FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: About Relics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(08-29-2016, 12:35 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2016, 11:47 PM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]It is permitted to redeem a relic from such a profiteer.

This is heavily contested.
In general, it happens and mostly it is shrugged off or ran through a Confessor.  Also there is an entire host of games that can be played and motives/intents of various levels of justifications.  :shrug:

Of course with the redemption would come either  burying the relic preferably in consecrated ground or donating it to a Catholic church.
(08-29-2016, 08:17 PM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]I actually talked to my priest prior to "rescuing" the first class relic off of the Internet market. I actually thought about it for a couple weeks, then ultimately decided that the positives outweighed the negatives. For whatever reason, I believe it is God's will for me to be the caretaker of this Saint's relic for the time being. Why I don't know...perhaps a future vocation. It is better not to question these things that God does for us.

I definitely don't recommend it for the most part however, especially If you don't have the means to do so. Or at least discuss with your priest beforehand. I almost seem to have an affinity to first class relics. It is very sad to see them end up being sold for a profit on the Internet or end up in pawn shops...or worse, desecrated. Many parishioners have come across first class relics in pawn shops or been handed down to them somehow. That is how some parishes come to have large collections of them, because they are given by parishioners.

I guess I have no way of knowing whether the first class relic in my care is "legit" or not. The reliquary itself is at least 150 years old and most likely of Italian origin. It has the wax seal and everything to show that the purported relic has not been opened or profaned. Unfortunately I don't know anything about who "owned" the first class relic previously or its origins. Perhaps in this case, the devotion to the particular Saint is what is most important.

But what do I know, I'm just an idiot. At least the sellers committing fraud would think so. I've constantly been discouraged by other Catholics regarding any sort of religious vocation or vocation in general. Everyone wants to mold me into their own image or idol. Most don't want to accept that I am different and don't have their interests in mind.

I would ask that before you die that you write a will bequesting the said relics to a proper place or person.
Pages: 1 2