FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The SSPX to be given personal prelature?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just saw this article: SSPX Will Get Personal Prelature. (Fr. Z has it too.)

Quote:C & W: Why is a Personal Prelature appropriate for the SSPX?

Pozzo: That seems to be the appropriate canonical form. Monsignor Fellay has accepted the proposal, even if in the coming months details remain to be clarified. Only Opus Dei currently enjoys this canonical structure, which is a big vote of confidence for the SSPX. It is clear that the solution of the canonical form requires the solution of the doctrinal questions.

My favourite quote of the article is this, which I think is applicable to all of our Latin Mass communities: "The Fraternity does not, as is often claimed, only value the traditional liturgy, but also has substantive work." -Msgr. Pozzo
Technically, the SSPX does not need any kind of recognition from Nu Church.  But, most people have been fed misinformation about the SSPX for decades.  Recognition would make it possible for some of these people to go to an SSPX Chapel.

So we have the pure intention of recognition by the SSPX to save more souls.  Nu Church on the other hand, is looking for some crack to open so they can get some control on a traditional group that they loathe.  Nu Church views power it cannot use, as power lost.
We were told, during the sermon on the Sunday before last, that the SSPX will never and can never accept Vatican II. 
LIKE ALL OF THIS SO MUCH THAT I LOVE IT:
(07-29-2016, 07:05 PM)Albino_Luciani Wrote: [ -> ]Technically, the SSPX does not need any kind of recognition from Nu Church.  But, most people have been fed misinformation about the SSPX for decades.  Recognition would make it possible for some of these people to go to an SSPX Chapel.

So we have the pure intention of recognition by the SSPX to save more souls.  Nu Church on the other hand, is looking for some crack to open so they can get some control on a traditional group that they loathe.  Nu Church views power it cannot use, as power lost.
AND I LOVE IT BECAUSE IT IS ACCURATE.
(07-29-2016, 08:18 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]We were told, during the sermon on the Sunday before last, that the SSPX will never and can never accept Vatican II.
Was this in an SSPX chapel?

Also, YAY, personal prelature like Opus Dei! This is good news!
(07-29-2016, 08:18 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]We were told, during the sermon on the Sunday before last, that the SSPX will never and can never accept Vatican II.
In response to this, I'm going to paste in here something I posted on another forum, being that "accept" is a very vague word:

Miriam_M Wrote:with regard to SSPX and all the other fine trad apostolates, what is really required is this:  Dear Rome, on a practical, day to day level, what would "accepting Vatican II" look like for the Society or for anyone?  Because at least 4 options are possible here:

"accepting" means merely never saying anything negative about it
"accepting" means publicly affirming its wonders -- in documents, from the pulpit, whatever
"accepting" means creating specific catechetical programs within SSPX, etc. structures, to be included among other catechetical programs
"accepting" means heresy:  i.e., teaching that Vatican 2 is the exclusive reference point for Roman Catholicism.  That, my friends, is the material reality in most Conciliar parishes in the U.S.

If you're a trad apostolate and you "submit" to NuChurch by stating with your lips that you, the leaders of said apostolate, "accept" V2, what does that require you to do, practically and morally?  For the trads I know, and the trad leadership to whom I submit, "accepting" is a completely empty (impotent) term.  We, laity and clergy, ignore V2.  There is no reference to it, no teaching of it, etc.  The entire era is skipped, which is appropriate, since the apostates, post-V2, have themselves repeatedly tried to erase about 1, 960 years of Church teaching which preceded the Council.
Yes, it was an SSPX chapel.

I was using "accept" to paraphrase the substance of the sermon, not as a quotation.

Also, I wanted to add that I think the NuChurch people float these rumors about compromise in order to try to drive a wedge between what they think are different factions in the SSPX. So I don't give them much credit at all. I don't foresee the SSPX signing off on whatever it is NuChurch has in mind. And I disagree with people who think that the SSPX would in any way benefit from an arrangement with them -- people go to the SSPX because of what they stand for. They get vocations and have schools, etc. because of what they stand for. If they stop standing for that, they're nothing. Sure, some Novus Ordo Catholics might finally be "comfortable" turning up, but if they're too scared to go now, why would anyone expect them to add much if they turn up later.
(07-29-2016, 09:10 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]If they stop standing for that, they're nothing.

How would accepting regularization (which the SSPX is owed by virtue of being Catholic) constitute any sort of acceptance of that which the SSPX rightly resists?

(07-29-2016, 09:10 PM)ermy_law Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, some Novus Ordo Catholics might finally be "comfortable" turning up, but if they're too scared to go now, why would anyone expect them to add much if they turn up later.

I think you underestimate how many Catholics with good intentions are unfortunately misinformed about the SSPX.

Any sort of regularization would be wonderful, NOT just because it would bring people to SSPX masses, but because it would effectively give official legitimacy to everything the SSPX has claimed about VII, the new Mass, etc, and would (hopefully) give reason for those who have attacked the SSPX to seriously re-consider their own position. 
My concern is that the vocations to the SSPX, and so the priests of the SSPX as well as the religious, come about because of the specific mission of the SSPX to stand against the Novus Ordo edifice.

In the non-SSPX groups, one sees a different ethos, different sorts of vocations.

With regularization, frankly, I'm concerned those people will try out a vocation with the SSPX. And ultimately, the purpose for the Society will be diminished.

There's a reason people who go to the SSPX go there instead of groups that are already "recognized."

Plus I just have specific concerns like will the local SSPX school gets sucked into the diocesan programs and have to teach the nonsense that they teach. Things like that worry me.
I hope they get a personal prelature soon!
Pages: 1 2 3