FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Invevstigation of Fatehr Pavone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bishop Patrick Zurek of Amarillo, Texas, has announce an investigation into the incident in which Father Frank Pavone posted a video in which he displayed the body of an unborn child on an altar while making a plea for support of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

The bishop said that the display of an aborted fetus on an altar was “against the dignity of human life and is a desecration of the altar.”

“The Diocese of Amarillo deeply regrets the offense and outrage caused by the video,” the bishop’s statement said. Bishop Zurek said that the video presentation was “not consistent with the beliefs of the Catholic Church.”

Although he works in New York as head of Priests for Life, Father Pavone is officially a priest of the Amarillo diocese. The pro-life activist priest has clashed in the past with diocesan leaders in both Amarillo and New York.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=29892
Father Frank Pavone, the controversial leader of Priests for Life, has sparked outrage by posting a Facebook video in which he placed the body of an unborn child on an altar while making a last-minute plea for voters to support Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

“A human being has been sacrificed and the altar of God has been desecrated, all for politics,” charged Ken Mechmann, the director of public policy for the New York archdiocese. He described the video as “absolutely appalling,” and said that pro-lifers should repudiate it.

In a follow-up video explaining the video, Father Pavone apologized to those whose “sensibilities were offended,” but argued that the shocking image was needed because of the urgency of defeating Hillary Clinton’s bid for the US presidency. Father Pavone explained that his organization occasionally receives the bodies of aborted children, and gives them a proper burial; in this case, he said, he had offered a funeral Mass for the child after filming the video.

Father Pavone dismissed criticism that the exploitation of an unborn child’s body was inappropriate. “I refuse to be lectured by anybody—in the Church or outside the Church—about how to respect the unborn child,” he said. He did not comment on the complaint that he had desecrated an altar.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=29878
Father Pavone dismissed criticism that the exploitation of an unborn child’s body was inappropriate. “I refuse to be lectured by anybody—in the Church or outside the Church—about how to respect the unborn child,” he said. He did not comment on the complaint that he had desecrated an altar.

I have met Father Pavone and I respect his work against abortion. However this attitude of "I refuse to be lectured by anybody." is the wrong attitude to take in this case. Nobody is perfect and in our enthusiasm to do good if somebody goes overboard then maybe they should take a step back, make a retreat and think about what it is to be a Catholic and the respect that we owe the human body.   
Showing an unborn baby in a video pleading for people to vote for Trump is a good idea because it shows the ugly face of Clinton's pro-choice views and where they lead.

I don't think he should have put the child on the altar. I also disagree with the "I refuse to be lectured by anybody" attitude. That's not a good attitude for anyone in the Church to have. We need to have a healthy spirit of obedience and to listen with people with patience, whether you agree with them or not. Martin Luther [obviously I'm not saying that Father Pavone is a heretic like Luther] took that "I refuse to be lectured by anybody" approach to its most extreme and dangerous conclusions. The fruits are just not good, regardless of how far they take root.
He shouldn't have put the child on the altar.

But given the things that have gone in sanctuaries - including some of the things that have attempted to be consecrated - since 1970 without the least comment from bishops, the hypocrisy is very telling.
Putting the body on the altar went way overboard. 

It also appears to be a bit of lack respect for the body of the child.  Posters and images are one thing, but I'm a firm believer that the body should've been given a proper burial.

(11-10-2016, 01:27 AM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]Showing an unborn baby in a video pleading for people to vote for Trump is a good idea because it shows the ugly face of Clinton's pro-choice views and where they lead.

I don't think he should have put the child on the altar. I also disagree with the "I refuse to be lectured by anybody" attitude. That's not a good attitude for anyone in the Church to have. We need to have a healthy spirit of obedience and to listen with people with patience, whether you agree with them or not. Martin Luther [obviously I'm not saying that Father Pavone is a heretic like Luther] took that "I refuse to be lectured by anybody" approach to its most extreme and dangerous conclusions. The fruits are just not good, regardless of how far they take root.

Interesting connection to Martin Luther.
(11-10-2016, 01:19 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]Father Pavone dismissed criticism that the exploitation of an unborn child’s body was inappropriate. “I refuse to be lectured by anybody—in the Church or outside the Church—about how to respect the unborn child,” he said. He did not comment on the complaint that he had desecrated an altar.

I have met Father Pavone and I respect his work against abortion. However this attitude of "I refuse to be lectured by anybody." is the wrong attitude to take in this case. Nobody is perfect and in our enthusiasm to do good if somebody goes overboard then maybe they should take a step back, make a retreat and think about what it is to be a Catholic and the respect that we owe the human body. 

He didn't say he refused "to be lectured by anybody," full stop; he said he refused to be lectured by anybody about how to respect the unborn child.

And being "lectured to" by idiots -- no one should submit to that. Learning from the learned, respecting authority and paying heed to those with (true) expertise? Sure. But I, too, wouldn't submit to "being lectured to" about much of anything by, say, the typical SJW. Hell no.
(11-10-2016, 08:25 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2016, 01:19 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]Father Pavone dismissed criticism that the exploitation of an unborn child’s body was inappropriate. “I refuse to be lectured by anybody—in the Church or outside the Church—about how to respect the unborn child,” he said. He did not comment on the complaint that he had desecrated an altar.

He didn't say he refused "to be lectured by anybody," full stop; he said he refused to be lectured by anybody about how to respect the unborn child.

And being "lectured to" by idiots -- no one should submit to that. Learning from the learned, respecting authority and paying heed to those with (true) expertise? Sure. But I, too, wouldn't submit to "being lectured to" about much of anything by, say, the typical SJW. Hell no.

Even with the respect part, it's still an inappropriate thing to say. He is NOT the finally authority on this matter, at least as far as I know. What he's doing is plainly in contradiction to the Church's teaching about how a body should be treated after death.

Just because he has a just cause doesn't give him license to think he's above reproach.
(11-10-2016, 08:25 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]

Among those "idiots' are his ecclesiastical superiors. I think we should pray for Father Pavone because I see a train wreck in the making.
Pray Pray Pray