FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can the SSPX validly marry people?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I forget where, but I heard that they could not? Is this true?
(12-27-2016, 07:58 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]I forget where, but I heard that they could not? Is this true?

A baptized Catholic who is married before a priest who does not have faculties would be entering into an invalid marriage due to lack of canonical form. Whether or not the SSPX priests have the necessary faculties is another question, and one that different people answer differently. As for me, I would definitely have said "no" just two or three years ago. Now, I'm not so sure how I feel.
They can; faciities (i.e., the right to witness marriages within the Church) are given directly from the Church due to the current crisis of faith.

A more exhaustive and detailed answer can be seen below:

http://sspx.org/en/validity-sspxs-confessions-marriages

As a side note, this is NOT something the SSPX takes lightly. When my wife and I were preparing for matrimony in an SSPX priory, we had to sign an official document stating that we firmly believed there was a crisis in the Church, that in our minds this crisis would last for more than a month, that undertaking the sacrament of matrimony within the NO would be detrimental to our faith, etc. References to both the new and old codes of Canon Law were also replete within the document.

It's not just marriage that is in question, but also confession. Both Sacraments normally require ordinary jurisdiction, which the SSPX does not have and does not claim to have. The SSPX claims, though, that "the Church supplies" jurisdiction in times of crisis, and they claim that now is such a time. So it comes down to a question of fact: does the Church now, at this time, supply jurisdiction to the priests of the SSPX when it comes to the Sacraments of Penance and Matrimony? That's something for each trad to study and pray about, I reckon.
(12-27-2016, 11:02 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]It's not just marriage that is in question, but also confession. Both Sacraments normally require ordinary jurisdiction, which the SSPX does not have and does not claim to have. The SSPX claims, though, that "the Church supplies" jurisdiction in times of crisis, and they claim that now is such a time. So it comes down to a question of fact: does the Church now, at this time, supply jurisdiction to the priests of the SSPX when it comes to the Sacraments of Penance and Matrimony? That's something for each trad to study and pray about, I reckon.

The Church currently does, for Penance - it was supposed to only be for the Year of Mercy, but the Pope extended it.

https://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/...isera.html

For the Jubilee Year I had also granted that those faithful who, for various reasons, attend churches officiated by the priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X, can validly and licitly receive the sacramental absolution of their sins.[15] For the pastoral benefit of these faithful, and trusting in the good will of their priests to strive with God’s help for the recovery of full communion in the Catholic Church, I have personally decided to extend this faculty beyond the Jubilee Year, until further provisions are made, lest anyone ever be deprived of the sacramental sign of reconciliation through the Church’s pardon.
                                                                      Personally, I find the claims that the SSPX have a valid priesthood, offer valid masses, but that they lack the faculties to perform marriages and hear confessions, UNLESS it's an emergency or the Year of Mercy, a little bit too much like "Simon Says".
(12-27-2016, 11:33 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]                                                                      Personally, I find the claims that the SSPX have a valid priesthood, offer valid masses, but that they lack the faculties to perform marriages and hear confessions, UNLESS it's an emergency or the Year of Mercy, a little bit too much like "Simon Says".

The validity of Holy Orders and the Eucharist doesn't depend on permission from the Church. Penance and Matrimony do - we aren't Protestants where anyone can be a minister. Yes, it's a confusing situation, but having a visible, hierarchical Church means having a visible hierarchy.
(12-27-2016, 11:02 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]It's not just marriage that is in question, but also confession. Both Sacraments normally require ordinary jurisdiction, which the SSPX does not have and does not claim to have. The SSPX claims, though, that "the Church supplies" jurisdiction in times of crisis, and they claim that now is such a time. So it comes down to a question of fact: does the Church now, at this time, supply jurisdiction to the priests of the SSPX when it comes to the Sacraments of Penance and Matrimony? That's something for each trad to study and pray about, I reckon.

The Holy Father has given the SSPX priests the faculties to validly absolve those who approach them for confession. 
If you want your marriage to be valid this is the rule book that you have to follow;

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM
I wish this SSPX canonical status thing would just be cleared up. It's way too confusing as it is. Pope Francis extending the validity of their confessions is good, but also confusing. The way it stands now, there are people like myself who won't feel comfortable approaching the Society because of their status until it's sorted out. Their unusual status seems to be affecting them pretty adversely as well, since they've split into the camps of "mainstream" SSPX and the Resistance.
Pages: 1 2