FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope: Women will be banned from priesthood forever
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Why am I thinking about broken clocks...? From USAToday:

Pope: Women will be banned from priesthood forever
John Bacon , USA TODAY
6:21 p.m. EDT November 1, 2016

The Catholic Church's ban on female priests will stand forever, Pope Francis said Tuesday.

The pontiff made the declaration in response to a female reporter asking whether he thought women would one day serve as Catholic priests and bishops, noting the head of Sweden's Lutheran Church whom Francis met on his trip there is a woman.

"St. Pope John Paul II had the last clear word on this and it stands," Francis said during a news conference aboard the papal plane on the flight back to Rome, according to Reuters.

The reporter then asked "Forever, forever? Never, never?"

"If we read carefully the declaration by St. John Paul II, it is going in that direction," the pope responded.

Pope John Paul II, in an Apostolic letter written in 1994, wrote that despite the church's long history of male-only priests, "in some places it is nonetheless considered open to debate." Not so, wrote the pope who died in 2005 and was canonized a saint in 2014.

"Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren, I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful," John Paul II wrote.

Vox Wrote:That there is the language of dogma.

"Who am I to judge?" falls short, even if it's very possible Pope Francis meant it to be understood to be a remark about judging souls. But whatever the case, it's funny how a throwaway line like that is so commonly understood to be revolutionary and of mega-importanc, as something to be understood in the way liberals interpret it, and as something to be held by all the Catholic faithful -- but what JPII had to say about women priests is seen as something that can be ignored.
Ordinatio Sacerdotalis is not a long document. I think it is well worth reading.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-i...talis.html
I think that it should be noted that prior to promulgating Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, Pope St John Paul II contacted the Anglicans and asked them what was the theological reason for them to ordain women. The answer that they gave him was a sociological answer.
Huh? Huh? Huh? 
That's a refreshing statement from the Pope.
If you read carefully he doesn't mention anything other than the hotly debated statement of John Paul II,and contrary to the USA Today piece he only says (of the prohibition ) that "it seems to be going in that direction. To me he is refusing to outright consider the question closed,only that according to his own reading of John Paul II it appears to be going in the direction of no women's ordination.

What will be really interesting is to watch the comments sections and the pieces written by America,Commonweal and PrayTell Blog and see how they wiggle around it.  Those will be key in framing the future debate- -and by no means is it over. 

To add to what FB said..

Bans can (theoretically) be lifted and imply some relation to temporal duration and even punishment for some infraction, which in this case is unintentionally misleading.

A female priesthood is a metaphysical impossibility so ban is probably not the right word to be using when this issue is brought up. 

In fact, this statement, although sounding strong, could be argued by progressivists of the possibility that at some point "female priesthood" could be unbanned
if for some reason it "changed direction." 

Any statement, it seems, that does not elucidate the metaphysical impossibility of this issue can potentially give hope to those who would hold out for "female priesthood" and fuel to the erroneous idea that the Catholic Church could ordain women if it really wanted to, but it's still too mean right now...
(11-02-2016, 05:59 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]If you read carefully he doesn't mention anything other than the hotly debated statement of John Paul II,and contrary to the USA Today piece he only says (of the prohibition ) that "it seems to be going in that direction. To me he is refusing to outright consider the question closed,only that according to his own reading of John Paul II it appears to be going in the direction of no women's ordination.

What will be really interesting is to watch the comments sections and the pieces written by America,Commonweal and PrayTell Blog and see how they wiggle around it.  Those will be key in framing the future debate- -and by no means is it over.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
When asked about women’s ordination, Pope Francis said, “On the ordination of women in the Catholic Church, the final word is clear, it was said by St. John Paul II and this remains.” When asked whether the ban on ordination of women is “forever,” the Holy Father replied that the statement by St. John Paul “leads in that direction.”

Pope Francis went on to explain that the Church is not discriminating against women by adhering to the male-only priesthood, but recognizing that women have a different role—and in many ways a superior role. He remarked that “women can do so many things better than men.” He remined reporters that the Church has a Marian as well as a Petrine dimension, and that the role of the Virgin Mary is more important than that of St. Peter. “Much more,” he emphasized.

https://www.catholicculture.org/news/hea...ryid=29801
(11-03-2016, 12:07 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]When asked about women’s ordination, Pope Francis said, “On the ordination of women in the Catholic Church, the final word is clear, it was said by St. John Paul II and this remains.” When asked whether the ban on ordination of women is “forever,” the Holy Father replied that the statement by St. John Paul “leads in that direction.”

Pope Francis went on to explain that the Church is not discriminating against women by adhering to the male-only priesthood, but recognizing that women have a different role—and in many ways a superior role. He remarked that “women can do so many things better than men.” He remined reporters that the Church has a Marian as well as a Petrine dimension, and that the role of the Virgin Mary is more important than that of St. Peter. “Much more,” he emphasized.

http s://www.catholic culture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=29801

Sounds like JPII again appealing to the female ego to silence it instead of just out right correcting it. The Church cannot afford to alienate men which it has successfully done for generations. Telling men they have a less important role is the best way to empty the pews of them. Ok, you got it covered so I might as well go where I am really needed instead of Church. Looks like Francis hasn't failed to disappoint again afterall.....
(11-03-2016, 08:00 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2016, 12:07 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]When asked about women’s ordination, Pope Francis said, “On the ordination of women in the Catholic Church, the final word is clear, it was said by St. John Paul II and this remains.” When asked whether the ban on ordination of women is “forever,” the Holy Father replied that the statement by St. John Paul “leads in that direction.”

http s://www.catholic culture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=29801

Sounds like JPII again appealing to the female ego to silence it instead of just out right correcting it. The Church cannot afford to alienate men which it has successfully done for generations. Telling men they have a less important role is the best way to empty the pews of them. Ok, you got it covered so I might as well go where I am really needed instead of Church. Looks like Francis hasn't failed to disappoint again afterall.....

It is not a question of importance or of who is more important than who. It is a question of complementarity. Let us look at women for a moment. Let us look at St. Teresa of Calcutta. Let us look at Mother Angelica. Both of these are giants of holiness and achievement. Neither one of these aspired to the priesthood. 
Pages: 1 2