FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I am so dense...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just realized something in the midst of our morning Scripture reading this morning.  We were reading about the Tower of Babel and the creation of the various languages.  Suddenly, it hit me that the first miracle performed by the Apostles after Pentecost was speaking in tongues, essentially reversing the punishment of Babel and bring all men together again in the universal Church.

DUH!!!  :doh:

It only tok me 40+ years to realize that...
(06-17-2016, 11:03 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]I just realized something in the midst of our morning Scripture reading this morning.  We were reading about the Tower of Babel and the creation of the various languages.  Suddenly, it hit me that the first miracle performed by the Apostles after Pentecost was speaking in tongues, essentially reversing the punishment of Babel and bring all men together again in the universal Church.

DUH!!!  :doh:

It only tok me 40+ years to realize that...
WOW, I never put that together. Babel made it where some people couldn't understand others...speaking in tongues made it where everyone heard the Apostles in their own language.

Mind = blown.
In your defense, Pilgrim, I think it's been quite a while since you spent some time in Genesis.  :)
(06-17-2016, 11:13 AM)Share Love Wrote: [ -> ]WOW, I never put that together. Babel made it where some people couldn't understand others...speaking in tongues made it where everyone heard the Apostles in their own language.

Mind = blown.

OK, I'm glad it wasn't just me.  Thanks, ShareLove!

(06-17-2016, 11:18 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]In your defense, Pilgrim, I think it's been quite a while since you spent some time in Genesis.  :)

Maybe, though I still feel like a moron...
Fascinating perspective I've never caught/heard of before that makes absolute perfect sense.  My hat is off to you sir. :tiphat:
Beautiful typology.
From the Byzantine rite's kontakion of Pentecost:

When the Most High came down and confounded tongues of men at Babel, He divided the nations. When He dispensed the tongues of fire, He called all to unity, and with one voice we glorify the Most Holy Spirit.
That is interesting because this past spring I was in Germany for a celebration for our international Congregation of Franciscan Sisters of Dillingen and there were sisters present from four continents.  The language barrier was a real challenge for me.
I found it interesting that it was at Pentecost time that this multi-lingual gathering took place.  We were all members of the same congregation and the same church, but speaking different languages. 
I actually wrote about the experience after returning: https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com/...pen-heart/