FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Christians should apologize for helping to marginalize gays, Pope says
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Catholics and other Christians not only must apologize to the gay community, they must ask forgiveness of God for ways they have discriminated against homosexual persons or fostered hostility toward them, Pope Francis said.

“I think the church not only must say it is sorry to the gay person it has offended, but also to the poor, to exploited women” and anyone whom the church did not defend when it could, he told reporters June 26.

https://cnstopstories.com/2016/06/26/chr...pope-says/
The only people he needs to apologize to are traditional Catholics.
(06-26-2016, 09:06 PM)charlesh Wrote: [ -> ]The only people he needs to apologize to are traditional Catholics.
Absolutely right.

With gay people, he says, "If he seeks the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?" But he blasts Catholics who are trying to be faithful for "rigidity," "neo-Pelagianism," "fundamentalism," being "doctors of the law," etc...it's disturbing.
This is immensely tiring and disheartening.  If I, as someone who is trying very hard to follow all Catholic teachings, am always the first one to be criticized, while people living in objectively moral sin are always given a pass, an excuse, or an apology, why should I bother?

Of course, I don't really feel this way, but how many people are?  How many people are being effectively discouraged from living up to Catholic teaching.

After hearing Cardinal Marx' comments this week, I'm starting to wonder if any of the Church leadership, minus a small minority are even orthodox any more.  I've taken to feeling that I'm Catholic despite the bishops and Pope, not because of them, and it's getting really old.

(06-26-2016, 09:17 PM)ConceptJunkie Wrote: [ -> ]After hearing Cardinal Marx' comments this week, I'm starting to wonder if any of the Church leadership, minus a small minority are even orthodox any more.  I've taken to feeling that I'm Catholic despite the bishops and Pope, not because of them, and it's getting really old.
This reminds me of something that popped into my head not too long ago...I say in the Creed, "I believe in...the Holy Catholic Church"...but I'm not sure if many of the clergy of the Church believes in people like me. Regardless, I'm going to soldier on, because I have faith that Jesus established this Church, and I don't want to be anywhere else.
People who choose to make their sexual proclivities their defining characteristic marginalize themselves.

Will I pray for gays and be charitable towards them.  Definitely.  But I will not go around and apologize to placate a lobby that already has and is gaining substantial power over affairs.  Who shall apologize to anyone with traditional minded values when they have been discriminated against or faced hostility?  I guess that's not a concern as the common answer is that our days are bygone and to get with the times.

I understand from where the Pope and the Church stand.  A more liberal attitude may bring lapsed Catholics home, reignite feelings of faith and retain the more liberally minded Catholics.  These kinds of statements appeal to those people.  But is it really worth to do it on the backs of traditionalists that keep the core and the heart of the Church in mind?  No.  What a carnival.  I acknowledge the role of the Pope, believe in the Church (though I have my current struggles) but I can't follow this agenda.  Just need to put my blinders on for awhile. 

Whilst I am not a sede, and I have no doubt that Francis is Pope, I can no longer define myself as a Papally Loyal Catholic.  I am convinced more every day that Francis is working as hard as he can to destroy the Faith and Holy Mother Church! May God have mercy upon us and send us a CATHOLIC Pope!
This pope is an absolute disaster.  His reign can't be over soon enough, and should God the Holy Spirit find it in His Holy Will to send us a pope FAITHFUL to Christian teachings and values - he will have quite the mess to clean up! 

God HAS to be testing our resolve.  There can be no other explanation. 

2 Thessalonians 2:15 (RSVCE) ~ So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

We have a sacred duty to be strong and KEEP THE FAITH.  I promise - we will outlast this pope. 

I believe what the Catechism teaches about homosexuality (a disorder and not a sin) and homosexuals (called to chastity, to be treated with respect, love, compassion, and without undue discrimination) and lament how some of my co-religionists lack compassion for those who have the Cross of SSA. But I really, really, really do not like the Holy Father's talking about how "Christians" need to "apologize" for "marginalizing" gay people when not all -- not most -- Christians do, and when the Holy Faith does not teach such a thing. If he'd phrased it in such a way that affirms what the Church teaches, encourages those who don't understand what the Church teaches to learn and understand, and applauds the true Catholic approach to homosexuality and homosexuals, that'd be one thing, but as it is, he's piling on a people who are piled on everywhere they turn. Basta! And for him to do this while he so often shames sincere Catholics in so many ways is really hard to take.

This shaming of Christians and of the Church has got to stop. Yesterday.
Pages: 1 2 3 4