FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question about reception of Communion at Novus Ordo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to preface by saying that once I studied traditional Catholicism, I began receiving Communion on my tongue, either standing or kneeling. Lately, I've been kneeling at the Novus Ordo in order to receive. My priest knows I've been kneeling, so he's careful to place the Host on my tongue. I'm a short person and we have no Communion rail, so it's a bit of a stretch. Today, however, he was on the other side of the church, and an EMHC was distributing in my aisle. I felt the Host fumble a bit around my lips and now I'm concerned...should I stand in the Novus Ordo while receiving on the tongue? Should I receive while kneeling as long as my priest is in my aisle? What do you think I should do? I didn't think my mouth wasn't open enough because I don't really think about it...this hasn't happened before. I just don't want to risk Our Lord being dropped.
Receiving from an EMHC is sketchy at best.  Those folks rarely know how to handle someone receiving on the tongue.  I would stand to avoid Our Lord on the floor - especially since there's no paten.
(05-21-2016, 08:36 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]Receiving from an EMHC is sketchy at best.  Those folks rarely know how to handle someone receiving on the tongue.  I would stand to avoid Our Lord on the floor - especially since there's no paten.

Thank you for the feedback, Fonte. I think that's a good idea.
Smile  It is most certainly a difficult circumstance.  I always try to manipulate myself into the priest's line at the NO mass near us.  I figure it's just easier for all concerned.  I only go very rarely though. 
As a rule at the Pauline Mass I always receive from the priest only, i only receive the Host and I only receive standing and on the tongue.  Since I'm more an eastern guy anyway standing is not a big deal, not to mention at the local parish there are at least a dozen or more people who receive in the same manner. 

Around these parts during the weekday Masses almost everyone receives on the tongue.  I'm serious too.

As a rule I don't make a big fuss about this stuff,I just do it and move on.  Receiving on the tongue is one option at the new rite, and it's never out of style to recieve from a priest so just keep doing what you're doing.
When I'm visiting an unfamiliar NO church, I will stand & receive on the tongue. At my home parish, however, I will kneel and do like Fonte does.

On an interesting aside, I saw the oddest thing a few weeks ago. The flock of EMHCs was at the front, and one lady received very reverently on the tongue.

Father then handed her the ciborium and then she proceeded to handle the hosts while distributing them to everyone else.
I say it's better not to risk dropping the Host, Our Lord understands your situation. I don't kneel when receiving on the tongue at the NO because I think that without a paten or altar rail it just causes complications. We are not Pharisees, It's not like there's some divine law that one "must" assume a particular bodily position, do whatever you think is more respectful.
(05-22-2016, 02:55 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]I don't kneel when receiving on the tongue at the NO because I think that without a paten or altar rail it just causes complications.

I don't see an increased risk when you kneel. In the NOM the priest is usually slightly surprised when you kneel and want to receive on the tongue, but my guess is that this leads to him paying better attention.

I've went to Communion this way over 200 times since becoming a Catholic, never had any risks with dropping the Host, except when the priest was very old and infirm (but that's another story.)
Catlick, we're not talking about receiving from the priest of an EMHC. The concern is that an EMHC is less experienced and generally unfamiliar with those who choose to kneel and receive on the tongue.  Since there's no paten, there is a risk that with someone who is already fumbling about the whole thing might drop Our Lord. 

I agree wholeheartedly when you are receiving from the priest and can do it without tripping up 3 or 4 people in the process (sometimes it's a tight space).
What I'll do is stand at the OF and kneel at the EF. I know that at Mother Angelica's shrine/chapel, where EWTN's daily Masses are televised, there is a paten when someone kneels to receive on the tongue. I just don't want to run the risk. This Host didn't even drop and I got really concerned just from how it touched my lips.
Pages: 1 2