FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is Orthodoxy the future of Christianity?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So after watching Columbe on Putin, I wonder even more if the Orthodox Church is the future of Christianity.  Perhaps Russia was consecrated satisfactorily after all?

(07-15-2016, 02:30 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: [ -> ]So after watching Columbe on Putin, I wonder even more if the Orthodox Church is the future of Christianity.  Perhaps Russia was consecrated satisfactorily after all.

If religious reversion is an indication of the consecration having taken place, wouldn't the conversion be to Catholicism?
Lately, I have been thinking about Our Lady of Fatima and whether Our Lady's was speaking about Russia's conversion from Bolshevism. The Putin regime seems to be the closest thing in our time to a Gelasian dyarchy of Church and State. But I am also concerned about reports of serious criminal corruption in these Russian institutions. Maybe this is all a facade.
Quote:If religious reversion is an indication of the consecration having taken place, wouldn't the conversion be to Catholicism?

That's what I would think, but the Lord can work in mysterious ways...
Even though I'm of Russian ancestry and spiritually pretty much fully Slavic in my style I'm not willing to get too excited about the Russian Federation or ANY state for that matter.  Sure right now compared to the modern western world Russia seems to be a shining city on a hill, but we mustn't forget that we live in a fallen world and that we have here no abiding city.  Let us not be taken in and smitten with any State anywhere in the world.  Our real kingdom is "not of this world. "

As for Fatima there's no way that any conversion would be to Latin Rite Catholicism,that would be absurd. Russia has its roots in Byzantium,not Rome. If anything a conversion would be to being in communion with Rome but otherwise changing nothing of their rites. 
(07-15-2016, 03:20 AM)Pacman Wrote: [ -> ]Lately, I have been thinking about Our Lady of Fatima and whether Our Lady's was speaking about Russia's conversion from Bolshevism. The Putin regime seems to be the closest thing in our time to a Gelasian dyarchy of Church and State. But I am also concerned about reports of serious criminal corruption in these Russian institutions. Maybe this is all a facade.

In 1917, Russia hadn't fallen to communism yet. It didn't come from nothing, of course, but the communists didn't take power until 1921.  Our Lady could have been fortelling Soviet communism, when she referred to Russia's errors, but who knows?  It could have been something else. Maybe the errors she was referring to were Orthodoxy's errors. Maybe communism was just a prelude to something worse.
Nope.
(07-15-2016, 02:40 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]If religious reversion is an indication of the consecration having taken place, wouldn't the conversion be to Catholicism?

The God of Christianity isn't wont to do things instantaneously, perhaps it is an ongoing but currently incomplete conversion?
(07-15-2016, 09:11 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-15-2016, 02:40 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]If religious reversion is an indication of the consecration having taken place, wouldn't the conversion be to Catholicism?

The God of Christianity isn't wont to do things instantaneously, perhaps it is an ongoing but currently incomplete conversion?

Generally He tends to do things that no human being would ever have thought up.

Look at how the Arian Crisis was ended ... thanks to an Apostate Emperor.

Perhaps Russia will be the means of saving the West from itself, perhaps not, but it's hard to talk of "conversion" until after the fact is well-proved.

Just like we might be thrilled that a non-Christian has started taking Catechism classes in preparation for Baptism doesn't mean that he has or will convert. I've seen plenty jump ship, or worse, accept Baptism, have the Catholic girl that they were chasing dump them, and dump the Faith just as quickly.
Three things here I think we can keep somewhat separate:
What the Fatima message meant ( think the conversion of Russia from Communism AND the reunion of Orthodoxy and Rome). But this is a separate issue from number 2, which is Putin, who I do think is the only superpower leader today that is a believing Christian, that wants to  protect Christians in the world. But he is a man, with his own set of sins and so on, so we should not equate one man with an immense religious solution like this. Charlemagne was a blessing for the Church, and he also had all sorts of personal sins. So the sinfulness of the man, and the corruption of the government do not equate one way or another to  'yay' or a 'nay'.
The future of Christianity I think will have to include Orthodoxy (it already does, as BXVI explained) more intimately, and will have to also include a massive cleaning of the stables in Rome. Both will have to change.
Disclaimer: personally, I really like Putin and think he is our best candidate for a 21st century Charlemagne!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5