FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What ever happened with Fr. Michael Rodriguez
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know how his situation turned out. The last I knew he was asked to go on sabbatical to access his priesthood. On top of that there were accusations by the diocese that He and his brother had mishandled church funds. I can't find any information so any help would be appreciated.
As of January 2016, Father Michael is still a priest in good standing with the diocese of El Paso, with no pastoral assignment.  The Catholic Family News had an interview with him this past Febrauary that louie posted on his blogsite.

https://akacatholic.com/exclusive-update...rodriguez/

He has been ordered by his bishop  to celebrate the mass in the vernacular and not Ad Orientem.  For having not fulfilled this order (to date), the good father will be found disobedient once the futility of his appeal to Rome has run its course.

I did not hear that he had been accused of mishandling funds.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see that as fitting with his character.  People who misappropriate funds generally don't disobey their bishops as an act of good conscience.
Typical of a Novus Ordo bishop. These men are wicked. There are 1,000s of stories like this over the last 50 years. I can't understand how anybody can buy into their pretence of being Catholic. It makes me angry.
He gave a talk on restoring tradition at the Catholic Identity Conference last year, the talk can be found here

http://remnantnewspaper.com/web/index.ph...-tradition
(05-15-2016, 01:34 AM)The Tax Collector Wrote: [ -> ]As of January 2016, Father Michael is still a priest in good standing with the diocese of El Paso, with no pastoral assignment.  The Catholic Family News had an interview with him this past Febrauary that louie posted on his blogsite.

https://akacatholic.com/exclusive-update...rodriguez/

He has been ordered by his bishop  to celebrate the mass in the vernacular and not Ad Orientem.  For having not fulfilled this order (to date), the good father will be found disobedient once the futility of his appeal to Rome has run its course.

But doesn't Summorum Pontificum or the Motu Proprio by Pope Benedict XVI say that priests do not need the permission of their bishop for the celebration of the Tridentine Mass?
The Motu Proprio allows any priest to say the TLM without the permission of his bishop.  It does not, however, allow any priest to stop saying the Novus Ordo in favor of exclusively saying the TLM without the permission of his bishop.
[span style=""]hi[/span]
(05-16-2016, 09:17 AM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]The Motu Proprio allows any priest to say the TLM without the permission of his bishop.  It does not, however, allow any priest to stop saying the Novus Ordo in favor of exclusively saying the TLM without the permission of his bishop.

That's interesting.  I wasn't aware of that part. At any rate it must be hard because as a priest in some ways you must be obedient to your bishop, end of story. If he tells you for pastoral reasons not to stop saying the Pauline Mass or to stop offering the 1962 Missal publicly I imagine you technically should obey him.

Also, there's such a radical difference between the new and older rites that having to offer both must make one feel schizophrenic and pulled in two opposite directions. 

One reason the reformers did away with the older Mass is because even if they can't articulate it they know intuitively that the older liturgy is part of a worldview and a style of Catholicism that was supposed to be buried after the Council. Inner and outer are related.  Lex Orandi,Lex Credendi is real

Men like Father Rodriguez will either come to realize modern Roman Catholicism in the official structures has no place for them or they will suffer the consequences.  Sad but true. In the corporate structure of the Church there's no room for non conformity.

I admire men who, despite seeing the wreckage in the Roman Church coming from the top down, insist on tilting at windmills and trying to change things. I've not got the heart for it, but I'll pray for Father.
(05-15-2016, 02:18 AM)charlesh Wrote: [ -> ]Typical of a Novus Ordo bishop. These men are wicked. There are 1,000s of stories like this over the last 50 years. I can't understand how anybody can buy into their pretence of being Catholic. It makes me angry.

Please refrain from calumniating holy men when you know nothing about them. Bishop Seitz, the ordinary of the Diocese of El Paso, is a good and holy Bishop, and one of the holiest priests I've ever met. He truly walks with Christ and lives the life of Jesus.

He served faithfully in the Diocese of Dallas where he was ordained as a priest and served until his appointment in El Paso. He was extremely active in the Pro-Life movement there. In his personal Coat of Arms, he has the "rose of Life" to symbolize his "commitment to the Gospel of Life, which is really an expression of [his] concern that the dignity of human life be respected at all of its stages from conception to natural death."

When he was a parish priest, he actually donated a kidney to a parishioner. He said of this charitable act, “We follow the model of one who literally gave his life for us. If he can lay down his life, I can give away a kidney."

As far as his actions towards Traditionalists, he has done his best to accommodate those with a devotion to the Latin Mass. In fact, his door was open from the first day of his episcopacy. The day that he landed in El Paso and was entering the chancery for the press conference to announce his appointment, there was a group of Latin Mass devotees who prayed a regular rosary at the chancery in petition for the availability of Latin Mass in the diocese. He invited them in and talked with them before he even had his press conference. He also prioritized the establishment of an FSSP parish in El Paso, which he did within the first year of his appointment.

While I have heard nothing but good things about the spirituality of Fr. Rodriguez, the fact of the matter is that there have been issues of public disobedience at the very least, and  money mismanagement at the worst.

While the number of OF priests that have transitioned to full-time EF priests is slim, it can be done and it is possible to do while staying in a state of obedience. His heart may have been in the right place, but the fact of the matter is that as a priest, obedience is a cardinal virtue, and he has fostered disobedience not only for himself but caused scandal for his parishioners and the diocese. This fact alone leaves him less than fully innocent.

None of us on this board can know all of the facts of both sides of the story. Sometimes it's best in these situations to remember that if a situation like this is happening, it is because God wills it, or at least permits it. I think it's best to pray for both men so that God's will shall prevail in both of their hearts.
Quote from  Bramlet
Quote: As far as his actions towards Traditionalists, he has done his best to accommodate those with a devotion to the Latin Mass. In fact, his door was open from the first day of his episcopacy. The day that he landed in El Paso and was entering the chancery for the press conference to announce his appointment, there was a group of Latin Mass devotees who prayed a regular rosary at the chancery in petition for the availability of Latin Mass in the diocese. He invited them in and talked with them before he even had his press conference. He also prioritized the establishment of an FSSP parish in El Paso, which he did within the first year of his appointment.

While I have heard nothing but good things about the spirituality of Fr. Rodriguez, the fact of the matter is that there have been issues of public disobedience at the very least, and  money mismanagement at the worst.

While the number of OF priests that have transitioned to full-time EF priests is slim, it can be done and it is possible to do while staying in a state of obedience. His heart may have been in the right place, but the fact of the matter is that as a priest, obedience is a cardinal virtue, and he has fostered disobedience not only for himself but caused scandal for his parishioners and the diocese. This fact alone leaves him less than fully innocent.

None of us on this board can know all of the facts of both sides of the story. Sometimes it's best in these situations to remember that if a situation like this is happening, it is because God wills it, or at least permits it. I think it's best to pray for both men so that God's will shall prevail in both of their hearts.

With all due respect to the bishop and his charitable actions (I have not donated organs, and am a rather despicable character),  I also feel the frustration that Charlesh displayed.  I have found that with many bishops who accomodate "tradition" within their diocese, it generally has more to do with the fact that there is an SSPX Priory or Chapel established in town, than for any accommodation of laity with a devotion to the old mass.  Forgive me for generalizing the intentions of all under one umbrella, but that's my observation.

What I  get stuck on is the concept of 'accommodating' tradition,  as if what Father Michael is requesting is a frivolous novelty.  I look at my own diocese where Bishop Fred Henry brings in the FSSP for Calgary Catholics who desire the Latin mass, as mitigation to losing parishioners to the SSPX  ( while dropping a news release saying the SSPX are not catholic) , and on several occasions imposing orders upon the FSSP priests that are in direct contradiction to their formation as priests.

But it's not simply about Bishop Henry or Bishop Seitz.  I guess this just highlights the bigger picture of the incompatibility of tradition with Vatican ll.  I am no theologian, and can offer nothing insightful to convince a bishop of the true path to salvation that others smarter than me have not already said.  I feel my best hope for salvation rests with strictly adhering to tradition, and more in line with Catholic life prior to Vatican ll ( it's why I'm here)  I cannot help but see the irony in a bishop giving a kidney to a parishioner to save their life, but not seeing that the eternal salvation of all the parishioners in his diocese is at risk for only accommodating tradition and not fully embracing it, nor enabling an assignment to a priest who does on his behalf.  God forgive me for having the audacity to judge a bishop in that manner.