FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I've begun a Christmas project and would appreciate your help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been writing down various messages I've heard from priests' homilies and the like and began writing them into a spiritual journal (it has Bible verses and the like in it) just a moment ago. It then occurred to me that this would make a great Christmas gift for my mom! Starting it now gives me plenty of time to fill it up with good information and messages.

If you guys have a favorite Bible verse, Saint quote, etc, would you mind leaving it here for me to look at? I would really appreciate it!

Here is what I have added to the journal so far:

"God has loved us into existence." - Fr. Dan Donovan

"...my friends, with the coming of the Kingdom of God, in the person of His Son Jesus Christ, we are meant to be happy. God wants us to be happy!" - Fr. Dan O'Connell

"The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows." - A Carthusian (MeanGene's signature)

"...you and I have been stamped and sealed by the very Trinity itself." - Fr. Michael Coutts

"A Christian does not strain after God the way one seeks a lost object, he merely becomes more and more aware of what he already possesses." - Mother Angelica

"A servant of God ought always to be happy." - St. Philip Neri
"A single act of love makes the soul return to life."  - Saint Maximilian Kolbe

"We know what we hate in this war.  Do we know what we love?"  - Archbishop Fulton Sheen
Thank you, Sir Charles! Smile

In addition to the St. Maximilian quote you shared, I'm adding:

"Pray, hope, and don't worry." - St. Pio of Pietrelcina

"Joy is a net of love by which we catch souls." - St. Teresa of Calcutta

"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - St. Athanasius (c. 296-373 A.D.)
"If we fail to forgive, we're rejecting our own faith."  - Father Kapaun

"What Indians?" - George Armstrong Custer

All shall be well
and all shall be well
and all manner of things shall be well.  -Julian of Norwich

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. "  St Paul (2 Timothy 4:7)
To my knowledge, this person isn't a saint, but a priest once said something very important to me, even if it was because I misheard him.  LOL He was from Africa and had a very thick accent, and was sometimes hard to understand. He kept talking one Sunday about "the strength of our feet" which confused me, until I realized he was saying the strength of our faith.

But once I thought about it I realized that the message "the strength of our feet" made so much more sense on some levels. It's one thing to have faith - but it's another to just have the energy to keep putting once foot in front of another sometimes too.

So guess to sum up, "Sometimes it's not only the strength of our faith, but also the strength of our feet."

(I know that's probably not helpful...)
Thank you all again for your help!  I also found this really great quote by St. Cyril of Jerusalem:

"Since then He Himself has declared and said of the Bread, (This is My Body), who shall dare to doubt any longer? And since He has affirmed and said, (This is My Blood), who shall ever hesitate, saying, that it is not His blood?"

There's also this one I really like from St. Therese of Lisieux:

"I do not well see what more I shall have in Heaven than now, she once said. I shall see the good God, it is true; but as to being with Him, I am wholly with Him already upon earth."
The spiritual journal is complete! Thank you all again for your help! Smile