FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How can we help save our fallen-away and never-converted children?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please tell me every way you know.
Prayer, especially the rosary.

Fasting and other sacrifices.

Living your faith joyfully.

Gentle invitations, exercising prudence in what you say and how you say it.

Doing everything with hope and trust in Our Lord's mercy and grace.
(06-27-2016, 04:35 PM)Margaret-Mary Wrote: [ -> ]Please tell me every way you know.

Being an example by taking up your Cross and carrying it with dignity, charity, and compassion. Showing the joy and equanimity that come from knowing Christ. Prayer. Fasting. Having ready answers to any questions posed. Planting seeds whenever prudent. Being psychologically savvy, listening to the other, emotionally affirming them, and meeting them where they're at. Not disregarding their natural virtues. Understanding the stuff on the "Conversion of the Heart" page. Never, ever, ever nagging or pushing or panicking -- something I think comes down to realizing that conversion is, ultimately, a matter of the Holy Ghost's doing in some dynamic relationship with the individual involved. IOW, aside from being an example, praying, fasting, and having answers, it's really not up to US. We have to, as they say, "let go, and let God," to simply do what we can, and then trust in Jesus.

I'm in the position of having an unbelieving daughter (one who, though, praise God, is very respectful of the Church, isn't eaten up with political correctness, and who has a very brilliant mind). It's extremely painful, I know. And I think she might think I don't have the "never nag" thing unmastered. It's hard, isn't it?

Prayers for all of us in this situation...

(06-27-2016, 05:35 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]Prayer, especially the rosary.

Fasting and other sacrifices.

Living your faith joyfully.

Gentle invitations, exercising prudence in what you say and how you say it.

Doing everything with hope and trust in Our Lord's mercy and grace.

I am in the same boat.... And need to live this message...

Reflecting the love of Jesus to your children the way the moon reflects the light of the sun (or, in this case, Son). If they see His love in you, they will be attracted to that.
There is so much good advice here and I'd add just one more: never give up.  Remember St. Monica and her struggles in this area. 
Ten suggestions :

1. Never be bitter.
2. Never be bitter.
3. Never be bitter.
4. Pray
5. Develop a true spiritual life
6. Do penance for your own sins, and to make reparation for theirs
7. Radiate the true joy of a Christian.
8. Preach by your joy and example
9. Be open and welcoming, but never approving or encouraging of sin
10. Never be bitter.
Getting a Mass offered can be very powerful Smile
Just live a good Christian life without pretension.
Pray and don't be ashamed of it around others.
Don't make excuses for your sins or try to appear more holy than you are.
Don't worry too much about others, you never know how someone could change.
It's NOT up to you, it's up to God, you are only His instrument and a channel of His grace. We do what we can but ultimately its God that opens hearts and saves souls, not us.
Love them.
Pray for them.
Be nice to their friends. (You never know who else you could convert.)