FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope warns against ‘rigidity,’ avoids calling Christian deaths 'genocide'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Full title (tweaked to fit the subject line): Pope warns against ‘rigidity,’ says 'genocide' is inappropriate description of Christian suffering [CC]

"Before addressing questions from some of the young people, Pope Francis asked that the Lord “free us from priests of hurry, or who go in a hurry, always, who do not have time to listen, to see, who must do their own thing; free us from the doctors who want to present the faith of Jesus Christ with a mathematical rigidity; and teach us to stop ourselves and teach us that wisdom of the Gospel: ‘to get one’s hands dirty.’”

In remarks about Christians who suffer for the faith, the Pope said: "I don't like it when some speak of a Christian genocide in the Middle East." That description, he said, is a form of "reductionism." The proper term, the Pope insisted, is "a mystery of the faith: martyrdom."

That statement contrasted with a statement that Pope Francis made in Bolivia last year. Speaking of the persecution of Christians in the Middle East, he said that "in this third world war, waged piecemeal, which we are now experiencing, a form of genocide is taking place, and it must end.""

Why can't it be a genocide and martyrdom? Why did he decide against his previous description of "genocide"? I don't get it.

As for the "rigidity"...business as usual, I'm afraid. :(

http://www.catholic culture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=28617
Share Love, I don't get it either.  It most certainly looks like genocide to me.  What do you call martyrdom on a large scale such as we are seeing in the Middle East?  I'm not sure there's any other terminology to use . . .
I acutally think I get what the Pope is saying in his genocide remarks. It seems like he is trying to highlight the spiritual side to the genocide, this line from Ephesians comes to mind: "For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principalities and powers, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high places." This is not just a war between Christians and ISIS and their sympathizers, but ultimately against the powers of evil, spiritual forces.
Well, that makes some sense . . . 
Syrian Orthodox Patriarch Ignatius Efrem II Karim of Damascus survived an attack by a suicide bomber on June 19, but at least four people (including the bomber) were killed by the explosion.

The attack took place as the Syrian prelate was leading a remembrance ceremony for the victims of the genocidal Turkish campaign against Armenian and Assyrian Christians. The bomb exploded just outside the church in Qamishi, Syria, where the Patriarch blessed a memorial for the genocide victims.

Responsibility for the attack has not yet been established, but suspicions point toward the Islamic State.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=28622

Try telling him that there is no genocide against the Christians.