FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mandela Effect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Something weird IS going on.  For more information check out these facts...and see if you are blown away...or not...

C3PO Has a silver leg (on the right) AND ALWAYS HAS.
No, I am your father (Darth Vadar)
Froot Loops
Oscar Mayer
Berenstain Bears
It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood
Life was like a box of chocolate
Interview with the Vampire

Check it out online...verify it....weird wierd....
IT IS CRAZY!!!!

No, there's nothing weird going on.

People remember things incorrectly, using intuitive spellings for things instead of actual spellings. Names ending in -ein are much  more common that those ending in -ain, hence "Berenstein" bears of our memories rather than the accurate "Berenstain" bears.

Comedians  and banter popularize misrememberings (e.g., I don't think Cary Grant ever said "Judy, Judy, Judy." For ex., I've seen people go on about "Life is like a box of chocolates" when the actual movie quote (from Forrest Gump) is "Life was life a box of chocolates." But in using such a quote to relate the idea to someone that life is, indeed, like a box of chocolates, it just makes more sense to use "is" rather than "was." In that scene, Gump was quoting something his Mother had said in the past; when people use the line in conversation, they're speaking in the present.

People freak out because the car the Kennedys were traveling in when JFK got shot had three rows of seats, but they remember only two. That's just because cars with three rows of seats are rare, something most of us don't typically experience. So we remember it incorrectly.

People freak out because that Apollo 13 movie's line is supposed to be "Houston, we've had a problem" instead of "Houston, we have a problem." So Tom Hanks misread the script, and people checking the actual script announce to the world what the line "actually is." Then, as with the "Life is like a box of chocolates" quote, kidding around with friends about some trouble going on, one would naturally say "we HAVE a problem," not "we've HAD a problem." So people hear that repeatedly, become convinced that's what the actual line is, and there you have "the Mandela Effect."

I've seen videos with people freaking out how "they" are changing human anatomy. The example given was how the stomach isn't in the center of the body. Well, people who'd watched antacid commercials and the like see the cartoon depictions of medicines going down the esophagus and into a cartoon stomach situated in the anatomically wrong place, all because it's more aesthetically pleasing. But I used to want to be a doctor since I was 4 and used to pore over anatomy books as a kid, and I can assure you, the stomach has always been mostly on the left side of the body.

I've always known that "Froot Loops" is spelled that way. But I was the type of kid who used to actually read cereal boxes. "Fruit" is the intuitive spelling, so people misremember.

'Oscar Mayer" - there used to be a jingle from the 70s. It went:

My bologna has a first name
It's O S C A R
My bologna has a second name
It's M A Y E R
Oh, I love to eat it every day
And if you ask me why I'll say
That Oscar Mayer has a way with
B O L O G N A

It's always been spelled "Oscar Mayer".

The examples of this sort of thing go on and on, and they all have natural explanations.

And why, why, WHY would "they" spend time on changing the name of "Froot Loops" or of some bologna? It makes no sense.  Come on, man; don't go whacky on us!

I liked what you said. It is a breath of fresh sensibility to this nonsensical stuff. (BTW before I liked your post and for most of yesterday, Sept. 11th, you had 911 likes. Interesting. Must be some kinda effect?  :eyeroll:)

Most of the folks who are getting all lathered up about it didn't live in the era that the original saying or object was said or written. I have heard many comment about how J. C. Penney's was spelled before. Many saying it was spelled 'J. C. Penny's' or just 'J. C. Penny'. I pondered it for a while as possible, but my memory isn't what it used to be, so I thought it a 'perhaps' anyway. Then I was watching an old B/W documentary on the Kennedy Assassination, and the car was shown, BTW, with the correct number of rows of seats, and as it passed a mall, J. C. Penney's store was in the background.

Ya its all about how people remember things, indeed.
(09-12-2016, 10:14 AM)Zedta Wrote: [ -> ]Ya its all about how people remember things, indeed.

Indeed, indeed. Memory is actually quite fragile - it doesn't take much to corrupt it. Most of the examples for the "Mandela Effect" are readily explainable, like Vox explained.  J.C. Penney, for example, the common spelling is penny, so that's how we remember it. Berenstain is not common, but Berenstein "fits" better with our perception of what a last name should be, therefore we assume it should be Berenstein. Most cars have 2 rows of seats, not 3, so that's the JFK thing. I also knew Froot Loops was always spelled weird because it's always annoyed me since I realized that as a kid. The C3PO leg thing is easy to explain if you know how old-school film worked - sometimes frames were reversed especially if they were fulled to make stills. It happens all the time (I remember the famous example of Madonna's mole back in the 90's).

But we're so creative and intuitive, we tend to "fill in" the details of things. Think of a photograph from when you were a kid. I can think of a photograph of me on my birthday (which was just this past weekend), sitting on a chair at the farm, with leaves falling around me, while I opened presents. I swear I can remember that day, but if I actually stop and think about it, I don't really remember much beyond that moment. I was probably only about 5 or 6 in that photo. I "remember" the moment because I have a photo that shows it happened - but the details I've filled in since then. I know from doing investigations as well that people don't remember things the same from one month to the next, or one year to the next - as things replay in your mind details are changed and added all the time until you don't actually have the same memory at all. Incredibly frustrating from an investigations perspective, and I can understand how eyewitness testimony is actually considered very unreliable in legal proceedings if there's no physical evidence to match up with it.

Right on, Zedta and PM. As to "Interview with the Vampire":  say these two phrases aloud:

Interview with a Vampire

Interview with the Vampire

They likely sound exactly alike. But because "a vampire" feels more intuitive, that's how people remember it.
Wow people really excoriated me on this one.  I did not really expect people to take me that seriously about it, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.  What was really weird to me is that I did AND STILL DO have specific and concrete memories to the contrary of every one of the things I listed in the first post.  I am almost 50 years old...I watched Mr. Rogers neighborhood religiously for MANY years.  I have watched all of the original Star Wars movies so many times I have lost count.  It is just a little mind blowing to have one's perceptions so completely blown away.

It is true that I saw this on a kook video, I knew it was a kook video at the time, BUT what DID happen was that I discovered I was mistaken on several things that I have very clear contrary memories about.  I read the cereal box when I was a kid...over....and...over....and over again.  I REMEMBER contrary to what it really was.  THAT IS WEIRD.  What is stranger is that about half of the people that you talk to will acknowledge the same perception on at least some of the things I mentioned in the first post.  It implies that we are a lot more connected than we usually think we are.  Our perceptions seem to have a basic unity, even when we are fundamentally wrong about the facts.  Conspiracy theories abound concerning this "effect" but I think it is fundamentally and simply psychological.  To be perfectly clear I never said otherwise in the first post. 

Granted that people remember things that aren't true (I certainly have here in these examples).  It still makes me a little uncomfortable because what it basically means is that NONE of my memories are certain.  I cannot really count on a single one.  That is, at least a little, disorienting. 

On C3PO's leg. The first time I ever watched Star Wars was probably 4 years ago. Since then I've watch the original trilogy maybe 4 or so times. I've never noticed C3PO's silver leg... and this is fairly recent. It definitely has nothing to do with this crazy theory. It's an easy detail to miss, your mind is probably not focusing on that change in color and also people tend to look at people's upper body more than their lower body (unless they're checking them out, which I doubt you're doing to a robot  :LOL:). Also, some pictures have lighting that make it difficult to notice the difference:
[Image: dFk8zQB.png]

Also with Luke, I am your father vs. No, I am your father. Luke, I am your father is more quotable. Who's go around saying "No, I am your father?" Not very quotable, so people change No to Luke because it sounds better. There are so many movies out there that have famous quotes that are misquoted because they're more quotable that way.
(09-12-2016, 11:31 PM)Quenyen Wrote: [ -> ]Wow people really excoriated me on this one.

Sorry, Quenyen! I didn't mean to make you feel "excoriated" or anything!  It's kinda weird because I, myself, brought up the "Mandela Effect" recently, in this thread: Which Animal Will Lie Down With the Lamb?  It's nice to have a name for the phenomenon of "mass misrememberings," eh?
Its been a while since I contributed on this thread and I've seen some things that lead me to believe there may still be some legs to this story, but their just not the kinda thing once thought.

Back when we all posted on the Mandela Effect, I didn't know about this fella in the video. He sounds so normal, but comes across as a kind of 'zealot', the kind that has no bounds to his passion to explore the unknown and more importantly, he explains how there are many more like him. He/they are literally opening windows into places he has only guessed the construct of. A kind of technical manipulation of reality as if by magical means.

As it was said;"...When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you."

:comp:

Fascinating, but hauntingly spooky too this video:

BTW: Check out the part one video for some curiosities, indeed. Got me thinking if these are 'ripples' in effects these quantum Computers could be having. Link is below: