FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Baptism - a copy of the old rite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have a situation here: a friend of mine has a new baby and wants her baptized in the old Latin rite - exorcisms and all.  We have a priest willing to perform the baptism but he needs a copy of it and can't find it.  He's just learning the TLM and really working hard to help our Latin mass community.  - He is very, very kind to us.  Does anyone have a copy?  Might someone be willing to scan a copy and email it to me? Please help!  We want this baptism to happen as soon as possible.  The family simply can't drive down to the nearest FSSP chapel - it's too far and they don't have enough seats in their car.  They would have to caravan and the new mother can't drive that kind of distance right now.

Thank you!!!1
Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!!!!
While that link is helpful for studying, please note that it is merely from a translation of the Roman Ritual, and a more recent edition at that (note the response "and also with you", lack of scaral English, i.e. thee and thou, etc.). Useful for study, but I encourage you to see if you can get the nearest FSSP church to lend one of their official ritual books for the day, either by mail or by someone driving up there and back. While parts of the baptismal rite are permitted to be said in the vernacular only, certain prayers must still be made in Latin (such as the exorcisms).

You might also consider just having one of the FSSP priests drive down there to officiate the baptism at your parish of choice, and ask your TLM-learning priest to be the server so he learns "on the job".

Either way, just printing this ritual from the Internet seems like a last-resort option.
Also, if your friend cares about solemnity, you can make a request that the priest wear a violet cope, then change to white cope along with the stole. This is an option given in the Colletio Rituum for the "more solemn" form of baptism, which also allows for the whole assembly to recite the Lord's Prayer and the Creed together, and for a hymn or chant to be sung during the procession to the font. This option is rarely exercised, so if you don't specifically ask, the priest will most likely just officiate with surplice and stole.
(05-22-2016, 05:46 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]While that link is helpful for studying, please note that it is merely from a translation of the Roman Ritual, and a more recent edition at that (note the response "and also with you", lack of scaral English, i.e. thee and thou, etc.). Useful for study, but I encourage you to see if you can get the nearest FSSP church to lend one of their official ritual books for the day, either by mail or by someone driving up there and back. While parts of the baptismal rite are permitted to be said in the vernacular only, certain prayers must still be made in Latin (such as the exorcisms).

You might also consider just having one of the FSSP priests drive down there to officiate the baptism at your parish of choice, and ask your TLM-learning priest to be the server so he learns "on the job".

Either way, just printing this ritual from the Internet seems like a last-resort option.

It is most certainly a last resort option.  But we really need to get the priest started studying or this baby will be 6 months old before the baptism happens.

I probably need to purchase a copy of the appropriate books for the parish anyway.  I'll go that route ASAP.
(05-22-2016, 05:49 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Also, if your friend cares about solemnity, you can make a request that the priest wear a violet cope, then change to white cope along with the stole. This is an option given in the Colletio Rituum for the "more solemn" form of baptism, which also allows for the whole assembly to recite the Lord's Prayer and the Creed together, and for a hymn or chant to be sung during the procession to the font. This option is rarely exercised, so if you don't specifically ask, the priest will most likely just officiate with surplice and stole.

I wish I'd known that when my 4 were baptized!  Next time . . .
This is the book our priest would need. . .  Right?  http://www.fraternitypublications.com/we...ssion.html

I don't know why my friend is freaking out about finding it.  I remembered that the FSSP has a reasonable online bookstore.  Am I crazy guys?  This is easy.  I can buy it and have it here in no time at all.  It's not so very terribly expensive and the baptism is definitely worth it.  Then, it's just a matter of giving the priest long enough to study it and work through it with our usual TLM priest (he's older and has serious breathing issues - so he struggles to get through mass - but he should be able to help a little).
(05-22-2016, 07:19 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]This is the book our priest would need. . .  Right?  http://www.fraternitypublications.com/we...ssion.html

I don't know why my friend is freaking out about finding it.  I remembered that the FSSP has a reasonable online bookstore.  Am I crazy guys?  This is easy.  I can buy it and have it here in no time at all.  It's not so very terribly expensive and the baptism is definitely worth it.  Then, it's just a matter of giving the priest long enough to study it and work through it with our usual TLM priest (he's older and has serious breathing issues - so he struggles to get through mass - but he should be able to help a little).

The problem with the Weller edition of the Roman Ritual is that it doesn't indicate which parts must be said in the original Latin and which parts may be used in vernacular. The whole book is structured so that Latin is on the left pages and English is on the right pages. I think it was written for study more than usage. A real stickler might even argue that the English parts are unofficial translations, not approved for liturgical use. (They are somewhat different than the ones given in other books.) I would not be so nitpicky myself, but you would still need to figure out which parts need to be said in Latin and put sticky notes or something over them to make sure the priest reads the left side of the book for those parts. Now, of course, if the family doesn't mind doing Latin for everything, then it's a no-brainer. Otherwise, you'll have to do the research or wait for me to find time to help this out for you, which may not be for a few days.

Now, if you're wondering which book was officially used for hybrid English/Latin baptisms.... there are two. The first is called the Collectio Rituum, first published in 1951 or so for priests of the United States. This has not only baptism, but the order of funerals and many other common blessings right down to blessings of cars and other things that only the Russian Orthodox ever seem to care to do these days. It's a great all-around book for any traditional priest to have. Since there is no reprint, these editions are extremely rare on the market now. If you look at eBay now, you're only going to see 1964 editions. There is some debate as to whether the 1964 editions are "traditional", since the English side uses a contemporary translation and there's no mandatory Latin.

The other edition, which is even rarer, is the Baptismal Ritual by Bishop Bartholomew Eustace. This is a standalone book which has only the order of baptism, the churching of women, and a couple of other related items in it, such as a guide to Latinizing baptismal names. The English translation in it is the same one used in the infamous baptism scene for The Godfather. Good luck finding one!

HK,  God bless you!  I think the intention was to do the entire baptism in Latin.  We (all involved) speak it well, so it is not a big deal.  Then again, there may be families visiting the TLM that would appreciate some of it being in English. 

I am working on building a proper library for our parish priests.  Last night, we found a copy of the Collectio Rituum that belonged to a family in our area.  But, it's their personal copy. They are willing to lend it out for the purpose of the 3 baptisms coming up.  However, we really should find another for the parish.  I will begin that search and begin pricing things.  Equipping a TLM community properly is quite a financial undertaking.  I need to get other families on board with this project or it will take years.

It would be tremendously helpful if you, as knowledgeable as you are, might be willing to compile a list of the texts you think would be really helpful for our priests to have.  My expertise is in much earlier church history, not liturgy, so I would gladly defer to you on this.