FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Thoughts I've been having
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been thinking about how to structure my spiritual life and I had a really profound moment about two weeks ago...my boyfriend always has a happy demeanor, frequently tells me how much he wants me to be happy, etc. It really hit me how much I want to make him happy, too, to show him my love in that way, and to make God and the people around me happy.

Be the reason the Holy Face smiles.

Be the reason a statue of Mary doesn't cry because you've made reparations for sins.

Endure suffering and persecution with a smile.

No one is going to want what you have (ie, your faith) if you don't show how it's positively affected your life.

These are the kind of thoughts I've been having lately and I'd like to share them with you all in case you get something out of them, too. :)
Ha! I've been thinking lately that God is so lucky to have me because I'm the wretched reason He has the opportunity to show how merciful and good He is.  :LOL: But seriously, yes that's my big thought for the week.
(09-11-2016, 09:51 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]Ha! I've been thinking lately that God is so lucky to have me because I'm the wretched reason He has the opportunity to show how merciful and good He is.  :LOL: But seriously, yes that's my big thought for the week.
"My power is made perfect in weakness." :)
Yes,  I make Him look good.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

(09-10-2016, 11:22 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]I've been thinking about how to structure my spiritual life and I had a really profound moment about two weeks ago...my boyfriend always has a happy demeanor, frequently tells me how much he wants me to be happy, etc. It really hit me how much I want to make him happy, too, to show him my love in that way, and to make God and the people around me happy.

Be the reason the Holy Face smiles.

Be the reason a statue of Mary doesn't cry because you've made reparations for sins.

Endure suffering and persecution with a smile.

No one is going to want what you have (ie, your faith) if you don't show how it's positively affected your life.

These are the kind of thoughts I've been having lately and I'd like to share them with you all in case you get something out of them, too. :)

First, I'm so happy for you that you have a great guy you're all in love with (and, presumably, undoubtedly, have also vetted through your intellect). Beautiful!

But what you wrote is absolutely perfect. Spot on. You "get" it! You're actually in love with God, and that's the key to it all. You write as if your heart is soooo full that it's overflowing, and I love it.

We're all the time asking God for this, for that, for favors, etc. -- but how often do we ask what we can do for God? To paraphrase JFK, "Ask not what God can do for you; ask what you can do for God!" -- almost. I mean, we should go to God with our supplications and sorrows, but leaving out the other half of that, not asking ourselves what we can do for Him, is like having a relationship with someone whom you're constantly making requests of but to whom you give back nothing. And then there's the fact that so many of us not just make supplications, but make demands -- demands that, if unmet, lead to a falling away from the Faith.

And the thing is, all He wants from us is to love Him and to love our neighbors as we love ourselves, and to follow the 6 precepts of the Church. Of course, loving our neighbors involves following  the Church's teachings regarding such, and putting our will into action rather than engaging in mere sentiment. But still, aside from teachings pertaining to sex, which can be a challenge for a lot of people, how hard is it to just, as Spike Lee said, "Do the right thing"? To not murder, to not lie, etc. - especially when He's given us so much -- and promises us eternity with Him and, pray God, our loved ones? It's very humbling, isn't it?!
As usual, Our Lord says it best, as He did in Sundays Gospel reading (Lk 15:7, 10):

"So it is, I tell you, in heaven; there will be more rejoicing over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine souls that are justified, and have no need of repentance."

and again, farther on:

So it is, I tell you, with the angels of God; there is joy among them over one sinner that repents.