FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Among those born of women, no one has arisen greater than John the Baptist"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What did Jesus mean by this? Given the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady, I don't understand what He meant.
I do not generally refer to Catholic Answers but here is something from them on this passage:

In the passage, Mt. 11:11 Jesus is pointing out that the message of John the Baptist was greater than the messages of all the prophets that preceded him. John was actually proclaiming that the new Messianic age was finally and actually at hand. Our Lord was not calling John great because of his sanctity. Our Lady has that one, hands down. He was speaking of John as the preeminent prophet over the prophets who came before him because his message was the greatest.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

The reference to John's greatness occurs in a discussion of his role as a prophet (11:7-15). And the declaration of his greatness is occasioned by Jesus quoting the prophecy of the coming prophet (v. 10) who would herald the Messiah (Mal. 3:1). Jesus follows up the remark by pointing to John as the terminus of the Law and the prophets (v. 13) and as the fulfillment of the prophecy that Elijah (or one like Elijah) would come (v. 14).

This explains the sense in which John is greater than all others: He is the greatest of the pre-Christian prophets in the sense that he gets to be the herald of the Messiah himself. Indeed, some manuscripts of Luke's Gospel give the parallel to this saying as, "I tell you, among those born of women no prophet is greater than John the Baptist" (Luke 7:28, var.). Needless to say, the class of Old Testament prophets is a set to which Mary does not belong.
- Jimmy Akin
Christ Himself was born of woman. So yeah, I don't believe it was meant to be a blanket statement about all people.
(12-12-2016, 10:24 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Christ Himself was born of woman.

That too. I'm embarrassed I didn't think to include that.

That helped out a whole lot, BC. Thank you!