FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A Mass entirely in sign language: how cool!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I enjoy following the Daily Mass show that CatholicTV airs. Today, the priest and lector are using sign language. I've never seen this before!

http://www.catholictv.com/shows/daily-ma...ay-tuesday

You can even see the lector making the sign of the cross over his hands, because that's how he talks. This is so cool.  :grin:
I am not sure that a Mass is valid if the words of consecration are not spoken. I know sign language is an actual language- it's not just a bunch of gestures anymore than spoken language is just a bunch of noises- but I don't know if the Mass is valid if the words are not spoken.  I'm also not sure if there is an approved liturgical translation into American Sign Language.
(06-21-2016, 12:21 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure that a Mass is valid if the words of consecration are not spoken. I know sign language is an actual language- it's not just a bunch of gestures anymore than spoken language is just a bunch of noises- but I don't know if the Mass is valid if the words are not spoken.  I'm also not sure if there is an approved liturgical translation into American Sign Language.
Good points. I'm not sure, either.
(06-21-2016, 12:21 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure that a Mass is valid if the words of consecration are not spoken.

It is not.

Even if ASL is a true means of communication, the words of consecration (and the rite itself) consists of spoken words. Otherwise a priest could celebrate Mass by typing the words of the rite. Both ASL and typing are means of communicating, but are not speaking.

The formal element of any Sacrament are spoken words.

Historically for deaf communities there would be an interpreter for the audible parts of a Mass or sermon.
Ah, okay. That's too bad then. I was really enjoying it.