FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: St. Jude Hospital
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I knew that St. Jude was set up by Danny Thomas, but didn't know the backstory. Well, here it is, from Wikipedia (ptuh):

Quote:St. Jude was founded by entertainer Danny Thomas in 1962, with help from Lemuel Diggs and close friend, Miami, Florida, automobile dealer Anthony Abraham, on the premise that "no child should die in the dawn of life". This idea resulted from a promise that Thomas, a Maronite Catholic, had made to a saint years before the hospital was founded. Thomas was a comedian who was struggling to get a break in his career and living paycheck to paycheck. When his first child was about to be born, he attended Mass in Detroit and put his last $7.00 in the offering bin. He prayed to St. Jude Thaddeus for a means to provide for his family, and about a week later, he obtained a gig that paid 10 times what he had put in the offering bin. After that time, Thomas believed in the power of prayer. He promised St. Jude Thaddeus that if he made him successful, he would one day build him a shrine. Years later, Thomas became an extremely successful comedian and built St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital as a shrine to St. Jude Thaddeus to honor his promise.

Wonderful!

And in case anyone out there isn't hip to how truly stupendous St. Jude's Hospital is, check this out, also from Wikipedia:

Quote:Funding

All medically eligible patients who are accepted for treatment at St. Jude are treated without regard to the family's ability to pay. St. Jude is one of a few pediatric research organizations in the United States where families never pay for treatments that are not covered by insurance, and families without insurance are never asked to pay. In addition to providing medical services to eligible patients, St. Jude also assists families with transportation, lodging, and meals. Three separate specially-designed patient housing facilities— Tri Delta Place for short-term (up to one week), Ronald McDonald House for medium-term (one week to 3 months), and Target House for long-term (3 months or more)—provide housing for patients and up to three family members, with no cost to the patient. These policies, along with research expenses and other costs, cause the hospital to incur more than $1.8 million in operating costs each day.

Philanthropic aid

From 2000 to 2005, 83.7% of every dollar received by St. Jude went to the current or future needs of St. Jude. In 2002 to 2004, 47% of program expenses went to patient care and 41% to research. As of 2012, 81 cents of every dollar donated to St. Jude goes directly to its research and treatment.

How powerful St. Jude is! And how lovely Danny Thomas must've been! Here's the Novena to St. Jude, as found on the FE Novenas page:

[Image: stjude.jpg]

Novena to St. Jude

Say once a day for 9 days, especially beginning on 20 October and ending on 28 October, the eve of the Feast of St. Jude. When the Novena is finished, you must publicly thank St. Jude for his prayers for you. This is often done by taking out a small ad in the Classifieds section of newspapers.

To Saint Jude, Holy Saint Jude, Apostle and Martyr, great in virtue and rich in miracles, near kinsman of Jesus Christ, faithful intercessor of all who invoke thy special patronage in time of need. To thee I have recourse from the depths of my heart and humbly beg to whom God has given such great power to come to my assistance. Help me in my present and urgent petition, in return I promise to make thy name known and cause thee to be invoked. Saint Jude pray for us and all who invoke thy aid. Amen.

Recite an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be three times. Keep your promise to St. Jude and make his name known.

(10-06-2016, 02:06 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]When the Novena is finished, you must publicly thank St. Jude for his prayers for you. This is often done by taking out a small ad in the Classifieds section of newspapers.[/i]

Keep your promise to St. Jude and make his name known.

Can someone explain this part to me?  I've always been under the impression that 'bribing' a saint for their prayers is frowned upon.  I've seen other prayers to saints that say you have to leave a particluar type of food somewhere and things like that, and this seems somewhat similar to me. 

Why do I need to take out a classified ad for this?  What is the promise to St. Jude I'm supposed to have made?

Thanks for any insights here.

God Bless

Michael
(10-06-2016, 09:33 AM)Michael Levanduski Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone explain this part to me?  I've always been under the impression that 'bribing' a saint for their prayers is frowned upon.  I've seen other prayers to saints that say you have to leave a particluar type of food somewhere and things like that, and this seems somewhat similar to me. 

Why do I need to take out a classified ad for this?  What is the promise to St. Jude I'm supposed to have made?

Thanks for any insights here.

God Bless

Michael

It's not a matter of "bribing" a Saint; it's a matter of thanking a Saint. The traditional way of thanking St. Jude is by letting others know what his prayers have done for you. This is often -- but not necessarily at all -- done by taking out a classified ad. It can also be done by just talking about it, leaving a thank you note near votives at church, etc.  The promise to St. Jude is just that:  letting others know that his intervention is powerful.

A timely post.  Thanks Vox.

As I've said here, I recently went through a health crisis where it was a touch n' go situation.  My family turned to St. Jude; said regular prayers and a Novena.  Obviously, I'm still here.  Instead of putting a "thank you" in the newspaper, my family is having a Mass said as a "thank you."  It's not really a situation of a bribe but a public thank you for the saint's intercession and my family is also praising St. Jude when they speak with people privately.  There is a real sense of thanksgiving.  I've seen "classifieds" in the newspaper thanking certain saints or the Blessed Mother from time to time but I personally err on the side of other ways of giving thanks.  Smile
It's nice the hear about something good for a change!  Thank you, St. Jude, and thanks, Vox. I needed that.