb.  Consider the source.  Still, very sad when someone loses faith.  Although in this case, it doesn't sound like he lost it, just never bothered.

(05-06-2016, 06:18 AM)Zea mays Wrote: [ -> ]plus, no one is born catholic..

people who say they went to catholic school as some sort of "i know the faith trump card" are usually the most ignorant.

I've noticed that myself.  I'm dealing with it now with a co-worker who's borderline agnostic with a former Catholic wife.  Every now and then he'll start a discussion with, "My wife's Catholic and she said..." Then he looks shocked when he's (gently) corrected.  It'll drive me bat-poop crazy at times.  Still, I pray that they'll find their way to the Holy Church.
I'm Roman Catholic from conversion, and my faith- especially my conviction that the Eucharist truly is the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ- is the only reason I'm still alive.  (And, God willing, I get to receive Him in about two hours!  Yay!).
I think this is why we are given Eucharistic miracles.  People who should know better simply no longer believe.  It is like God needs to slap them upside the head with a little scientific proof. 

I remember my confirmation class and I'll admit that it was a total circus.  The basic threshold for receiving the sacrament was whether or not we knew basic prayers.  They never taught anything of substance.  My teacher was an alcoholic who used our class as a reason to stay sober the night before (she told us this in class one day) - and it didn't always work. 

My mother, who attended Catholic schools, is the most poorly catechized person I know.  She either doesn't understand about 90% of what the church teachers or chooses to ignore it.  She and my father fought about the faith on a weekly basis, so much so that my sister never did get confirmed.  I had zero resources at home to lean on.  It was so bad that for a long while my dad went to mass in secret during the week (while he was at work) because he couldn't go on Sunday without destroying his marriage.

It's not just CCD that's the problem: it's families that don't think they have to teach their children about the faith.  Aside from doing some charitable work, my mother holding a dodgy "agape meal" (whatever the hell that is), and occasionally not eating meat on Fridays, there was no Catholic culture in the home.  We said grace but that's about it.  From what I gather, that was a "Catholic home life" that was better than most. 
(05-06-2016, 05:40 AM)Share Love Wrote: [ -> ]When you get right down to it (and this is coming from someone who came to a solid faith through science and serious investigation and study), faith is very simple. I mean, when you study it, it's profound, but it is also simple. You take Jesus at His word or you do not. You believe Him when He says, "This is My body," or you do not. All the teachings of the Faith can be boiled down to this main point: will you believe Jesus and the Church He founded, or won't you? If you question a clearly defined teaching, the problem does not lie with the Church. Period.

I once said this to an older (mid-60s) friend of mine, ex-seminarian, thought I was over simplifying it, but I surely believe it. 

Just the other night I was speaking with a young man from Europe who felt that the Church HAD to change it's stance on things to be current. I had a tough time with him and truthfully what I wanted to say was "sir, you're a heretic". He felt that the Church had to at some point recognize birth control and gay marriage. By the way, his estimation of himself: faithful, lifelong, Catholic.
(05-06-2016, 06:18 AM)Zea mays Wrote: [ -> ]people who say they went to catholic school as some sort of "i know the faith trump card" are usually the most ignorant.

I taught RCIA for a couple years, and we had the Catholic "sponsors" sit at the tables with the candidates and catechumens during the lectures.  The sponsors were the worst about arguing with the doctrine that I was teaching.  I remember once I was teaching on merits -- one of the sponsors raised her hand and said, "I've been Catholic all my life, and I've never heard of this.  The Church doesn't teach this!"  That sort of thing happened all the time.
(05-06-2016, 10:51 AM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ].  I remember once I was teaching on merits -- one of the sponsors raised her hand and said, "I've been Catholic all my life, and I've never heard of this.  The Church doesn't teach this!" 

And of course, that's the problem--people are Catholic their whole lives and never hear all sorts of basic things.  There's a reason the only two times the Church has ever felt the need to publish a universal catechism are during the Reformation and now...
Pages: 1 2 3