FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Article: Pope, in interview, laments ‘rigidity’ of youth who prefer Latin Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
From Catholic World News:"November 11, 2016
Cardinal-designate Blase Cupich of Chicago joined Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s Secretary of State, as a presenter at a Vatican press conference on the publication of Nei tuoi occhi è la mia parola (“In Your Eyes Are My Word”).
The book is the first unabridged collection of the future Pope Francis’s homilies and addresses from 1999 to 2013, when he served as archbishop of Buenos Aires.

Other presenters at the press conference included Father Arturo Sosa, the new superior general of the Society of Jesus, and Father Federico Lombardi, the former director of the Holy See Press Office.

The book also includes a new interview with Father Antonio Spadaro, editor-in-chief of Civiltà Cattolica. During the interview, the Pope spoke about the importance of listening to others, as well as his method of preparation for his daily Mass homilies.

He also discussed the sacred liturgy. Crux reported:
Asked about the liturgy, Pope Francis insisted the Mass reformed after the Second Vatican Council is here to stay and “to speak of a ‘reform of the reform’ is an error.”

In authorizing regular use of the older Mass, now referred to as the “extraordinary form,” now-retired Pope Benedict XVI was “magnanimous” toward those attached to the old liturgy, he said. “But it is an exception.”

Pope Francis told Father Spadaro he wonders why some young people, who were not raised with the old Latin Mass, nevertheless prefer it.

“And I ask myself: Why so much rigidity? Dig, dig, this rigidity always hides something, insecurity or even something else. Rigidity is defensive. True love is not rigid.”"
Source: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=29904
I had to post this from my phone. Vox, can you fix the link? Thanks
I am so DONE. With this papacy. I'm palpably angry and just DONE. I'm 35 and all this pope does is make me feel old and tired: very old and very tired.

Talk about being judgmental !
(11-11-2016, 01:00 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]I am so DONE. With this papacy. I'm palpably angry and just DONE. I'm 35 and all this pope does is make me feel old and tired: very old and very tired.
You and me both, Papist. I'm trying to encourage my boyfriend to receive the rest of his Sacraments (he was baptized as a baby) and practice with me someday (he's already agreed to take me to church...actually, he volunteered to take me to the TLM; I didn't even have to ask! I just said he was lucky to have one so close. He also agreed to marry me in a Catholic church if/pleasewhen we get married). Reading things like, "It's not right to convince others of your faith" from the vicar of Christ on Earth is just...wow.

Does he not realize, while he reaches out to those on the margins, that we are also on the margins? Jesus said we would be hated and persecuted, even killed. But he saves his biggest criticisms for those of us who are trying to be good Catholics in a world that finds the Church out of date. Instead of offering us hope, he calls us 'rigid' for wanting to go to the Mass of our ancestors and so many Saints.

This quote is appropriate:

[Image: 247126.jpg]
This pope is not worth listening to in anything.
very disheartening. 
Ugh. Grateful to see this reported. Thank you, Papist. If it were easy for you or anyone else to give us the exact question Spadaro put to the Pope and his full reply - assuming there is any more - I would be even more grateful.

I want to say something and feel strangled inside - similarly with the US election.

I will just mumble something about an autistic incapacity of imagination being apparent in both instances. Utter inability to imagine the values and motivations of the other side ...

My voice trails off.

But despite my (relative) silence, I'm still lurking here and most thankful for the commentary on these grave things.

I think he is mentally ill. We have to pray more for him.
Also, there is something truly, profoundly sad about people who are unable to appreciate aesthetic beauty. This might seem to be a small thing, and surely it is, but it is also a sign of something very, very sick. Have you noticed that there is never, ever a statement by him related to beauty? Not music, not art, not liturgy . . . . I am no psychologist, but I will bet the there are textbooks out there where this gets studied.
Nothing at all? Only harshness, dryness, judgment?
I'm of the opinion that this is projection, personally. I'm still praying for the Holy Father's conversion/reversion on a daily basis. That he does not care for the Traditional Mass seems quite evident, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5