FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Latest Papal Interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
                                                    He warned that a number of seminaries these days had reverted to legalism and rigidity which was the opposite of discernment, leading to a casuistic conception of morality with black-and-white prescriptions.

“I am very afraid of this,” he said, likening it to the “decadent scholasticism” which priests of his generation - i.e. prior to the Second Vatican Council - had been taught.

“The whole moral sphere was restricted to ‘yes you can,’ ‘you cannot,’ ‘up to here yes but not here,'” he said, describing it as “a morality very foreign to discernment.”https://cruxnow.com/uncategorized/2016/11/24/pope-despairs-current-politics-rigid-seminary-morality/

God save the Pope, and grant him many years... of retirement.
                                                              Let's try that link again https://cruxnow.com/uncategorized/2016/1...-morality/
Goodness! It's almost everyday now!
(11-24-2016, 04:59 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]God save the Pope, and grant him many years... of retirement.

God bless and keep the pope...

... far away from us.
                                                                      I don't know any other way to say it, but I feel like I'm definitely one of those people that Francis abhors.
I am neither legalistic nor rigid, but I know my faith well enough to know I had better follow the teachings of the Church if I want to make it to heaven, and that I had better not waver on that one bit.

I've encountered true rigidity and legalism. Most of the time, it's just something funny, just a phase people go through and it works itself out. It can get a little annoying, and someone may need to point it out, as with any other flaw.  Pope Francis' talk about "rigidity" is scary. As was my concern the very first time I saw him, it seems he's basically a 1970's, Latin American Jesuit, with all the baggage that entails.
I'd describe him as a hippie still stuck in the 60s.
(11-24-2016, 04:13 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ][...]likening it to the “decadent scholasticism” which priests of his generation - i.e. prior to the Second Vatican Council - had been taught.[...]

What does that mean? The decadent part I got, but scholasticism? Huh?
(11-24-2016, 10:09 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-24-2016, 04:13 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ][...]likening it to the “decadent scholasticism” which priests of his generation - i.e. prior to the Second Vatican Council - had been taught.[...]

What does that mean? The decadent part I got, but scholasticism? Huh?

They wanted a diminished influence of the work of St. Thomas Aquinas. In other words, they want the Church to break from the west's longstanding theological and philosophical tradition. Pope Francis can try whatever his alternative is and see if that saves his soul. I'll keep scholasticism.
Pages: 1 2