FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Not an active parish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wasn't sure where to post this.
  The parish I belong to seems to be very cold. Meaning not very friendly and hardly any activities. I an a member of K of C and another men's group both are very small. I attend Mass daily we also say the Rosary before every week day Mass. Attendance is usually around 10 of us. There seems to be many Sunday only Catholics. We do have a grade school but many of the students are not Catholics. I came from a large parish near Pittsburgh. I now live in central Ohio. I was told that our county is only 2.9 % Catholic. ( I live in Amish country). Father seems to have little interest in having an active flock or having it grow. I'm just wondering has anyone experienced this and what could be done to change this. I asked about having a Latin Mass you would have thought I had a an extra head on my shoulder the way people looked at me. The closest Latin Mass is over an hour away in Cleveland. Anyway Thanks for listening.
Do you have any other parishes nearby that may be more active?
I would say try another parish if that's an option, but it might not be with the demographics of your county. Anyway, I would say that when proposing a Latin Mass or something, I would not make the suggestion unless it is accompanied by information about how you personally are going to support the endeavor. Not saying you didn't; just make sure that you do. A priest will be more receptive if he knows he's not expected to do everything himself.

The other thing I would say is to work with other members of the parish who are of a similar mind to you. Try to organize events like coffee hour, talks, classes, etc., after the Sunday Masses. If you have a bunch of Sunday Masses, that might be difficult. The goal is to get people to be interested and to participate in the parish beyond just punching their Sunday obligation ticket. All that said, be prepared for *modest* results for a while. People are slow to change habits, and a great many Catholics fulfill their Sunday obligation and that's about it. Weekday events are nice, but if people aren't showing up during the week as it is, try and get them into something when they're already at the Church.
To be honest, I would just drive the extra hour for the Tridentine Mass. It's not the job of the layman to reinvigorate an entire parish - nor is it possible in most cases, especially if its a Novus Ordo parish.
I recently left a parish that was not very active. We had been fortunate to have a monthly Dominican low Mass for about 3 years; then were able to find a priest who said the TLM for another 1 1/2 years; but he was transferred. so we went about 95 miles each way every Sunday for Mass. Finally got the FSSP invited into our Diocese but that Mass was 119 miles from the house. Eventually a retired Jesuit priest got permission to say the TLM at a rented Catholic church. That lasted for 3 years. Then the Archbishop gave the FSSP a church only 80 miles from our house. Fr. Berg sent us a priest. Then last October the FSSP gave us a second priest. WOW!!!!!! Now with some help from another priest we can have the occasional Solemn High Mass.
(12-13-2016, 01:34 AM)Dave01 Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I would just drive the extra hour for the Tridentine Mass. It's not the job of the layman to reinvigorate an entire parish - nor is it possible in most cases, especially if its a Novus Ordo parish.

I disagree - the health of a parish is everyone's job, priest and laity. The pastor obviously has a greater responsibility, but the laity cannot just sit around waiting for a priest to fix things. That kind of passivity is how you end up with the NO in the first place.
(12-12-2016, 01:34 PM)BobR Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't sure where to post this.
  The parish I belong to seems to be very cold. Meaning not very friendly and hardly any activities. I an a member of K of C and another men's group both are very small. I attend Mass daily we also say the Rosary before every week day Mass. Attendance is usually around 10 of us. There seems to be many Sunday only Catholics. We do have a grade school but many of the students are not Catholics. I came from a large parish near Pittsburgh. I now live in central Ohio. I was told that our county is only 2.9 % Catholic. ( I live in Amish country). Father seems to have little interest in having an active flock or having it grow. I'm just wondering has anyone experienced this and what could be done to change this. I asked about having a Latin Mass you would have thought I had a an extra head on my shoulder the way people looked at me. The closest Latin Mass is over an hour away in Cleveland. Anyway Thanks for listening.

Which county are you in?

If you're willing to drive a bit, there are several parishes where you can find traditional liturgy (either Roman Rite or Greek Catholic) somewhat near Amish country that are closer than Cleveland. 

Saint Michael's is in Pleasant City.  Byzantine. 300 Church St, Pleasant City, OH 43772.

St. Emilian's is in Brunswick.  1231 Substation Rd (330) 225-9857

Saint George Romanian Cathedral is in Canton (note:  there is also an Orthodox church of the same name, but it's not Catholic).

Address: 1121 44th St NE, Canton, OH 44714
Phonesad330) 492-5246

Holy Ghost Ukrainian ,1866 Brown St, Akron, OH 44301 , and Saint Nicholas Byzantine are in Akron and Barberton, 1051 Robinson Ave, Barberton, OH 44203

Melkites have a parish in Akron as well:  St. Joseph Catholic Church · West Akron 600 W Exchange St, Akron, OH 44302

These might be a bit more of a drive, but the old Latin Mass is offered in Vienna at Holy Rosary parish, an FSSP parish, exclusively old Mass, quite active.

http://qhrvienna.org

Old Mass is also at Saint Sebastian's in Akron, also in Columbus and Steubenville.

COLUMBUS . Diocese  Columbus  Holy Family Church  W H  Sunday: 9:00 AM 
  Holy Days: 7:00 PM 

STEUBENVILLE Diocese  Steubenville  Christ the King Chapel, Univ. of Steubenville  Saturday: 12 Noon during school year 
  Not a Mass of Sunday obligation 

Steubenville  St. Peter Church  W  Sunday: Noon 

The Maronites operate the shrine in North Jackson.

There are about 10 other parishes in and around Youngstown.
(12-13-2016, 07:47 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2016, 01:34 AM)Dave01 Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I would just drive the extra hour for the Tridentine Mass. It's not the job of the layman to reinvigorate an entire parish - nor is it possible in most cases, especially if its a Novus Ordo parish.

I disagree - the health of a parish is everyone's job, priest and laity. The pastor obviously has a greater responsibility, but the laity cannot just sit around waiting for a priest to fix things. That kind of passivity is how you end up with the NO in the first place.

This.

The priest has the primary duty of offering the sacraments, but additionally he's also the de facto manager of a small corporation i.e. the parish. Some are better suited for this task than others.

But that doesn't change the fact that his primary duty is to offer the sacraments. It literally is a case, at times, of "if you build it, they will come". What does the OP want to see? Then spear-head it. Organize it. Get the signatures, get the manpower, and get organized. If you're the only person who says, "I want this", the priest isn't going to invest his time to facilitate it, and frankly nor should he to some extent.

But if you come with a "I want this, and so does 25 other people, and here's a general plan, what else do you need to get this off the ground?", you might get a better response.

Start small and start do-able. Maybe a TLM isn't an option right now, but what about having a period of Adoration followed by Benediction, if your parish doesn't currently offer that? Do it one Friday a month. Ember days are coming up - what about doing something for that? A Corpus Christi procession, even if just around the block. What about making yourself knowledgable about what priests in your area *can* and will do a TLM, so that if they're in the area they can come by and do a low mass for you.

If you can find even just 1 or 2 like-minded people (maybe among the Kinghts or their spouses?) you start from there. Remember, "if two or three are gathered in my name..."
(12-13-2016, 07:47 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]

That WOULD be the case if there was no Tridentine Mass available, and one would essentially be out of options.

Since there is one available, it would seem counterproductive to surround oneself with a rite (and presumably, those who support this rite) which is at best, leading to heresey and indifferentism, when one is trying to promote the exact oppsite - Catholocism and a healthy faith.

I am NOT suggesting the laity not be involved or leave everything to the Priest - rather, that it is (generally) only productive for the laity to be involved in the context of Tradition. 

Would you suggest someone who is trying eat healthy deliberately not go to a nearby healthy restaurant, and instead try to "convert" those who voluntarily eat at McDonalds?
Why not look for opportunities to invite you non Catholic neighbors to come to mass with you?