FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: First Latin Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(06-19-2016, 05:06 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2016, 03:48 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Yep definitely low mass. Very few churches do sung masses on a weekly basis. There are many that never do them at all. Have to see if you can find a schedule somewhere

Interesting. At the three traditional parishes here, there are weekly high Masses every Sunday (except as the SSPX parish during the summers, it's just low Masses). In fact, in my travels, I've found the traditional priestly groups almost always have one of the parish Masses on Sundays as a high Mass.
Priestly groups are different since they're 100% TLM all the time. Many regular parishes that offer a single TLM (with the rest being NO) don't have the resources (or enough attendees) to have a scola. I've been to plenty of different TLM parishes in my travels that didn't offer sung masses. The two in my area have one that does it like twice a month and another that never does it.
I do think I would like it a lot more if it were sung. I once saw a spoken Eastern Catholic divine liturgy and it made my skin crawl. I imagine the differences are similar. Another good thing I noticed was there was a long line for confession. That impressed me.
Why didn't they just translate the Tridentine mass into the vernacular and be done with it. Sounds so much simpler as opposed to blowing the whole thing up.
(06-20-2016, 05:56 PM)Silouan Wrote: [ -> ]I do think I would like it a lot more if it were sung. I once saw a spoken Eastern Catholic divine liturgy and it made my skin crawl. I imagine the differences are similar. Another good thing I noticed was there was a long line for confession. That impressed me.

I went to a Ukrainian Catholic liturgy that was spoken once.  It was a Saturday evening, and it was two women sitting in the front speaking everything the deacon would normally speak.  Pretty gross.

(06-20-2016, 05:59 PM)Silouan Wrote: [ -> ]Why didn't they just translate the Tridentine mass into the vernacular and be done with it. Sounds so much simpler as opposed to blowing the whole thing up.

There is an Anglican Ordinariate parish in Baltimore called Mount Calvary.  Apparently the Ordinariate parishes are hit or miss, but this one is basically the TLM, with chanting every Sunday, all in English.  The parish even has Evensong every Sunday evening.  If you're ever in the Baltimore area, I'd check them out.
(06-20-2016, 07:27 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2016, 05:56 PM)Silouan Wrote: [ -> ]I do think I would like it a lot more if it were sung. I once saw a spoken Eastern Catholic divine liturgy and it made my skin crawl. I imagine the differences are similar. Another good thing I noticed was there was a long line for confession. That impressed me.

I went to a Ukrainian Catholic liturgy that was spoken once.  It was a Saturday evening, and it was two women sitting in the front speaking everything the deacon would normally speak.  Pretty gross.

(06-20-2016, 05:59 PM)Silouan Wrote: [ -> ]Why didn't they just translate the Tridentine mass into the vernacular and be done with it. Sounds so much simpler as opposed to blowing the whole thing up.

There is an Anglican Ordinariate parish in Baltimore called Mount Calvary.  Apparently the Ordinariate parishes are hit or miss, but this one is basically the TLM, with chanting every Sunday, all in English.  The parish even has Evensong every Sunday evening.  If you're ever in the Baltimore area, I'd check them out.

I will also say it was kinda surreal knowing that from the Catholic perspective I would be allowed to have confession and commune. In a sense I am Catholic.
How was the sermon??
(06-19-2016, 10:51 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2016, 05:06 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2016, 03:48 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Yep definitely low mass. Very few churches do sung masses on a weekly basis. There are many that never do them at all. Have to see if you can find a schedule somewhere

Interesting. At the three traditional parishes here, there are weekly high Masses every Sunday (except as the SSPX parish during the summers, it's just low Masses). In fact, in my travels, I've found the traditional priestly groups almost always have one of the parish Masses on Sundays as a high Mass.
Priestly groups are different since they're 100% TLM all the time. Many regular parishes that offer a single TLM (with the rest being NO) don't have the resources (or enough attendees) to have a scola. I've been to plenty of different TLM parishes in my travels that didn't offer sung masses. The two in my area have one that does it like twice a month and another that never does it.

Pilgrim and I attend just such a local parish that has a single TLM on Sundays.  The choir (I won't call it a scola) does its best to sing a high mass every so often - mostly on big feasts.  I'll be honest, an inexperienced choir/scola is a penitential experience.  The choir has driven away at least a few Catholics along the way.  I don't know why but they persist in trying to do very complex music without the training to pull it off.  They have good hearts but would do better to stick to the simpler settings for the Mass. 
I'd imagine that they see other parishes doing complex stuff and want to do the same. The regular Mass settings should be fairly simple for any choir to learn. The most difficult piece are the propers. They can get quite complex. I've seen some choirs just do a very basic chant of them rather than trying to do the more complex versions. It's not as pretty, but it gets the job done.
I don't recall hearing anything other than the normal Gregorian settings for Sunday High Masses at the traditional parishes that I frequent.  It is interesting to me that the trad parishes tend to stick to the normal settings, but the part-time trad parishes try to do complicated settings.  It seems that in the part-time trad parishes, sometimes the High Mass is treated like a spectator event -- maybe because it is done so rarely.  So they try to really go all out for it.  I don't know if that is very wise, though, since off-putting music really sends people away more than some other things.
Let's just say that plain chant would be way better than poorly executed polyphony. 

I think part-time trad parishes struggle because the group of TLM attendees is relatively small, there is little support from the parish itself, and whatever choir is probably led by a volunteer who doesn't have a whole lot of experience.  These folks want/need to prove that the TLM is worth having at the parish and that it can be majestic and beautiful.  They struggle because they are setting the standard too high and lack the resources to even come close. 
Pages: 1 2 3