FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: About Relics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone recommend some good resources regarding first/second/third/etc. class relics of Catholic Saints?

I have read Vox's webpage on relics and I have some other resources at my disposal (such as the book "Relics" by Joan Carroll Cruz, the Catholic Encyclopedia's entry on relics, etc.) but I am wondering if some Fishies can helpfully provide me with more information regarding:

1. the classification or views on relics after the Vatican II council
2. how reliquaries are made to house first or second class relics
3. the history of the spread of relics (especially first class relics) and how they were acquired, specifically during the last 100-300 years---- from what I have seen, there are a lot of recent reliquaries (last 200 years or so) floating around the market
4. the different styles of reliquaries that exist
5. how relics are viewed in the western Catholic tradition vs. how they are viewed/classified in the East
6. how to be the caretaker and properly venerate a "rescued" first-class relic (I am one of these people....help?)
7. the wax imprints sealing relics to prevent desecration/profanation and the meaning of their symbols
8. issues of selling relics as if they are profitable objects

Hopefully all I stated above makes sense...I am looking for more information regarding the physicality of relics and reliquaries. There's already plenty of information on their classifications available online and elsewhere.
No extra information that anyone can help provide me regarding my earlier questions? ???
I only know of the International Crusade for Holy Relics. http://www.ichrusa.com/saintsalive/

The lady who took it to heart (in refer. Matthew IX, 20) that if she could just touch Jesus' cloak and was healed is evidence to the power of relics. Conversely, it says in Scripture about 'hating even the garment' tainted with sin. Why would that be, if these matters held no sway over us?

It was intriguing for me to venerate a relic of the true Cross, although I believe it is given with some uncertainty. Most of my involvement is with third-class memorabilia, touched to the remains of a saint.
the classification or views on relics after the Vatican II council

As far as I can tell there has been no change in how the Catholic Church views relics after the second Vatican Council
8. issues of selling relics as if they are profitable objects

It is strictly forbidden to traffic in relics as if they were profitable objects. Those who sell relics are insulting the Catholic people.
It is permitted to redeem a relic from such a profiteer.
(08-21-2016, 02:45 PM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]1. the classification or views on relics after the Vatican II council

The following is my observations and are only anecdotal.

Post Council:

1) The decline and obsolesce of the Altar Stone.

2) fixed Altar no longer required to have relics.

3) The rampant, whole sale destruction of side chapel relic Altars.

4) The absence of relics on Altars.

5) The reduction of Church sponsored popular piety and devotions.

6) Modern society denial of realities of dying and death. The Church's lessening of the focus od the same and redemptive suffering. 

I am sure there is more, but this is off the top of my head and should not be construed as anything but my first hand account and only an observation of what I, a biased person, has seen. Naturally though, all these can be found in the Mass of the Ages.
(08-21-2016, 02:45 PM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]7. the wax imprints sealing relics to prevent desecration/profanation and the meaning of their symbols

The wax seal(s) are the seals or devises of the Major Superior etc, who authorized the 'creation' (placement) of the relic and serves as an authorized authentication. The seal AND the threads serves as a proof that tampering has not occurred. The same seal/device should be on the certificate.
Officially before a relic may be displayed and/or used for a blessing etc in a 'public' aka church it must be perfect - with seals, threads, and documentation. The reality however, is that this is not terrible important and depending on the priest would not matter if there were defects in the proofs.  For anyone filing a protest with the local Major Superior over a relic being used that is not 'perfect', the relic might be shuffled off to the Sacristy etc for another time or destroyed. Locally sacred items are buried or drowned. 
The ugly truth is that there are a lot of fakes, even generations of fakes. Every single step can be and has been faked.  However, under the old Canon Law, charges of fakes must be proven or the relic stands as legitimate.
Major Relics (St Anthony's tongue, the body of the Little Flower, Shroud of Turin) have different stands  and are reserved to the Holy See.
(08-28-2016, 11:47 PM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]It is permitted to redeem a relic from such a profiteer.

This is heavily contested.
In general, it happens and mostly it is shrugged off or ran through a Confessor.  Also there is an entire host of games that can be played and motives/intents of various levels of justifications.  :shrug:
To demonstrate that eBay frauds are actually selling relics :

A deacon friend obtained some first-class relics recently from a religious house that promotes the causes of several Saints. These were in small gilded thecas along with the certification, recently and personally prepared by tthe Postulator General who was the one from whom they were obtained. The house asked for a $15 donation for the cost of the theca and the time needed to prepare the relics.

The same relic in a marginally nicer theca is listed on eBay for $680.

You can do the math.

(To be clear, the deacon is not selling it on eBay, but gave it as a gift Some other simonist is selling a different relic, but of the same Saint).

I'm, thus, divided on the issue. I don't see the money spent on "redeeming" relics as particularly well-used. The intention is good, and I don't think there's sin involved, but there's also the danger of creating and inflating a market for relics by trying to "redeem" them.
I actually talked to my priest prior to "rescuing" the first class relic off of the Internet market. I actually thought about it for a couple weeks, then ultimately decided that the positives outweighed the negatives. For whatever reason, I believe it is God's will for me to be the caretaker of this Saint's relic for the time being. Why I don't know...perhaps a future vocation. It is better not to question these things that God does for us.

I definitely don't recommend it for the most part however, especially If you don't have the means to do so. Or at least discuss with your priest beforehand. I almost seem to have an affinity to first class relics. It is very sad to see them end up being sold for a profit on the Internet or end up in pawn shops...or worse, desecrated. Many parishioners have come across first class relics in pawn shops or been handed down to them somehow. That is how some parishes come to have large collections of them, because they are given by parishioners.

I guess I have no way of knowing whether the first class relic in my care is "legit" or not. The reliquary itself is at least 150 years old and most likely of Italian origin. It has the wax seal and everything to show that the purported relic has not been opened or profaned. Unfortunately I don't know anything about who "owned" the first class relic previously or its origins. Perhaps in this case, the devotion to the particular Saint is what is most important.

But what do I know, I'm just an idiot. At least the sellers committing fraud would think so. I've constantly been discouraged by other Catholics regarding any sort of religious vocation or vocation in general. Everyone wants to mold me into their own image or idol. Most don't want to accept that I am different and don't have their interests in mind.
Pages: 1 2