FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: respect for parents and mortal sin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At what point does disrespect to parents become a mortal sin? For example if you criticize an opinion of your parents to yourself, with some irritation, could that be mortal? If you speak irritably to a parent is that for sure venial? How do you tell where the line is drawn? I don't know if some moral manuals describe this. Also I'm talking about the relationship of parents and their adult children. Thanks!
One thing that is also unclear to me is whether there are degrees at all with this Commandment. If someone sins against purity with full intent and knowledge that's a mortal sin, not venial. So why would disrespect for parents be divided into mortal or venial sin based on gravity of the disrespect? Is that the case?
It's tough. I don't know enough to say any way. I know people whose parents were terrible and irresponsible where the children hold resentment. What does respect mean in this situation?
It must be difficult for people who have abusive parents.. I guess they would need to find healing and try to let go of the resentment. In a general case if a person criticised an opinion of a parent, with irritation, just to themselves - do you think that would be a mortal or venial sin? I don't understand where the line is drawn
(06-28-2016, 12:06 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: [ -> ]At what point does disrespect to parents become a mortal sin? For example if you criticize an opinion of your parents to yourself, with some irritation, could that be mortal? If you speak irritably to a parent is that for sure venial? How do you tell where the line is drawn? I don't know if some moral manuals describe this. Also I'm talking about the relationship of parents and their adult children. Thanks!

In Italian American households, it mortally sinful if you throw the plates AT a parent rather than at the wall.

Seriously, being irritated isn't a sin. It's an emotion. Taking your irritation and doing evil with it would be sinful.

Sounding irritated isn't sinful either. It's what happens when one is irritated, which isn't a sinful thing to be. If you're disrespectful, don't will the Good for them, don't do your duties toward them, then that's sinful, but y'all are grown-ups. You can disagree and get irritated with each other. (I somehow have the feeling that hanging out with Italians would freak you out LOL)
(06-28-2016, 12:06 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: [ -> ]At what point does disrespect to parents become a mortal sin? For example if you criticize an opinion of your parents to yourself, with some irritation, could that be mortal? If you speak irritably to a parent is that for sure venial? How do you tell where the line is drawn? I don't know if some moral manuals describe this. Also I'm talking about the relationship of parents and their adult children. Thanks!

None of these situations you describe are mortal sins. It can be mortally sinful if you willfully harbor hatred or maliciously wish them death or serious harm.

Quote:One thing that is also unclear to me is whether there are degrees at all with this Commandment. If someone sins against purity with full intent and knowledge that's a mortal sin, not venial. So why would disrespect for parents be divided into mortal or venial sin based on gravity of the disrespect? Is that the case?

There are degrees of gravity for it.  A good example would be converts whose parents come from an evangelical background and who frown upon the use of alcohol. They themselves might not mind having a drink now and then, but it would be disrespectful to do it in front of their parents. It would not be sinful, however, for an adult to have a drink against one's parents' wishes when they're not around.
I think a lot of it is tone too.  For example, my mom and I are both very strong willed women.  Sometimes, I have to tell her to take a step back and let me parent my children (once a mom, always a mom . . . ).  I try really hard to keep my tone respectful but strong: I'm an adult communicating a boundary, not a child throwing a tantrum.  If we need to revisit a topic, we do so.  Often, I'll write a note explaining my point of view.  This gives us both an advantage: we can think carefully about our words and control what we say better.  Most of the time, the resolution that comes of all this is respect for my decision and a big hug.  We've had to work at things though; it certainly wasn't always thus. 

I think as adults, we have an obligation to love and respect our parents: they gave us life, faith, education, and love.  We also really should return those gifts with interest as they age.  When they need us, we should be there for them - or at least try to be.  For example, my parents, Pilgrim and I are moving in together.  It's a good arrangement because of the situation.  It will only work, however, if we all respect one another and take care to communicate firmly but lovingly.  They need to respect our role as parents, our needs as a couple, and the fact that we are adults.  We in turn need to respect them and love them - even when the volume on the TV is set at 50-75 and we listen to it at 15.  Grin
Thanks for the replies! Smile I'd just ask my priest but I just went to Confession today, lol, and I'm also scrupulous so often I have trouble figuring out such things.

So if I'm correct, the gravity of the disrespect does matter... what happened was that my mom and I were having a conversation on the phone about the timing of doing something (the action was morally neutral and minor in the grand scheme of things). I didn't understand why this was an issue.. and when we hung up, I said to myself, "why does this matter" but in an irritated way rather than just wondering. It seemed to me after like I wasn't really respecting my mom's point of view but criticizing it, instead of just calmly disagreeing (which as I understand is okay, because I'm an adult).

In my reasoning, it seems like a venial sin to me, but it's still (as I see it) not very respectful... and I couldn't figure out why with some sins, (like impurity) ANY willed sin would be mortal, whereas with some Commandments, like anger/respect for parents or authority/etc - it would be divided into more grave matter and more venial matter. Aren't we bound to all the Commandments by grave matter? so - even though in my reason, it seems rather venial, I don't understand - theologically - HOW such things are venial, when they break a Commandment. And so my scruples come in  Crazy! 

if anyone has any further thoughts on this I'd be really grateful just so I can let it go and have Communion tomorrow, if I can. It also happened that I felt critical of someone and felt dislike for the person, unjustly because they did nothing wrong... but as I realized that I felt this way, I didn't like it and prayed for God to help me overcome it - and it's totally gone now. It's potentially confusing for someone with a scrupulous conscience, because on one hand I did feel these things, on the other hand, sin is not in what we feel, but in what we choose, right? I hope I'm right! I guess that's our fallen human nature, we feel and think all kinds of things
This is something I had to ponder, myself. The feedback I received on this question was basically this: if you are intentionally being malicious to a parent, doing something grave toward them, it's mortal. Being frustrated with them is not. Saying something rude because you're tired or hurt or something is not.

My particular examination of conscience has most of the mortal sins that are outlined in the Catechism, and it doesn't include a mortal sin for this particular commandment. I would imagine it's pretty difficult to cross that line, because it's a line you would have to look for, know you've found it, and then cross it.

I would look up the Ten Commandments for the Scrupulous and follow those, well, scrupulously.  Grin
I was at my daughter's wedding last night and snapped at my mom a bit.  She was being rude to my sister-in-law and I told her off.  Admittedly, my SIL is a bit of a pain from time to time but mom was taking a picture of the kids and had them sitting still (a miracle given the setting).  SIL saw an opportunity for a picture and swooped in.  Makes sense to me, but it set mom off.  We snapped at each other and the apologized a few minutes later.  I think this is a normal part of the give and take of a relationship and not something to confess.
Pages: 1 2