FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Saints and Deceased Relatives in Dreams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is the Catholic position on Saints and deceased relatives visiting us in dreams? I've read somewhere (don't think it was Catholic) that the dead are completely unaware of what is going on down on Earth and thus cannot communicate in any way with us. The Catholic sites say they can hear our prayers to intercede for us, but nothing about them communicating back. I am not talking about weird psychic medium / conjuring stuff, but simple the appearance of a deceased relative in a dream to encourage us or something. One Christian site I saw said trust no image since demons can impersonate people and even know everything they know. Any thoughts?
I'm posting to subscribe. I'm interested in the responses.

In Catholic tradition it is believed by some, that the dead are occasionally allowed to make brief visits to request our prayers. Quite a few people also believe that when the dead appear in our dreams it's because they need prayers. I subscribe to both beliefs.
I've read a lot about souls in purgatory being allowed to appear to people. If they speak it's to ask for prayers, sometimes they appear many times to a person and then once that person starts to pray for them, they stop appearing.  I don't know how common it is, but there are many accounts of this occurring.
Sacred Scripture tells us that it is possible for saints to appear to others, whether in dreams or awake.  Angels certainly can as well, St. Joseph readily coming to mind.  Whether any particular person's dream experience is a valid "visitation" is a different story.  It could be, or it might just be a dream.

Matthew 27:  And the graves were opened, and many bodies of the saints that had slept arose and, coming out of the tombs after His resurrection, came into the holy city and appeared to many. 

Other examples abound.  Moses and Elias appeared to the apostles at the Transfiguration.  The entire Apocalypse is a vision wherein Saint John converses with "deceased" saints, and it demonstrates that saints who have died are aware of what is happening on earth.

Although Protestants don't accept the books of Machabees as canonical, even if they were not canonical (although they are), they demonstrate that Jewish people of the OT believed in such things: 

2 Machabees 15:

But Machabeus ever trusted with all hope that God would help them.  And he exhorted his people not to fear the coming of the nations, but to remember the help they had before received from heaven and now to hope for victory from the Almighty.  And speaking to them out of the law, and the prophets, and withal putting them in mind of the battles they had fought before, he made them more cheerful.

Then after he had encouraged them, he shewed withal the falsehood of the Gentiles, and their breach of oaths.  So he armed every one of them, not with defence of shield and spear, but with very good speeches and exhortations, and told them a dream worthy to be believed, whereby he rejoiced them all.

Now the vision was in this manner: Onias who had been high priest, a good and virtuous man, modest in his looks, gentle in his manners, and graceful in his speech, and who from a child was exercised in virtues, holding up his hands, prayed for all the people of the Jews:

After this there appeared also another man, admirable for age, and glory, and environed with great beauty and majesty: [14]

Then Onias answering, said: This is a lover of his brethren, and of the people of Israel: this is he that prayeth much for the people, and for all the holy city, Jeremias the prophet of God. [15] Whereupon Jeremias stretched forth his right hand, and gave to Judas a sword of gold, saying: Take this holy sword a gift from God, wherewith thou shalt overthrow the adversaries of my people Israel.

See the pages on ghosts and dreams here:

http://www.fisheaters.com/praeternaturalworld1.html
I have a friend who was present at his mother's death. She was 90 and led a very Catholic life. She suddenly sat up talking to her mother and father reaching out to them. She then described seeing angels and lights before she died.
Another pal once told me his dead brother appeared at his bedside. He said he was allowed to come back to tell his family nobody was praying for him in Purgatory.

Now listen to this as it had me scratching my Catholic head.
A book has been written by an anaesthetist, a summary of which was published in last weeks newspaper. He was HINDO. He said he experienced many stories of outside-body stories from patients. He said all he was interested in was making money and had no time for such stories.
Then he himself got very ill and had to undergo a very serious operation where he had to be rendered 'dead' for one minute to patch an artery to the heart. He said he left his body, saw the operation and then went through the roof of the hospital up to the sky where he saw many things. then, all of audden he saw two angels. men with wings, he named them archangels michael gabriel and raphael. He said these were 'Catholic' angels and they told him his life of wanting money without copmpassion to fellow humans was wrong. After that he said he sank back into his body and later woke up.
On recovery he sold his mansion and cars, and is now living in a moderst home. He also set up an organisation councelling to the sick and disturbed. He never mentioned any conversion to Catholiciosm in the paper summary.

Now you know why I scratched my head..
Not sure how I feel about NDE, but I do find the ones of people who are actually about to die to be quite interesting.
Thanks for the replies guys! A family member claimed to have seen my grandmother in a dream the night she passed away. I don't know if I subscribe to that or not. Given the contents of the discussion it sounded plausible but I don't know.

What about the dead watching what is going on here? I can understand prayers and visitation to request prayers, but what about actually seeing what happens here?
(11-28-2016, 11:04 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: [ -> ]What about the dead watching what is going on here? I can understand prayers and visitation to request prayers, but what about actually seeing what happens here?

The Bible is clear that the saints in Heaven know what is transpiring on earth.  See the quote from Machabees cited earlier.

Also see:

Apocalypse 6:10:  And they cried with a loud voice, saying: How long, O Lord (holy and true) dost thou not judge and revenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

(They obviously know what's happening on earth; otherwise, they wouldn't know that they have not been avenged yet.)

Apocalypse 19:  After these things I heard as it were the voice of much people in heaven, saying: Alleluia. Salvation, and glory, and power is to our God. [2] For true and just are his judgments, who hath judged the great harlot which corrupted the earth with her fornication, and hath revenged the blood of his servants, at her hands. [3] And again they said: Alleluia. And her smoke ascendeth for ever and ever.

(The saints in Heaven know what is transpiring on earth.  In this passage, they explicitly mention things that are happening here.)

Luke 9:  And, behold, two men were talking with Him, and they were Moses and Elias, appearing in majesty, and they spoke of His decease that He should accomplish in Jerusalem.

(Moses and Elias knew that Christ was going to Jerusalem to die.  They talked about it with Him.)
Pages: 1 2