FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict resigned early due to not being able to attend World Youth Day!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Monsignor Georg Gaenswein’s  says Pope Benedict hoped to stay in the papacy until 2014 but resigned a year earlier because of soccer’s World Cup creating a scheduling conflict with World Youth Day, both being held in Brazil

Monsignor Gaenswein made the comments recently, and said his  doctor had told Pope Benedict that he could no longer take trans-Atlantic flights.  Because  World Youth Day was moved up by one year due to soccers World Cup games to 2013, the pope felt compelled to resign because he would be expected to attend the event; but not being able to travel due to flight restrictions lead to the decision to resign early.

Well...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washingt...ent=safari
(10-03-2016, 11:18 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: [ -> ]Monsignor Georg Gaenswein’s  says Pope Benedict hoped to stay in the papacy until 2014 but resigned a year earlier because of soccer’s World Cup creating a scheduling conflict with World Youth Day, both being held in Brazil

Monsignor Gaenswein made the comments recently, and said his  doctor had told Pope Benedict that he could no longer take trans-Atlantic flights.  Because  World Youth Day was moved up by one year due to soccers World Cup games to 2013, the pope felt compelled to resign because he would be expected to attend the event; but not being able to travel due to flight restrictions lead to the decision to resign early.

Well...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washingt...ent=safari

I thought it was really touching that John Paul II came up with the idea of World Youth Day.  The fact that he wanted to spend time with the youth of the world, to travel to them in an age that was increasingly telling them that they're just numbers, just "human resources," made it important for someone to tell them that they DO matter.  I think he proposed something other than the false instilling of self-confidence that the world often offers the young.  He offered a proclamation that the young truly matter to God, and that He has a beautiful plan for each of their lives.  That's actually what I consider his most-redeeming thing.  WYD's implementation wasn't perfect, far from it, but the idea itself was a good one.  One problem, just because HE could spend himself like that didn't mean that his successors would be able to do that.  John Paul II was an extrovert.  Even though his health had really begun to decline, he probably found it refreshing, more than tiring, to travel to World Youth Day.  Benedict XVI was not like that at all, and advancing age can make personality characteristics like that grow stronger.  It can also be increasingly stressful to go against who one is personally.  If World Youth Day really had anything to do with his resignation, I imagine it was because he was tossing and turning at night, thinking about how desperately he did not want to do it, and didn't know what to do about it.

Is it right to ask an introvert in his mid-80's to travel all over the world, and to speak to large crowds while jet-lagged?  Somehow, I don't think John Paul II really thought this one through.  If a person has a good idea, they really ought to figure out how someone else who is not like them would be able to implement it.  Successful ideas are adaptable ones.  Just the same, Benedict saw the value in it and gladly continued the tradition of his predecessor, who he deeply admired.  Although I had too much going on in my own diocese to pay attention to how he handled Madrid, I remember noticing how happy he seemed to be in Cologne and Sydney.
(10-04-2016, 01:40 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Is it right to ask an introvert in his mid-80's to travel all over the world, and to speak to large crowds while jet-lagged?  Somehow, I don't think John Paul II really thought this one through.  If a person has a good idea, they really ought to figure out how someone else who is not like them would be able to implement it.  Successful ideas are adaptable ones.  Just the same, Benedict saw the value in it and gladly continued the tradition of his predecessor, who he deeply admired.  Although I had too much going on in my own diocese to pay attention to how he handled Madrid, I remember noticing how happy he seemed to be in Cologne and Sydney.

I highly doubt not being able to attend "World Youth Day" and travel was the sole reason for his resignation, but speaking of papal globe-trotting, this article makes a very strong point against such a thing.

"Papal trips are a noisy, expensive counterfeit of Papal duty – a frenetic sentimentalism disguised as genuine vitality. This high-energy neurosis is now of 50-year duration, the same period of the collapse of the Faith in every country on earth. Worldwide globetrotting may give the appearance of authentic papal action, but the results are useless at best, scandalous at worst. Meanwhile, the abysmal ignorance of the Catholic Faith amongst clergy and laity continues to worsen."

"After 50 years of papal trips, the chaotic condition of the Church and the confusion of the faithful have never been greater. Heresy, error and confusion abound.  Priests, Catholic university professors, theologians and bishop by the thousands pervert the faith and poison the faithful, while today’s Popes effectively ignore the problem, and stand before government bodies prattling on about environmental awareness and the abolition of the death penalty."

"The post-conciliar popes effectively substituted their primary duty to safeguard the faith against error with the Conciliar novelty of smiling dialogue and fevered activity. This concept of the Papacy would be foreign to Popes Pius XII, Pius XI, Benedict XV, Pius X, Leo XIII, Pius IX and all the Popes back to Peter himself."

"You can have all the papal travels you want; all the screaming crowds, all the tears and emotions, all the high-energy rock’n’pop liturgies. None of it really matters. It’s a façade. It’s shallow enthusiasm. There is no substitute for the Pope fulfilling his primary role, which is to safeguard the purity of the faith, maintain the integrity of Catholic morals, and discipline those Catholics – be they priests, bishops or civic leaders – who cause scandal by heterodox teaching and bad example...."

http://www.cfnews.org/page88/files/15949...2-498.html
(10-04-2016, 07:56 AM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2016, 01:40 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Is it right to ask an introvert in his mid-80's to travel all over the world, and to speak to large crowds while jet-lagged?  Somehow, I don't think John Paul II really thought this one through.  If a person has a good idea, they really ought to figure out how someone else who is not like them would be able to implement it.  Successful ideas are adaptable ones.  Just the same, Benedict saw the value in it and gladly continued the tradition of his predecessor, who he deeply admired.  Although I had too much going on in my own diocese to pay attention to how he handled Madrid, I remember noticing how happy he seemed to be in Cologne and Sydney.

I highly doubt not being able to attend "World Youth Day" and travel was the sole reason for his resignation, but speaking of papal globe-trotting, this article makes a very strong point against such a thing.

"Papal trips are a noisy, expensive counterfeit of Papal duty – a frenetic sentimentalism disguised as genuine vitality. This high-energy neurosis is now of 50-year duration, the same period of the collapse of the Faith in every country on earth. Worldwide globetrotting may give the appearance of authentic papal action, but the results are useless at best, scandalous at worst. Meanwhile, the abysmal ignorance of the Catholic Faith amongst clergy and laity continues to worsen."

"After 50 years of papal trips, the chaotic condition of the Church and the confusion of the faithful have never been greater. Heresy, error and confusion abound.  Priests, Catholic university professors, theologians and bishop by the thousands pervert the faith and poison the faithful, while today’s Popes effectively ignore the problem, and stand before government bodies prattling on about environmental awareness and the abolition of the death penalty."

"The post-conciliar popes effectively substituted their primary duty to safeguard the faith against error with the Conciliar novelty of smiling dialogue and fevered activity. This concept of the Papacy would be foreign to Popes Pius XII, Pius XI, Benedict XV, Pius X, Leo XIII, Pius IX and all the Popes back to Peter himself."

"You can have all the papal travels you want; all the screaming crowds, all the tears and emotions, all the high-energy rock’n’pop liturgies. None of it really matters. It’s a façade. It’s shallow enthusiasm. There is no substitute for the Pope fulfilling his primary role, which is to safeguard the purity of the faith, maintain the integrity of Catholic morals, and discipline those Catholics – be they priests, bishops or civic leaders – who cause scandal by heterodox teaching and bad example...."

http://www.cfnews.org/page88/files/15949...2-498.html

I do agree, but let's also not forget that traveling around the world has become MUCH easier in the time post-VII. The availability and reliability of air travel being the biggest factor. Unfortunately, many of these visits end up being just a show with nothing really important happening. It's just "hey, let's go see the Pope!" While it is a great thing for people to see the Pope, as many never have an opportunity to travel to Italy to do so, it's is more of a distraction than anything else. Then again, imagine a pope coming to the US, while going on the offensive and rebuking all of our lousy, so called "Christian," politicians.
(10-04-2016, 02:01 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Then again, imagine a pope coming to the US, while going on the offensive and rebuking all of our lousy, so called "Christian," politicians.

Yes. I think if that was the intention then the modern trips could be justified and it would be a totally different story.  From the article:

"Along this line, it is amusing to imagine how world leaders would react to a truly Catholic Pope visiting their country to teach uncompromised doctrine.

It is fun to imagine, for example, Pope Leo XIII standing on the White House lawn, saying to Barack Obama, “Justice therefore forbids, and reason itself forbids, the State to be godless; or to adopt a line of action which would end in godlessness – namely, to treat the various religions (as they call them) alike, and to bestow upon them promiscuously equal rights and privileges. Since, then, the profession of one religion is necessary in the State, that religion must be professed which alone is true [the Catholic Faith]….” (Libertas, 1880)

It would be double the fun to see Pope Leo XIII address US Congress admonishing, “If the laws of the State are manifestly at variance with the divine law, containing enactments hurtful to the Church, or conveying injunctions adverse to the duties imposed by religion… then, truly, to resist becomes a positive duty, to obey, a crime.  …  If laws of men contain injunctions contrary to the eternal law of God, it is right not to obey them.” (Saptientia Christianae, 1890)

It is fascinating to picture Pope Pius XI responding to an invitation to a New York interfaith prayer meeting saying, “Unity can only arise from one teaching authority, one law of belief and one faith of Christians … for the union of Christians can only be promoted by promoting the return to the one true Church of Christ of those who are separated from it, for in the past they have unhappily left it.” (Mortalium Animos, 1928)

It is intriguing to think of Pope St. Pius X addressing the United Nations with his words, “the City cannot be built otherwise than as God has built it; society cannot be setup unless the Church lays the foundations and supervises the work; no, civilization is not something yet to be found, nor is the New City to be built on hazy notions; it has been in existence and still is: it is Christian civilization, it is the Catholic City. It has only to be set up and restored continually against the unremitting attacks of insane dreamers, rebels and miscreants.” (Our Apostolic Mandate, 1910).

These solid Catholic teachings would be as welcome to world leaders as kidney stones, and the Pope would not be invited to visit any other country. Better this than the modern charade of Papal trips that are a counterfeit of genuine papal action."

In 1910, Pope St. Pius X refused to meet with President Theodore Roosevelt because Roosevelt was not Catholic and because he (Roosevelt) also planned to meet with a group of Italian Methodists. Definitely a very different tone then than recent papacies. Pope Bl. Pius IX met with former-president Fillmore, who was a part of the "Know-Nothing" party, a group known for its dislike of immigrants and Catholics. I guess it's one thing to meet with someone you know is your enemy, and another to meet with someone whose standing with you is not so clear.