FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Archbishop Gänswein: Benedict XVI Sees Resignation as Expanding Petrine Ministry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure what to make of this:

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-pe...5-conclave

So now the 'Petrine ministry' will encompass an active and contemplative member?  Seems like such a radical departure from what has always been and only Christ could make such a fundamental change to the Church structure.
Our modern prelates never met an innovation they didn't like.  All the newness just presents so much opportunity for the presentation of opinions and the writing of articles and giving of interviews. 

Let's face it, "Church does the same thing it has always done in roughly the same way" is not a very interesting headline, and it's not likely to generate much academic interest. 

I can just see the click bait headlines about the Church if modernism hadn't infected our hierarchy to such a degree:

"Petrine ministry same as its always been, prelate reports"

"Catholic Church, like its founder, same yesterday, today, tomorrow, says expert"

"Liturgy Wars rage at local parish as attendees of early AM low Mass take all parking, continue to socialize as late PM high Mass starts"
I find the archbishop's musings to be without any foundation.  They are also corrosive and undermining.

Contrary to what he says, he is indeed positing the existence of two popes.  When Pope Benedict announced his resignation, I strongly favored a return to a black cassock and  resumption of the title of  Archbishop Joseph Ratzinger.  That would have exhibited true humility, as well as charity toward those who would otherwise be confused.  Instead, we seem to be playing footsie with ambiguities.

There is one pope and his name is Francis.  Pope Benedict resigned. He does well to pray, but there is no reason to characterize his prayer as Petrine. 
That was interesting, yet confusing. It almost sounded like he was referring to Pope Emeritus Bened XVI's current role as that of "papal adviser," although I'm not sure I'd have used the term "expanded ministry."

Still, I agree with Clare Brigid in that I thought he would have returned to the title of archbishop.
Let's not forget even during this disasterous pontificate of Pope Francis that Pope Benedict(Joseph Ratzinger) was part of the liberal "experts" prior to the Council. He is as responsible for what has happened as Pope Francis is.
I really mean no offence, but why can't they all just shut up and be normal? Every single time one of them opens his mouth, more rubbish pours out. "Expanded Petrine Ministry". Rubbish. Also rubbish was the keeping up of papal trappings like the white cassock and the rubbish title of Pope Emeritus. Wow. And BXVI is one of the good ones. Lord help us.
I am wondering whether, to the extent he claims to share the Petrine office, Joseph Ratzinger can be considered an antipope. 
(05-29-2016, 01:14 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]I am wondering whether, to the extent he claims to share the Petrine office, Joseph Ratzinger can be considered an antipope.

But did B16 say that? The article seemed more like someone claiming it, not Benedict himself.
(05-29-2016, 01:23 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2016, 01:14 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]I am wondering whether, to the extent he claims to share the Petrine office, Joseph Ratzinger can be considered an antipope.

But did B16 say that? The article seemed more like someone claiming it, not Benedict himself.

That's an important question.,  I agree.  The archbishop has a very close relationship with Ratzinger.  Would he just concoct this theory on his own?  I'm afraid he has received these impressions from Ratzinger himself. But I don't know.
(05-29-2016, 01:29 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2016, 01:23 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: [ -> ]

That's an important question.,  I agree.  The archbishop has a very close relationship with Ratzinger.  Would he just concoct this theory on his own?  I'm afraid he has received these impressions from Ratzinger himself. But I don't know.

The article's also from NCR. Consider the source.
Pages: 1 2