FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Neocatechumenal Way - good or bad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone please help me find helpful and accurate information about the Neocatechumenal Way? Everything I've read about it so far has raised my hackles, and it seems to be a group that either is dearly loved or bitterly hated.

It's coming to my parish in the very near future, and I'm trying to wrap my head around what it is and how I should be reacting to it (is it good? is it bad? will it be helpful or hurtful?) Or does any Fishes have experience with this group, either directly by participating or having to in your parish/diocese?
We have some local priests from "The Way".  Not crazy about it. They have their own separate liturgy. BUT all the priests I have known from "The Way" have been good men, holy priests, pro-life, and orthodox in most ways.  Have had talks with a good half dozen or so of these priests.
Here is an article from Sandro Magister. Especially interesting are the verbatim quotes from one of the defining books of the Neocatechumenal way.

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/art...0144?eng=y
(09-28-2016, 11:37 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone please help me find helpful and accurate information about the Neocatechumenal Way? Everything I've read about it so far has raised my hackles, and it seems to be a group that either is dearly loved or bitterly hated.

It's coming to my parish in the very near future, and I'm trying to wrap my head around what it is and how I should be reacting to it (is it good? is it bad? will it be helpful or hurtful?) Or does any Fishes have experience with this group, either directly by participating or having to in your parish/diocese?

They sure don't seem too interested in celebrating the Church's liturgy properly.  They're friendly, and orthodox in some ways, but they don't have a proper understanding of the Mass. I'm sure they're great people to have dinner with, but they tend to be part of the "get back to the way things were done in the early church" crowd (actually they're the epitome of that- that's what they're all about). I would think traditional Catholics would find this concerning.
It's not for everyone.
Should be carefully guided to orthodoxy.  As they are now, hard to see anything good coming of it, but being too heavy handed would drive them into outright schism.
Thank-you everyone for your replies. They have been helpful.

The rabid response of it's adherents in many com boxes suggests to me that this group preys heavily on feel-good, emotional faith, with an intensity that borders on cult-like. While certainly faith shouldn't be a uniquely cerebral event, this seems to take this to the extreme, focusing a sort of faith that wraps people up in like fluffy blanket - they're all warm and fuzzy but bound and restricted.

While I can see that maybe some good things can come from it, there's enough red flags for me to stay far, far away. That being said, I am somewhat fearful that it will incite further divisions within our parish (there are already some very deep ones, as recent events have confirmed), so I'm just going to sit back and see what happens.

What seems to be a mystery to me, however, is how groups like this can exist within the Church with papal approval (by Pope Benedict) despite all of it's weirdness, yet groups like the SSPX are shut out. It seems that the same standard for orthodoxy isn't applied evenly, and is wholly dependent on whether you are Trad/Conservative or Liberal/Emotionalism.
(09-29-2016, 01:48 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]What seems to be a mystery to me, however, is how groups like this can exist within the Church with papal approval (by Pope Benedict) despite all of it's weirdness, yet groups like the SSPX are shut out. It seems that the same standard for orthodoxy isn't applied evenly, and is wholly dependent on whether you are Trad/Conservative or Liberal/Emotionalism.

What is inarguably apparent is this Hegelian confluence of religious plurality. Not just among people claiming Catholicism, like the Neocats, I might add, but all religions countenanced by Rome, assuming fabricated "degrees of communion." But Almost Every "Catholic" group is accepted by the conciliatory Vatican UNLESS they do not embrace the new pluralistic heterodox situation. Benedict/Cardinal Ratzinger said uncompromising (to the new orientation) traditionalists could "not be resisted too firmly."

So doctrine discarding Neocats with their lay liturgy,Focolare, Charismatic Renewal,Tim Kaine , EVERY BODY, pretty much is accepted by the Occupy Vatican (modernist takeover) ExCEPT Catholics who can't accept this uncatholic impossibility. It's like Big Tent Republicanism and their position against the "extreme right wing." It's a Neo-Pantheon.

That's why the SSPX can't be accepted as is.

But the above is not descriptive of The Rome of all Time. I personally think we are in the time of the LaSalete prophecies and Our Lady of Good Success, among others.

Have a read of this disaffected sspx priest who points all this out, arguing Rome has lost the Faith and has reverted to its Pagan acceptance of all religions, except "rigorists"who don't play along in the game.

http://www.traditioninaction.org/HotTopi...XRanks.htm

This is terrifying and indicative of us being in the Great Apostasy , but it really can't be  denied the modus operandi of the Vatican coming out of Vatican 11 is Ecumenism( previously condemned) and a version of Catholicism palatable to non Catholics, which is no Catholicism at all.  It allows every manifestation except trad Catholicism with any teeth. See what it does to the FFI...

Beyond any dispensation for nostalgic liturgical affection, the hammer starts to come down.