FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I am tired of being a traditionalist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'd like to add: I think it is a dead-end to think that one particular style of prayer or worship will be the secret to unlocking your sainthood. I think it is more to do with paying close attention to your own moral agency, frequenting the sacraments, and participating in the life of the Church.
I was not implying she was abandoning her faith, something you can do as easily as a traditional Catholic as a conciliar Catholic. My main point is that you will find the integral faith and the sacraments in traditional Catholic circles. What you find in Conciliar chapels is a corruption of the faith and doubtful sacraments. I don't think it's worth the risk; it IS worth the suffering to keep going the extra mile to the traditional chapel.

I hear a lot about "community," and I know that, for a lot of people, "community" is a major motivation for going to their chapel. But that is not a good reason to go to Mass. Being connected to people is very important, and you can find that in hobbies, neighbors, and many activities. Heck, if all you want is "community," then go to the local Lutheran church events and bring a casserole! But if you want the Catholic faith, then look for a Tridentine Mass, because the Dogma of the Faith is perfectly enshrined in that. The Faith is not enshrined in the new Mass, with its table, its communal supper, and its offering to God of "works of human hands" instead of the spotless sacrificial victim of the Divine Son. I may as well go to a Baptist meeting house as go to that.
I think a lot of people go to these small parishes for a Traditional Mass and have difficulties connecting with other people....I think that's a real issue. It's not the focus of course, it's not why we go to the Traditional Mass, but it's an issue because we're human beings. I know with me it's easy to say "I think I'll go home, drink a beer, and take a nap instead of going to the potluck or talking to people after Mass."

But I do need that sense of community, so I connect with others. Easier said than done, but worth it, and necessary.

I go to TLM as much as I can. I also have them nearby. I would never travel hours away for Mass, it's crazy. Your entire day would be shot. I'd just find an NO Mass that's at least done as conservatively as possible and stick with that and hope that I can somehow help get a TLM established where I live.

In terms of community, I think anyone would have issues if the church they're attending Mass at every week is not local. Even traveling half an hour away is a lot. The people you'd meet at Mass every week don't live anywhere near you (unless they travel from the same town).

I really feel for anyone in this situation, because every time I go to a Novus Ordo Mass, I come away very disappointed, and I shudder to think what it would be like if I had to attend it all the time. For the last 9 yrs I've been splitting my time between attending the TLM when possible and frequently attending Eastern Catholic Liturgy.
Deleted
(06-05-2016, 08:49 AM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]                                              I really feel for anyone in this situation, because every time I go to a Novus Ordo Mass, I come away very disappointed, and I shudder to think what it would be like if I had to attend it all the time. For the last 9 yrs I've been splitting my time between attending the TLM when possible and frequently attending Eastern Catholic Liturgy.

I feel the same. it's just empty feeling. I can't imagine going back to a time when the NO is the only Mass I go to. That said, if I had no choice, I'd still go out of obligation and offer up that emptiness as penance.
(06-05-2016, 05:29 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2016, 08:49 AM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]                                              I really feel for anyone in this situation, because every time I go to a Novus Ordo Mass, I come away very disappointed, and I shudder to think what it would be like if I had to attend it all the time. For the last 9 yrs I've been splitting my time between attending the TLM when possible and frequently attending Eastern Catholic Liturgy.

I feel the same. it's just empty feeling. I can't imagine going back to a time when the NO is the only Mass I go to. That said, if I had no choice, I'd still go out of obligation and offer up that emptiness as penance.

If going to the Novus Ordo mass leaves you disappointed why not offer up your attendance there for the poor souls in Purgatory.
The priests does not pray the mass because of how it makes him feel.
Pages: 1 2 3