FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope confirms: Amoris Laetitia allows divorced/remarried to receive Communion...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...in some cases

Article at www.cwnews.com

Quote:In a letter to the Argentine bishops, the Pontiff praised a guide which they had prepared for their priests, explaining the Pope's apostolic exhortation. He said specifically that the document "fully captures the meaning" of Chapter VIII of Amoris Laetitia, which addresses the controversial question of Communion for divorced/remarried Catholics. "There are no other interpretations," the Pope wrote.

The Argentine bishops' document states that it is improper to speak about giving "permission" for divorced and remarried Catholics to receive Communion. Instead, the document emphasizes a "pastoral accompaniment" in which the priest recognized a couple's desire to live in accordance with God's law. This process "does not necessarily lead to the sacraments," the bishops' document says.

The bishops' guide recognizes the possibility that Catholics who are divorced and remarried may choose to live as brother and sister: the only circumstance under which Catholics in such irregular unions have traditionally been allowed to receive the Eucharist. However, the Argentine bishops say that there may be "other more complex circumstances" when that option "may not be viable." In such cases "a path of discernment is still possible," the bishops write. The document suggests that this further "discernment" could be appropriate if refraining from sexual intercourse would imperil a second union, "particularly when a person believes they would commit another mistake that could harm any children born into the new union."

The criterion of what the person in the objective state of mortal sin believes about it sounds like a rather subjective and dangerous criterion to use.
That someone divorced and remarried without the benefit of an annulment contradicts what the document itself says. 
(09-12-2016, 11:28 PM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]That someone divorced and remarried without the benefit of an annulment contradicts what the document itself says.

That's it in a nutshell!

But don't let facts or reality confuse the issue...
Vatican confirms authenticity of letter from Pope Francis praising a Bishop's document by stating: “The document is very good and completely explains the meaning of chapter VIII of Amoris Laetitia. There are no other interpretations.

The Bishop's document interpreting Amoris Laetitia states:

1) In the first place we recall that it is not convenient to speak of “permission” to receive the sacraments, but rather a process of discernment accompanied by a pastor. It is a “personal and pastoral” (300) discernment.

In other, more complex circumstances, and when it is not possible to obtain a declaration of nullity, the aforementioned option (i.e., living in continence) may not, in fact, be feasible. Nonetheless, it is equally possible to undertake a journey of discernment. If one arrives at the recognition that, in a particular case, there are limitations that diminish responsibility and culpability (cf. 301-302), particularly when a person judges that he would fall into a subsequent fault by damaging the children of the new union, Amoris Laetitia opens up the possibility of access to the sacraments of Reconciliation and the Eucharist (cf. notes 336 and 351).

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/vatican-radio-confirms-popes-leaked-letter-on-amoris-laetitia-as-authentic?utm_source=LifePetitions+petition+signers&utm_campaign=c003dff6c9-Update_Catholic_9_139_13_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c5c75ce940-c003dff6c9-398874273

I can't wait to see how the Popeolaters squeeze out of this one.
(09-13-2016, 10:24 PM)Dave01 Wrote: [ -> ]Vatican confirms authenticity of letter from Pope Francis praising a Bishop's document by stating: “The document is very good and completely explains the meaning of chapter VIII of Amoris Laetitia. There are no other interpretations.

The Bishop's document interpreting Amoris Laetitia states:

1) In the first place we recall that it is not convenient to speak of “permission” to receive the sacraments, but rather a process of discernment accompanied by a pastor. It is a “personal and pastoral” (300) discernment.

In other, more complex circumstances, and when it is not possible to obtain a declaration of nullity, the aforementioned option (i.e., living in continence) may not, in fact, be feasible. Nonetheless, it is equally possible to undertake a journey of discernment. If one arrives at the recognition that, in a particular case, there are limitations that diminish responsibility and culpability (cf. 301-302), particularly when a person judges that he would fall into a subsequent fault by damaging the children of the new union, Amoris Laetitia opens up the possibility of access to the sacraments of Reconciliation and the Eucharist (cf. notes 336 and 351).

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/vatican-radio-confirms-popes-leaked-letter-on-amoris-laetitia-as-authentic?utm_source=LifePetitions+petition+signers&utm_campaign=c003dff6c9-Update_Catholic_9_139_13_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c5c75ce940-c003dff6c9-398874273

I can't wait to see how the Popeolaters squeeze out of this one.
Not to be rude or disrespectful; what is a Popeolater? I am not familiar with the term.
(09-13-2016, 11:11 PM)TheCatholicKnight Wrote: [ -> ]Not to be rude or disrespectful; what is a Popeolater? I am not familiar with the term.

As far as I can tell it's a made-up word (combining Pope + Idolatry) for those who engage in Papolatry; i.e., "worshiping" every statement which comes from the Pope and making excuses for obviously inexcusable actions.
How else can this be interpreted than allowing communion for the divorced and remarried?

People defending AL have been saying that "well..when it comes to communion for the divorce and remarried the document is only talking about those couples living as brother and sister due to an invalid marriage but live together for the sake of their children"

As it turns out this letter blows that theory out of the water. It seems clear that one can be sexually active in an invalid marriage and now potentially receive communion not to mention confession if the circumstances for abstaining from sex are not "feasible"?

I'm really stunned by this. Adultery is a mortal sin, one cannot receive communion in a state of mortal sin, if one member of the couple in an invalid union knows it is a grave matter, and does it anyway, that's a mortal sin. When it comes to their personal culpability, I've never heard of a mortal sin of adultery being reduced to a venial sin because one member of the objectively adulterous union simply finds it not "feasible" to abstain from committing adultery with their new partner. Even if there were threats to leave the home if one refuses sex, this doesn't excuse further sin does it? Can anyone make sense of these concerns?
I'm not learned enough in moral theology to know whether there can ever be "limited circumstances" for giving Communion to those remarried without an annulment (though on the face of it, I do not see how it is possible); my immediate concern is leaving that judgment up to the persons in an irregular state.  But even if there are limited circumstances, my fear is that the publishing of this fact, and its attention in the media, will open the floodgates, and as with birth control, no matter what the Holy See may say on the matter, the whole Catholic world will go the way it wants to.
(09-14-2016, 11:06 AM)Acolyte Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not learned enough in moral theology to know whether there can ever be "limited circumstances" for giving Communion to those remarried without an annulment (though on the face of it, I do not see how it is possible); my immediate concern is leaving that judgment up to the persons in an irregular state.  But even if there are limited circumstances, my fear is that the publishing of this fact, and its attention in the media, will open the floodgates, and as with birth control, no matter what the Holy See may say on the matter, the whole Catholic world will go the way it wants to.

I'm afraid we're already there.
(09-14-2016, 06:58 AM)Logan Wrote: [ -> ]How else can this be interpreted than allowing communion for the divorced and remarried?

People defending AL have been saying that "well..when it comes to communion for the divorce and remarried the document is only talking about those couples living as brother and sister due to an invalid marriage but live together for the sake of their children"

As it turns out this letter blows that theory out of the water. It seems clear that one can be sexually active in an invalid marriage and now potentially receive communion not to mention confession if the circumstances for abstaining from sex are not "feasible"?

I'm really stunned by this. Adultery is a mortal sin, one cannot receive communion in a state of mortal sin, if one member of the couple in an invalid union knows it is a grave matter, and does it anyway, that's a mortal sin. When it comes to their personal culpability, I've never heard of a mortal sin of adultery being reduced to a venial sin because one member of the objectively adulterous union simply finds it not "feasible" to abstain from committing adultery with their new partner. Even if there were threats to leave the home if one refuses sex, this doesn't excuse further sin does it? Can anyone make sense of these concerns?

The document itself states that there is no change in the rules for receiving Holy Communion. Any of these exceptions would be just that. That would be where there are extenuating circumstances which would be the exception between the pastor and the individual seeking discernment. We would not need Amoris Laetitia to do that.