FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Confession and Communion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a question about Confession and Communion. I know we are supposed to go to Confession before receiving Communion. I have seen some schools of thought though (some claiming to be Catholic) that said its better to take Communion since it will strengthen you provided you are truly sorry for what you have done. A priest told me that at one time in Church history it was actually heresy to think you could ever be worthy of Communion so people we're instructed to receive with the acceptance that they are sorry for their sins as the body of Christ was given up for sinners.

Here are some circumstances I'm in now. I have a family member (4 to be precise) that due to their behavior over the passing of my grandmother have made me very angry. I'll admit that I have said and thought some very uncharitable things about them since my last Confession. I've also gotten quite upset again to the point of using profanity over a business transaction lagging because the other party's representative is a lackadaisical airhead that has cost me additional money at a time when it is tight.

I'll admit I haven't taken a deep breath to cool down and think as often as I should have here but I am on vacation away from my usual confessors. Any thoughts would be helpful.
I think you're being too rigid. LOL

Quote:A priest told me that at one time in Church history it was actually heresy to think you could ever be worthy of Communion so people we're instructed to receive with the acceptance that they are sorry for their sins as the body of Christ was given up for sinners.

It was explained to me like this as well. Essentially, one should receive Communion unless they've committed a mortal sin.

Since you're on vacation (lucky Sticking tongue out at you), is there a traditional parish reasonably close?
(12-31-2016, 10:40 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]I think you're being too rigid. LOL

Quote:A priest told me that at one time in Church history it was actually heresy to think you could ever be worthy of Communion so people we're instructed to receive with the acceptance that they are sorry for their sins as the body of Christ was given up for sinners.

It was explained to me like this as well. Essentially, one should receive Communion unless they've committed a mortal sin.

Since you're on vacation (lucky Sticking tongue out at you), is there a traditional parish reasonably close?

Well, technically I have. Jesus said speaking wrathfully against another is the equivalent of killing them. I'm not sure if there is one close by.
If you are in the state of mortal sin then you should not receive Holy Communion.

I recommend the following;

If you are bothered by thoughts of anger and hatred about other people then say this prayer. "Oh Jesus I love this person who annoys me because You love them."

Remember we are our own worst enemy. 
(12-31-2016, 10:29 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: [ -> ]I know we are supposed to go to Confession before receiving Communion.

That's true or false, depending on what you mean.

— You are obliged to confess your mortal sins once per year (unless you are physically or morally unable to do so). You are also obliged to make at least one good Communion per year between the First Sunday of Lent and Trinity Sunday. Those are precepts of the Church, and they bind under pain of grave sin.

— You are obliged to confess mortal sins you are certain you have committed since your last confession, before you can go to Communion (even if you've made a Perfect Act of Contrition since then).

— You are not obliged to confess before communion if you are not certainly guilty of any mortal sins since your last confession.

(12-31-2016, 10:29 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen some schools of thought though (some claiming to be Catholic) that said its better to take Communion since it will strengthen you provided you are truly sorry for what you have done.

This is only acceptable if you mean venial sin.

There is one school of thought, following St. Thomas, that would argue that for those in inculpable and invincible blindness of their state of sin, the Eucharist could possibly restore Sanctifying Grace, or in the case where there was some grave necessity and inability to confess, but we're talking the case where, e.g. a nuclear missile is on it's way, and there's only a deacon around to give Viaticum, before we all become well-done steak.

(12-31-2016, 10:29 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: [ -> ]A priest told me that at one time in Church history it was actually heresy to think you could ever be worthy of Communion so people we're instructed to receive with the acceptance that they are sorry for their sins as the body of Christ was given up for sinners.

That's the Jansenist heresy. Jansenists thought that man was so unworthy that he could never be perfectly fit for Communion, so either he should never go, or rarely and only after serious purgation. This was why the age of first communion crept up, before St. Pius X pushed it back down to the age of reason. It's also the reason for the "Solemn Communion" originating from French-influenced customs, since one is not "worthy" enough unless one is aware of what's happening and can truly be attentive.

Some of the anti-Jansenists focused on encouraging Communion despite the feeling of unworthiness, but never would have suggested that one in mortal sin could Communicate.

(12-31-2016, 10:29 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: [ -> ]Here are some circumstances I'm in now. I have a family member (4 to be precise) that due to their behavior over the passing of my grandmother have made me very angry. I'll admit that I have said and thought some very uncharitable things about them since my last Confession. I've also gotten quite upset again to the point of using profanity over a business transaction lagging because the other party's representative is a lackadaisical airhead that has cost me additional money at a time when it is tight.

I'll admit I haven't taken a deep breath to cool down and think as often as I should have here but I am on vacation away from my usual confessors. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Anger is, in itself, a mortal sin, but we have to consider the gravity of the matter. Because the matter is usually not extremely serious, what most people would confess as "anger" is a venial sin. Certainly it should be avoided, but it would not prevent one for Communicating.

Also, remember that anger is also a very natural (and good) reaction to evil and injustice. We can be angry for a good reason and it may even be virtuous. To see a woman being raped and get angry at the evil, attack and even kill the attacker is a legitimate and even good use of that passion. That same natural reaction can be used badly, too. Because it's a passion, however, it often gets the jump on us, before we even give sufficient consideration to make it sinful. Recall that sin is a deliberate act, which means we have to have reflected sufficiently to commit a sin.

It does sound like you may have lost your cool beyond a reasonable measure (thus there is probably some sin), but it did not rise to a gravely serious level, but really only you know the specifics of these incidents. That said, an Internet forum is hardly the place to air all the details of your sins to determine the gravity.

If you think you've sinned mortally, confess before you Communicate.

Better, though, try to, with your regular confessor, train your conscience so you do not fall into scruples or over-sensitivity and begin thinking of every venial sin as grave. That's one way the devil keeps us away from Communion, where we would get the strength to fight off further venial sin and even mortal sin.
Is it possible to just pick a random parish and go to Confession? It has it's advantages...

I know what you mean about the anger thing, however. It's the thing that drives me to the confessional more than anything, and I often struggle what I should do in between confessions.
Never under any circumstances take Holy Communion while in a state of mortal sin.  Doing so consciously will damn your soul even more and incur greater wrath from God.

Also denounce anyone spouting that blasphemy that states one should take Holy Communion while in a state of mortal sin, in order to be encouraged to go to Confession.

Encouragement to repent is received by grace from God, taking Holy Communion unworthily does not impart grace, but incurs further damnation due to the sacrilege committed and only serves to instil increased perfidy in the heart.
Confession and Communion have a different relationship depending on your parish and whether you're Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Russian or whatever. 

Communion IS meant to be medicine for the weak, NOT a reward for the ultra scrupulous and pious Puritan....but you mustn't be conscious of serious sin.

Find a balance,but trust more in God's mercy than your own sinfulness. At least that is how I tend to see it. 

(01-01-2017, 10:03 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to just pick a random parish and go to Confession? It has it's advantages...

I know what you mean about the anger thing, however. It's the thing that drives me to the confessional more than anything, and I often struggle what I should do in between confessions.

You can go to whatever parish you choose to go to confession. I recommend that you choose a priest in whom you feel that you can confide.
(01-05-2017, 12:32 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2017, 10:03 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to just pick a random parish and go to Confession? It has it's advantages...

You can go to whatever parish you choose to go to confession. I recommend that you choose a priest in whom you feel that you can confide.

The bold is hard to do when its not your home parish  Sticking tongue out at you
Pages: 1 2