FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What 'earthly things?'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

‘If I have spoken earthly things to you, and you do not believe,
how will you believe if I speak to you of heavenly things’ (John 3:12)?

What 'earthly' things did Jesus (God) mean in this passage?
Hey Cassini,

Here is the Haydock Commentary for this passage, although for some reason it seems to be covered in verse 10 and not 12....

Ver. 10. And knoweth not these things. That is, of baptism given by in a visible manner, and you understand not, how will you comprehend greater and heavenly things, if I speak of them? (Witham) --- Many passages, both in the law and the prophets, implied this doctrine of regeneration; for what else can be the meaning of the circumcision of the heart, commanded by Moses; (Deuteronomy x. 16.) of the renewal of a clean and right spirit, prayed for by David; (Psalm l.) of God's giving his people a new heart and a new spirit. (Ezechiel xxxvi. 26, &c.) But the Pharisees, taken up with their rites and traditions, paid little attention to spiritual things of greater moment.

http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id94.html
(07-06-2016, 12:04 PM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Cassini,

Here is the Haydock Commentary for this passage, although for some reason it seems to be covered in verse 10 and not 12....

Ver. 10. And knoweth not these things. That is, of baptism given by in a visible manner, and you understand not, how will you comprehend greater and heavenly things, if I speak of them? (Witham) --- Many passages, both in the law and the prophets, implied this doctrine of regeneration; for what else can be the meaning of the circumcision of the heart, commanded by Moses; (Deuteronomy x. 16.) of the renewal of a clean and right spirit, prayed for by David; (Psalm l.) of God's giving his people a new heart and a new spirit. (Ezechiel xxxvi. 26, &c.) But the Pharisees, taken up with their rites and traditions, paid little attention to spiritual things of greater moment.

http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id94.html

Thanks BC.